PDA

View Full Version : Creating & saving custom brush variants

Michaelws
02-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Forgive my bumbliness. I have done a search on brush variants but am failing to comprehend the obvious.

I am playing with the Oils medium and am using the Camelhair Round brush. I am using it in it's default variant and then I change the "bleed" and "resat" sliders to get a different effect.

I would like to create a palette with both of these two variants. I first drag the default camelhair brush to the workspace to create the palette. Then I change the sliders, click the little arrow and choose "save variant". Then I select that new brush and drag it off to the custom palette.

But when I click on one or the other of those two icons, the "bleed" and "resat" sliders remain the same.

What am I doing wrong? Under what topic in help do I refer to to understand this better or can someone post or refer me to an existing post where this is explained for dummies (like me.)

Thanks

Jinbrown
02-12-2008, 04:54 AM
To create your custom brush variant:

1. Before making any changes to a brush variant, it's good to restore it to its default state so you know you're starting from the original settings.

2. Before making any changes to create your custom brush variant, in the Brush Selector menu, choose Save Variant and give it a unique name not already used by Painter.

3. In the brush variant list, select the new brush variant you just saved.

4. Make the changes you want to create the new custom brush variant.

5. In the Brush Selector menu, choose Save Variant and save it again with the same unique name you gave it in Step 2.

6. Now, when you drag the icons for each of the two brush variants (the original variant and your new custom brush variant) into a Custom Palette, they'll each have unique settings though they'll both be represented by the same brush category icon since they're in the same brush category.

sand dragon
02-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Forgive my bumbliness. I have done a search on brush variants but am failing to comprehend the obvious.

I am playing with the Oils medium and am using the Camelhair Round brush. I am using it in it's default variant and then I change the "bleed" and "resat" sliders to get a different effect.

I would like to create a palette with both of these two variants. I first drag the default camelhair brush to the workspace to create the palette. Then I change the sliders, click the little arrow and choose "save variant". Then I select that new brush and drag it off to the custom palette.

But when I click on one or the other of those two icons, the "bleed" and "resat" sliders remain the same.

What am I doing wrong? Under what topic in help do I refer to to understand this better or can someone post or refer me to an existing post where this is explained for dummies (like me.)

Thanks

I believe you missed the Restore Default Variant (Brush Selector Bar menu> Restore Default Variant) step for the original variant after changing the settings to create the new variant.

Note that loading/selecting a brush variant via. a custom palette will not automatically restore that variant to the default (as saved) settings. Presumably, this is an advantage when brush settings are being regularly changed in combination with a custom palette assisted workflow.

David

Michaelws
02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks David,

Yes...that is exactly what I was doing. I realized it after following the steps Jinny outlined above. I shouldhave posted the reply at the time...

Thanks for your reply.

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.