PDA

View Full Version : poly blades of fur

Fathom
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to write a script that grows random 'blades' of mesh from a surface. Its for a toon fur character.
Can anybody give me some tips on the best way to approach this? ANy suggestions appreciated.

axiomatic
02-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I think this is possible without MEL using a combo of selction tools + extrude, or paint -> polys, or just hair ... however if you want to try at scripting it (and i think it sounds like fun myself) then you might look into L-sytems. I'd be thinking you can use the sphererand on each poly you iterate through to choose a semi-random location directly away from the normal and offset by the direction your blades of hair sweep. Then you create a quick CV parth to that location with a bit of bend in it (some simple math i'm thinking) and make the poly extrude along the path with the requisite tape and/or some other scaling.

Anyway, just some thoughts. :)

Fathom
02-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey axiomatic thanks for the reply.
Yeah I thinking pfx to polys might be the easiest. But I'll check out your comments and post any developments here :-)

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2008, 11:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.