PDA

View Full Version : "message" attribute

tymznd
04-30-2003, 04:40 AM
Sorry after so many hours it gets hard to find certain things in the help docs...

Can someone elaborate on the "message" attribute?

What is it, and what is it used for? .... and does it exist on every node by default?

gmask
04-30-2003, 04:54 AM
I dunno if this helps..

C:\AW\Maya4.0\docs\en_US\html\DevKit\PlugInsAPI\classDoc\MMessage.html

tymznd
04-30-2003, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestion but I am inquiring in the context of Jason's creature node pdf.

Jason.... are you out there?

I understand the connection methods for finding out what nodes are related.... but just wanted to understand a little more about the attribute as it exists on the objects already??

jschleifer
04-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Heya,

what do you want to know aobut the message attribute?

I use it mainly for just connecting objects where I know I'm going to have to find 'em later..

for example, if I know that I want to find all my animation controls for a particular character, and I know the node that the character is, I can connect the controls to the character via their message nodes. For example:

addAttr -ln "rightHandControl" -at "message" myCharacter;

connectAttr rightHandControl.message myCharacter.rightHandControl;

now no matter what rightHandControl gets renamed to, I can always find it:

listConnections myCharacter.rightHandControl;

see?
-jason

tymznd
04-30-2003, 09:53 PM
I have to say that this is one of the coolest things I have seen lately.... very very helpful :)

I guess I was just wondering if the message attribute was specifically for this type of purpose, or if it is used for some other functionality and that you were just using it just as kind of a work around tool.

the addAttr docs simply says:
"message (no data)"

I like it alot, and understand what you are doing with it, I just kind of like to know what each thing does and why. I interpret it as a an attribute that holds "no data" but merely acts as a connector.... but this is me speculating on the above.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.