PDA

View Full Version : How can I get this effect With Artists Oils?

Michaelws
02-07-2008, 11:10 PM
I love using the artist oils brush set, but I am unable to get a tapered stroke like I can in real-life on canvas...and to get the brush to trail into a dry-brush effect with the canvas texture coming through.

I have enclosed an attached sample of the effect I am trying to achieve. Is there a good tutorial that will help me with this? Or is it even achievable using the Artists Oils?

I can only seem to get blocky strokes even though I can control the viscosity and blend, I get no texture (canvas), no tapering to the stroke. I am using a Wacom also.

Thanks for any help here

Michaelws
02-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I found a brush called Tapered Oils ands it seems to get closer...but I am still struggling to get a canvas-like texture.

Will take some getting used to...but it is a huge leap forward for me. Would still love to get the canvas texture in there...where a brush, when losing it's load of paint only hits the high points of the canvas weave...leaving holes of the underlying color.

I am hesitant to use something like pastel...or I should say, "mixing" it with the artists oils...for fear that it will not reproduce well.

I have to do a series of paintings for a brewery...beer labels...and I will not be doing the printing. I have done t-shirts using photoshop and painter...and I got some wierd effects in the printing even though the computer screen version looked great.

Mu
02-08-2008, 12:46 PM
wow, that's weird...

I never realized that this is the case... but you're right... that would add tremendously to the reality of the simulation.

Anyone know what to do?

*subscribes*

frog
02-08-2008, 01:08 PM
For some reason the Artists Oils don't seem to show the grain, even though the slider is active. You would proably get the effect without too much trouble with another brush type.

Hecartha
02-08-2008, 02:28 PM
you could try to configure your artist's oil brush like this and try to play with paper brightness/contrast
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/hecartha/Artists-Oils-Grainy.png
it is the best i obtained. Anyway the yellow brush strokes are made with something like pastels (anything set in general brush controls panel with cover as method and grainy hard cover as subcategory) .
try to play with wetness, trail-off, viscosity and amount
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/hecartha/test-artists-oils.jpg

@frog: most of time you need to set the grain really low to be visible

Michaelws
02-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks to all of you for your input and suggestions. I will post any progress I make on trying to achieve this effect.

Mu
02-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Hecartha - these settings work like a charm and I can nicely vary the strengt and appearance of the paper by adjusting the paper features in the paper library dialogue.

What parameter exactly was responsible for making the artist oil brush actually show the paper? Because I was trying to make the brush variants show the paper in vain til I tried your settings.

Hecartha
02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
What parameter exactly was responsible for making the artist oil brush actually show the paper? Because I was trying to make the brush variants show the paper in vain til I tried your settings.Except the grain parameter i think it is mostly the wetness of canvas (low) and the viscosity of the paint (high)...and it is possible the grain becomes invisible if the blend is too high...i admit i've learnt posting this reply :D

Mu
02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
LOL... no need to thank me...:scream:

Michaelws
02-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks to you both

Jinbrown
02-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Here's another easy approach:

http://www.pixelalley.com/brushes/tapered_stroke_end_with_texture.jpg

Without spending a lot of time fiddling with this brush variant, I think it's probably low Viscosity and light hand pressure that affect how much the Paper texture shows as the brush runs out of paint. The Paper choice will affect the result too. A high contrast Paper will show the texture more, a less contrasting Paper won't show it so much. (Adjusting the Paper palette controls helps as was pointed out earlier.)

You might also need to adjust your Brush Tracking to get the best result.

Jinny

Michaelws
02-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Jinny,

That seems to work great...that particular brush. Is there any way to create a tapered effect...for the effect of painting a cocnut palm frond...which is narrow and pointed.

I like the look of the Anry Nemo pieces. Is there any current information that gives more insight into his work besides the YouTube video? His website is not online anymore.

My question about his work is; He supposedly uses only one brush and gets that one (oils-round camelhair) to paint as well as blend. I saw somewhere on this forum something about changing the sliders "resat and bleed" to create a variant that will blend. I have experimented with different settings for this but cannot get it to blend. Can anyone recommend certain settings where this will work for this brush?

Thanks again...I am lightyears ahead of where I was when I first posted on this thread.

Michael

msbunbury
02-10-2008, 06:25 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123356
I assume you can get something like this using classik acrylics/oil brushes
I like artists oils for nice color blending/applying, but always get a feeling they're very fake, working according to their own physics
so don't use them for making any kind of 'serious' artwork.

