PDA

View Full Version : Painter problems with Mac Pro

fenixway
02-10-2008, 06:52 PM
HI
I just received my Mac Pro after returning the imac core 2 duo, (that had an awfull problem with the monitor), right away i installed Corel Painter X and experimented a bit, when i tried to save the document , BAM! Crashed! I tought i did something wrong with the installation so i did again and then with a new installation i tried to save another document in another format and BAM, crashed again, i tried everything and just doesnt work. Its amazing! How can this happen with a program like Corel Painter?! Does anyone have this problem?

Fenixway

Tim3308
02-14-2008, 05:36 PM
No crashes here w/ my new "early 2008" Mac pro, but as in you mention in another thread, something is wrong w/ "rotate" -- I have to do only by entering the numbers, can't be done w/ wacom pen or mouse. (Did you "migrate" your system by chance? I read so many mixed reviews on that regarding apps, I did it all by hand.)

Also the upgrade underscores how OS X.5 (Leopard) and Photoshop (able to take advantage of dual processors) work together w/ OS able to throw more system memory PS's way, so it's greased lightning w/ all the set ups things I've done -- system and apps on one disc, a data(user)disc, scratch disk, 10 GB of RAM... and while Painter X is indeed working faster for me in many areas, you can just easily tell it's still running on "training wheels" on powerful machine w/ selections etc., compared to other apps, as it can not keep up. Painter is a wonderful program, it's brush engine and natural media replication is unrivaled(!!), but the rest is at an amateur level in terms horsepower. It is glaring that it can not use multiple processors in 2008. Glaring!

fenixway
02-14-2008, 11:41 PM
I totally agree with you Tim.
I used to do all my work on Photoshop and then i decided to buy Painter because, and as you say, it simulates painting and drawing almost like the real thing and its much better in that than Ps, but some features are really annoying and leave me a little disapponted...

Fenixway

Tim3308
02-15-2008, 05:01 AM
Fenixway, I assume you saw this post?:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=112&t=560021

workbench
02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
The problem is that Corel still thinks we're in 1998! All their products have terrible support.

marlouin
05-05-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm using Painter since version 9 and I'm very disappointed by it's (non) evolution. Ok they didn't take so long to migrate to intel, that's the only good point.

But in an other hand the undos ( the thing that irritate me the most) are still so slow, as you said it's still using only one processor. Not to count all the interface oldness + bugs.

Do Corel don't care at all and only add gimmick features, nevermind the rusty 90's foundations, continuing photoshop copycat to make it looks ok, never fix those things that are in the middle of the nose...

It's only the quality of the brushes that still makes me use it.

chillie
05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi Fenixway:

You could try to reset Painter to the factory default by holding down the shift key while launching and choosing 'All workspaces' or 'Current workspace' on the reset dialog.

Guardstone
05-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Great... Got brand new Mac Pro arriving next week (8-core, stuffed with RAM, the usual specs these days) together with an upgrade to Painter IX cause it needs to run on Intel, and I'm looking at my main application as the thing that will run sub-optimal at best, and is even likely to crash when save a file.
I can't even begin to express my frustration towards Corel!

A patch, folks, we need a PATCH!!!

kraal
05-08-2008, 10:56 PM
honestly i think these are minimum and isolated issues... i use painter x and it moves just fine saves and never crashes. i would look into other issues.

Guardstone
05-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Well, my Mac Pro arrived last week together with an upgrade to Painter X and this combination is WAAAAAAAAY slower than Painter IX on a 7 year old Windows machine. Unbelievable...

Miguimau
05-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Too much RAM for Painter to address, perhaps? I remember this kind of issues in Painter 6.
Im on a Macbook Pro, 2GB of RAM and Painter IX and X it perform well, though.
But I have just received my 10 bucks Painter 7 bought in Ebay and I.m happy, even using Rossetta emulation. Best version ever! :)

Guardstone
05-21-2008, 06:24 PM
That's quite possible, I remember reading something similar some time ago, but it's ridiculous from Corel's point of view. Would I have do downgrade my amount of RAM (now at 6Gigs) just because of Painter? What of the other apps I'm running that do handle RAM correctly? Surely this can't be something due to Leopard, this would have to be an issue that's been around for a while. I'd happily trade in Real Bristles and Divine Poportion tools (seriously, I have absolutely no need for them) just to get some decent speed. Very disappointing!
I'm getting grumpy here... thinking happy thoughts now! :rolleyes:

Miguimau
05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Certainly annoying. Im no tech guru but as I have read similar complaints under 64 bits Winbloz Vista dual and octo core machines , so I assume that Painter X cannot handle 64 bits well. Im running Tiger , by the way.
Painter X run not bad even in my Powerbook g4 768 mb of RAM... running Tiger as well (and Tiger is not fully 64 bits) Just a guess.

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.