PDA

View Full Version : specs for animation for eventual blowup?

noodlesdog
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi,

I'm a director making a nonfiction feature that will also have animated segments. My background, before film, was in drawing and painting, and I also studied animation using old-school (film) methods. I like the painterly effects in Photoshop, and am just beginning to experiment.

My question is -- I want to start creating drawings and animatics (and after that, sequences) with Photoshop, and the project's being edited in PAL on Final Cut Pro, for eventual screening on Sony HDCAM and possible eventual blowup to film. How do I format the Photoshop files properly? What's the best size? Resolution ? Bit rate? Square pixels or not? 1920 X 1080? Academy 2K (which is 2048 X 1556? -- this is what I was told by the post facility is the standard for scanning archival stuff when blowup's a good possibility).

I was planning to import Photoshop documents into AE: was just at Sundance and went to the animation program and asked what tools people were using, and that's what nearly all the animators there were doing, some in FCP some not. I'm truly learning as I go, and would appreciate any advice people on this forum can give. Is Illustrator better than Photoshop? Also I see Studio Artist has been mentioned here...intrigued by that, although I must stay using Photoshop, working with a Wacom tablet, seems pretty flexible and expressive.

Thanks!

JM

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.