PDA

View Full Version : Nested Reeferencing in maya

roshini9teen
02-08-2008, 06:05 AM
did anyody know about Nested Reeferencing in maya,if es. tell me the usees of this option

Mark-J
02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Nesting is basically just the way that one scene can reference another which already contains referencing. Typical case we use here when building rigs up.

We have a Model file for the character, that's then referenced into a skinning file....now you reference that skin file into a rig file and build the rig. You now have nested references, any changes to the Mod file gets passed directly to the rig file, via the skin file.... it's basically just a big ist of dependencies.

One thing I'd say is to avoid where possibly nesting, our final rig that gets passed to the animators gets flattened out, so we only run 1 level of referencing. The multi/nested rigs only ever get used by the riggers.

isoparmB
02-08-2008, 09:25 AM
You can also nest references in the case of animation shot files being referenced by lighting files (light setups and render layers). If there are any animation updates during the lightning stages, you won't have to resetup all of your light linking, render layers and such.

YourDaftPunk
02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Referencing is a beautiful concept. Some big studios avoid nested references though (Disney comes to mind). You have to be thorough in your orginization and consistent in your naming conventions if you go down this path.

One thing I'd say is to avoid where possibly nesting, our final rig that gets passed to the animators gets flattened out, so we only run 1 level of referencing. The multi/nested rigs only ever get used by the riggers.

Yup- 'cause people blow it :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.