PDA

View Full Version : Naked or not?

UK3D
02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
I am about to start work on modeling a character and wanted to get peoples opinions on whether my character should be modeled naked and then clothed using C4Ds cloth? I will want my character to wear different clothing at different times. Coat on coat off sort of thing. Do I model naked then add clothing or model many times in diferent states of clothing? I will be rigging the character but for posing not animation.

Any tutorials pointing the way would be appreciated too. Thanks all Sean.

danb
02-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I am about to start work on modeling a character and wanted to get peoples opinions on whether my character should be modeled naked and then clothed using C4Ds cloth? I will want my character to wear different clothing at different times. Coat on coat off sort of thing. Do I model naked then add clothing or model many times in diferent states of clothing? I will be rigging the character but for posing not animation.

Any tutorials pointing the way would be appreciated too. Thanks all Sean.

You should model with no clothes, then model the clothes after. Otherwise you would have to model the character every time you create a new clothing. Too much time.

Also by using clothilde your clients will be wow'd when you tell them that there is an option for "dynamic clothing" and show them an example clothilde movie. Might be able to fetch more money that way too. :)

Per-Anders
02-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Model as little as possible. If your character always wears long sleeves for example then there may be no need to model the whole arm unless you plan on using dynamic cloth (which will need the mesh to collide with and look like there's something there) or want to transfer bone weight maps between the underlaying character mesh and the clothing geometry using VAMP (can save time).

UK3D
02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I always struggle with clothilde in that I get the geometry poking through when I re-pose the characters. I often spend ages modifying the geometry to get it to fit properly, is this normal? No idea what VAMP is.... Ta Sean

davesink
02-08-2008, 06:41 PM
You should model with no clothes

But you can use a space heater if you get cold :)

danb
02-08-2008, 06:45 PM

Haha. Good one. :)

grrinc
02-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I model my characters nude. I use very minimal clothide simulation though - I mainly use geometry clothes of which I 'bind' with belting or vamp.

Also, I think even 'hi end' cloth sim solutions are often in need of tweaking on a shot for shot basis. I hate to say it, but Clothide most certainly isn't 'hi end' and shouldn't be seen as a realistic clothing sim solution - perhaps just a very good cloth sim.

danb
02-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Also, I think even 'hi end' cloth sim solutions are often in need of tweaking on a shot for shot basis. I hate to say it, but Clothide most certainly isn't 'hi end' and shouldn't be seen as a realistic clothing sim solution - perhaps just a very good cloth sim.

Hmm... I beg to differ. Clothilde is extremely powerful if one uses it correctly. I use to use syflex for maya and clothilde is on par with that sim, imo.

I agree that clothilde might be overkill for a pose situation, but it is also very useful for blocking out clothing with the "dresser" function.

skAt3f0r71f3
02-09-2008, 04:04 PM

touché lol

Rabbitroo
02-09-2008, 05:37 PM
The short answer: it depends.

Model to the purpose. If you're animating clothing or not. If you're changing clothing or not. Is the character a background character or major actor? etc., etc.

-K

UK3D
02-10-2008, 01:06 PM
The main character will be seen both up close and distant. Just to add to the mix I'll be rendering using sketch. Although I won't be animating I will be using all characters in many different poses. I have considered using Poser but I intend my characters to be more stylised than the generic Poser characters.
So I'm mostly hearing go for naked and then clothe. We seem to be somewhat divided about using Clothilde so maybe I'll give it a go on something simple.

Oh and if you do model naked remember to turn your web cams off.... and be careful on those plastic seats.. Cheers Sean

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2008, 01:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.