PDA

View Full Version : constraint nodes have to be parented to the constrained node?

Leionaaad
02-07-2008, 12:21 PM
I want to have a joint hierarchy free of any other node type. Now I have a few constraint nodes amoung the joints. What happens if I put them somewhere else?
I checked and everything works just fine, but I figured I ask first, perhaps somebody knows the reason why they are parented to the constrained object.
Btw. Are there any utility nodes that do just what the constraint nodes are doing?
Like in the measure tool: If you take the distance tool from the create menu, you will end up with two locators and a distanceDimension node, but you can also have a distanceBetween node, wich does the same thing, but it's not a dag object.

BenBarker
02-08-2008, 08:11 AM
All constraint nodes internally inherit from the transform node. So they show up in the outliner, and they have those transform attributes, but they are not used. It doesn't matter where you put them in the hierarchy.

You can create similar behaviors to many of the constraints by using combinations of utility nodes. I doubt it's any faster, but it can be educational. As with everything else, there are many ways to solve one problem.

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2008, 08:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.