Michaelws
02-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Not sure to what you are referring, msbunbury, but the attachment in your post, is from a traditional oil painting on linen canvas. That is the effect I am trying to simulate on the computer.

I too like using the Artists Oils category. I am trying to do some work on the computer to save me from having to have a traditional piece scanned...just to save taking that extra step and cost...but I might have to do this painting and the other 6 labels on the easel.

thanks for your input.

Michael

Jinbrown
02-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Thanks Jinny,

That seems to work great...that particular brush. Is there any way to create a tapered effect...for the effect of painting a cocnut palm frond...which is narrow and pointed.

We have limited control over the shape of an Artists' Oils brush dab and that, only by choosing one of the bottom six brush profile icons in the Size palette. Unfortunately, we can't make Captured Dab variants using the Artists' Oils brush category to have complete control over the shape of the brush dab.

I like the look of the Anry Nemo pieces. Is there any current information that gives more insight into his work besides the YouTube video? His website is not online anymore.

My question about his work is; He supposedly uses only one brush and gets that one (oils-round camelhair) to paint as well as blend. I saw somewhere on this forum something about changing the sliders "resat and bleed" to create a variant that will blend. I have experimented with different settings for this but cannot get it to blend. Can anyone recommend certain settings where this will work for this brush?

Thanks again...I am lightyears ahead of where I was when I first posted on this thread.

Michael

Yes, I believe Anry used the Oils' Round Camelhair variant in his Tyrael Knight painting script.

Resat/Resaturation controls how much of the current color is painted in the brush stroke.

Bleed controls how much existing color is picked up and painted along with the current color.

With these two sliders set so they have the appropriate relative positions the brush variant can be used for both painting and blending or just for blending.

For pure blending the Resaturation slider would be set to 0% so no color is added and the Bleed slider set high, even all the way up to 100% so it blends existing color.

When the Oils' Round Camelhair variant is in its default state, with the Resaturation slider low (at 17%) and the Bleed slider high (at 92%) these two controls are already appropriate for blending (though you still might want to tweak them a bit to get the desired result).

What isn't ideal for blending when the Round Camelhair variant is in its default state is the Opacity setting.

When you want to blend, lower Opacity way down and I think you'll find blending works better. I sometimes take it all the way down to 2% though you may not need to go that low.

You'll need to spend a little time experimenting to get the settings that work best for you. When you find the settings that work for you, save the brush variant with a unique name not already used by Painter, then go back to the original variant and restore it to its default settings (Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant).

Good luck!

Michaelws
02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks once again Jinny,

I am amazed at the amount and consistency of your contributions to this forum. To take so much time to help others. It is humbling to encounter such generous human beings. Thanks.

Jinbrown
02-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi Michaelws,

Thanks for the words of appreciation. It's easily explained, why I spend so much time in the forums.

I love Painter and get a kick out of helping others enjoy it as much as I have.

;)

Jinny

Michaelws
02-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Then we are all blessed here with such a gift as yourself. Many thanks

Lunatique
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/temp/test-artists-oils.jpg

How did you get those little raised specs?

Jinbrown
02-14-2008, 05:41 AM
Hi Luna,

My guess is, it was something like this that produced the "little raised specs":

http://www.pixelalley.com/brushes/depth_method_paper.jpg

Jinny

Hecartha
02-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Then we are all blessed here with such a gift as yourself. Many thanksYes, we are :)
How did you get those little raised specs?
Good question, it was a mistake from myself when i was testing, i pressed the button directional grain instead of invert paper on the paper panel. So the artist's oils brush strokes and the worn oil pastel brush strokes are made using opposed directional grain.

@Jinny, wow, the paper as depth method for the impasto looks great! It is interesting all these little things we can learn every time. Searching for the reason of the artifacts I've found also on the "apply surface texture" panel the softness slider (i never used this panel before this thread lol), it can be useful later. In fact I'm learning new feature in painter each time I'm trying to reply to this kind of question or when members like Jinny share their knowledge with everyone here.

Tim3308
02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Michael,

When Artists' Oils were introduced I'd thought we'd really have something. In the end, I think it's a strange brush, and have slammed up against what you are dealing w/. I gave up and don't touch that category, anymore.

Instead I find the new (painter X) category "Real Bristles" to work well. I have modified my brushes to constantly flow paint. Hey, the advantage of being digital is your brush does NOT run out of paint (as I don't feel it works well in the digital environment yet, or is it I don't want it to...?), if I do, I just lift up and use less pressure.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.