PDA

View Full Version : Leaf texture

Shuyinsan
02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Hello everybody.

I'm working on a ground texture thats gonna be placed in a forest.
while i'm not an expert in texturing, I still gave it a try, mainly because I want to learn to make textures and I want to get better.
this way it's good practice.

Now i'm not aiming for a realistic look, nor a fantasy look.
Just as good as I can get, im not gonna push myself yet.
What I want to ask of you guys is to give some tips and critique, on how to do some things or what can be done better.

This i'm hoping to get a good result.

I have to say this is the 2nd time I'm making textures in my whole 3D experience...I've been modelling most of the time.
II also read alot of PDF's from Leigh (Thank you for the great stuuf) and alot of links that came from topics here..I've learned alot already in the last 2 days so i myself am satisfied in what i have accomplished so far..but I know it can be better so..well here it is.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8346/leafsdf6.png

Xaltar
02-08-2008, 02:05 PM
You are off to a good start. Add more color variation in there now, some yellows, subtle blues in some of the shadowed areas and possibly some soft reds. When you look at a leaf your mind tells you its green, in fact there are a lot more colors involved. Take a good look at as much reference as you can and try apply what you see to your texture. Do it in layers (in your piant app) so you can adjust the levels of each detail layer.

I also think your viens are too dark, they should be the same color and brightness as the stem.

Keep it up, learning to paint textures is pretty tough and takes a lot of patience and practice. I can knock out a 5000+ tri nex gen spec model in about an hour and a highpoly in about 2 hours, consider I spend at least 18 hours on even a simple character model and you will see just how much time I devote to texture painting. I still suck though hehe.

Good luck and I look forward to watching you progress.

Shuyinsan
02-08-2008, 04:28 PM
thanks for the reply.

yeah I agree on everything, I had a refference for the shapes of the leafs from a picture while they were in theire autumn state so they were, yellow/red/brownish...but this texture will be applied in a mesoamerican jungle so I had to go green..
I also did this with a new workflow I read about last couple of days and it was considerally better then I always used photoshop.

the veins were lighter before but after playing with color balance and brightness contrast the became dark..

I'm also using custom brushes...there are alot of things i'm learning right now.

I will redo them, at least I know what to do now..
I'm also reading on materials that reflect and absorb light etcetera and tomorrow I'll go take pictures in a forest nearby in the hope there are some nice ground patterns for the underlay.

Texturing is indeed hard to learn it takes lots of time, but thats alright I spend everyday around 8.5 hours to texturing at my internship now.

Thanks for the reply, i'll come back with the next result soon

Shuyinsan
02-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I finally got around on redoing this, this is what i got so dar i think its better than the last one i did
so yeah Please feel free to give tips and crits.

thanks

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9379/leafox5.png

urgaffel
02-12-2008, 08:04 AM
I think you need to pick a style since at the moment it just looks like a handdrawn leaf that isn't particularly realistic nor very painted. For a great example of a good leaf/forest floor texture, look at Crysis. Yes, it's pretty realistic but it's still a great example of a great forest floor texture. Screenshot attached.

Shuyinsan
02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
thats because its a photo.

I'm aiming a bit more realistic style then chronicles of spellborn, where I get the most info from.

Although I put a little of my own in it

its a little to green for now, but im still working on it

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4694/leafcopy2lc1.png

urgaffel
02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Yes it's photo-based and it's a good example of the surface I thought you wanted to do. I took a look at Spellborn, so I can see why it was completely pointless to post that screenshot from Crysis (it would've helped if you'd mentioned Spellborn earlier :)). As for the texture you posted, the only thing that caught my attention is the dark spots you have here and there, upper right corner for example, that might tile a bit (and the big leafy thing that I have completely forgotten the name of). Also the fact that it's very green but you know that already.

Shuyinsan
02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
haha maybe I should have yes xD

anway, yeah the dark spots, you are right about that, after that post I went and tweaked it some more, and while I did some test those things were the first that stood out.

the big leafs (they are from palm trees) are darker now, and I added some variation in the little leafs (some are brown, some are becoming brown, some are green etc)
I don't have it here right now, but tomorrow I will post an update

thanks urgaffel, for the crits and stuff

Shuyinsan
02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
here is the update I promised.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1748/leafcopy3tk8.png

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.