PDA

View Full Version : Jaleo,

Billy_the_Kid
04-30-2003, 01:52 PM
Hi buds,

I am looking for a good alternative to Flame and a friend told me good things about Jaleo.... So, what do you think about this system? Would be a good alternative to Discreet´s high ends?

And about NUKE? I am looking some informations about this solution, but I cant get any answer from D2 or DD.....
:thumbsdow

Thanx and regards,
Carlos Eduardo

beaker
04-30-2003, 07:10 PM
What are you looking to do with the compositor? Nuke is definatly not for client based compositing sessions like FFI and Jaleho. Your looking at two very different solutions.

Billy_the_Kid
04-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Hi beaker,

I know. I am looking for a good alternative for Flame. The best one would be a 5D Cyborg, but..... : ( This way, Jaleo looks a good solution.

About Nuke, I am just searching some comments....

Could you help me?

Thanx again
CarlosEduardo

CoolBlueMan
05-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Hi Billy,

i have been working with Jaleo for six years. It is a very good alternative, but depending on what you want to do with it, as usual.

It is more similar to Smoke, than to Flame.

Jaleo is very good as an editing and compositing (all in one) software. It fits well in commercial works, spots, trailers and any kind of work where there is no time and there is compositing work, and you need real time with the playbacks (instead of play to RAM).

But it runs on SGI computers, and cannot work with more than 8 bits. So if you want to do very complicated compostions with great color depth, it would be better to work with Shake.

It is also a bit complicated, and it doesn't look like any other compositing software. The most similar one would be Smoke.

Hope this info is useful for you.

dmeyer
05-26-2003, 10:00 PM
How about Flint?

Tough to say without knowing what your typical workload entails...resolution? color depth? etc

Billy_the_Kid
05-27-2003, 01:00 PM
Hey CoolBlueMan,

Thanx very much.

Jaleo looks great. The only (and big) problem is running over SGI machines.
I am working with Shake 2.51 right now. Well, maybe I´m wrong but Shake is not so good for Broadcast works.

Comments will be great.....

carloseduardo

xmb
05-27-2003, 08:47 PM
i've tested nuke and i'm not very excited about it. maybe because i'm more towards design, graphics animation/ motiongraphics than too technical compositing. but neverthless i would rather choose digital fusion, shake or combustion over nuke. thats just my opinion. i think the guys at digital domain know why they are using it and what for...

its sad that discreet stopped their toxik/ strata / mezzo project. i hope that there will be more 5d technology in the next release of combustion. 3.0 has to be faster, stabler and have some more highend options (at least a better flowchart .- something like df or shake or flame/ inferno)

also cool would be to have some editing functions in c3, since there is no more edit.

chicolima
05-28-2003, 02:29 AM
Hi Billy the Kid,

Unfortunately 5D Cyborg would be an exelent alternative but it's now dead.

Anyways, you still have:

- Piranha and Mule from Electronic Farm.

Both of them also run on SGI systems but Piranha has just released a Linux version.

Piranha is developed by Interactive Fx.

Here's the release that mentions their Piranha Fx for Linux:

http://www.ifx.com/pages/press/2002/prNAB2K2.html

Piranha also uses the OpenGL hardware like Discreet so it means that it is a very interactive systems.

I also read that the same company that develops Jaleo was going to release a compositing and Visual Effects Solution called Mistika at NAB 2003. I saw some screenshots and it seemed to be interesting. It did show a 3D Compositing Module. But I haven't heard anything about it since then.

It's really hard to find an alternative to a Flame and it will really depend on your type of work and workflow and also on the amount of $$ you're willing to expend.

The systems above will cost you way more than U$ 10K just for the software.

Then for a really good Linux workstation you'll probably need a Wildcat Graphics card for exelent Open GL performance as well as a DVS card for Video I/O. This was the Cyborg configuration and this is probably what Piranha uses too.

So at the end you'll probably end up expending from U$ 15k to $25K just for the hardware.

I hope you're doing well.

Francisco

Billy_the_Kid
05-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Hi Chico,

Is great talk to you again:beer:

I already heard a lot of things about Piranha and It looks amazing. If it running over Linux would be a very good alternative for Jaleo.
I never heard something about Mistika.
But, I am afraid of these small companies. We saw Nothing Real, bought for Apple and 5D closed for financial problems.

Best regards,
CarlosEduardo

PS. Ei Chico, seria meio estranho trabalhar com "Piranha"....
Abraços do amigo

andre_alder
05-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Hello,

And what do you think about Digital Fusion?

Another question: is there any Post production house work with Piranha?

AD

CoolBlueMan
05-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by chicolima
Hi Billy the Kid,
I also read that the same company that develops Jaleo was going to release a compositing and Visual Effects Solution called Mistika at NAB 2003. I saw some screenshots and it seemed to be interesting. It did show a 3D Compositing Module. But I haven't heard anything about it since then.
Francisco

You can find more information about Mistika at:
www.sgo.es

It is more or less a new, updated, and reviewed version of Jaleo. Its UI is much more sophisticated and similar to the latest compositing apps. And maybe (I'm not sure), it is resolution independent. I suppose that now, it is an alternative to Flame or Smoke, more than before. I like it much more. Flame will never get the freedom you have with Jaleo and Mistika.

It has three different configurations, still on SGI, but with an interesting add on. It works with a SUN, for the storage, so it can share the disks with other systems. And the more important improvement, it can use a linux cluster for the rendering, so you don't have limits for the render speed. And you can work while you render.

Anyway, I think Shake is best for complicated compositions working shot by shot. Mistika will be better option when editing and compositing get combined most the time, and each layer is a complicated edition ( and/or composition) of many different sources; and times of the shots or of the whole composition/edition are too huge to load them in RAM.

Of course, this is a combination of expensive hardarwe with expensive software.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.