PDA

View Full Version : Q: Editing mesh on a character that already rigged and skinned.. how?

rybeck
02-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Hello folks,

I'm helping my friend's project for modeling part, and got a question about it.
The charcter mesh is already rigged and skinned, and the part I am about to do is 'Editing mesh (in polygon).'
Although I am not fully understanding pipeline between modeling and rigging (and skinning), I guess the character will lose current skin if I 'edit' (deleting, cutting, applying retopology) the mesh, which means after the editing mesh, skinning work should be done again from scratch.... Is that right? If so, is there any other ways to avoid this happens?

Thanks for your time,

Rybeck

PS: Maya 8.0 is one that we use, FYI.

johnchuang
02-10-2008, 02:49 AM
maybe you can use substitute Geometry under edit smooth skin menu , but if you already apply blendShape it won't work correctly.

xenoid
02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Or you can try using comet's Save Skin Weights tool to help you to save the weights out, do your topological changes, then load the weights back in via World Postion Option. Might have to do a little tweaking but hey, it saves lots of time already! :)

PEN
02-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I just did this the other day with replace geometry and it worked a treat. I needed to get the tolerance high enough to catch the new verts that I had to add to the model. Either that or you can just weight up the new verts as needed.

rybeck
02-13-2008, 12:16 AM
johnchuang: I don't see any blendshape with the character at this time.. but thanks for mentioning it.

xenoid: I'll try Comet's script for sure.. It's been awhile using maya (as I use max most of time), and feel like I am re-educate myself many parts all over again...

PEN: Sounds great... but again, as I mentioned above, I am slowly regaining ideas over maya.. Can you point out where the tolerance setting is?

Thanks everyone!

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2008, 12:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.