PDA

View Full Version : Student Volunteering

rAT--mAN
02-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Anybody here done any student volunteering at SIGGRAPH in the past? What's it like, is it worthwhile?

BlackBlade88
02-07-2008, 07:44 PM
I had the pleasure of being selected as a SV in last years convention. It was pretty much an all around awesome experience (not to mention spending a week in San Diego was a blast as well).

Anywho...

To give you some info:

I signed up (and was selected) to work 18 hours total during the convention. Most of this time was spent as an observer to various special topics sessions / paper presentations. I was pretty much incharge of making sure people got a seat / counting the number of people who attended the talk / various other things along those lines.

It wasn't exactly what I wanted as far as work goes, but it wasnt terrible either. The jobs you can get vary a decent amount (anything from working at the international booth to helping in the Emerging Technologies room) and you can pretty much always learn something while you are working.

The conference itself was definitely worth the trip. When you aren't working as an SV you pretty much get to check out whatever you like and it was a blast to be able to sit in on things like the Transformers Special Topics session or to fool around with the rapid prototyping machine.

The contacts you meet are amazing as well and the interviews you can get during the job fair are worth their weight in gold.

Outside of that, I guess the only other thing worth mentioning are the parties. GO TO THEM haha... they were absolutely amazing. The Autodesk party last year was nuts haha (and the others were just as good).

So yeah... volunteer.. it's totaly worth it.

Oh, if you were wondering:

I'm a senior attending Drexel University as a Digital Media Major.

mirak3d
02-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I had the pleasure of being selected as a SV in last years convention. It was pretty much an all around awesome experience (not to mention spending a week in San Diego was a blast as well).

I think that is really useful to go
how about the financial supports
did you pay for trip expenses?
I mean did you get salary ?:)

malducin
02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I think that is really useful to go
how about the financial supports
did you pay for trip expenses?
I mean did you get salary ?:)

SV volunteers usually get free hotel stay (you share a room with other SVs) and access to the whole conference (except ofcourse when you're working). Usually you have to pay for your food (though there are ways to get some food for free ;-) and travel.

This year sems there might be some stipends for some SVs. More details here:

Student Volunteers (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/volunteers/students/)
Student Volunteers FAQ (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/volunteers/students/faqs.php)

StupidX
02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm glad that you had such an experience. I will be attenting the Siggraph fopr 2008. I will be having the same experience of even more. I hope it will be fun as you say it is.

Gantaa
02-19-2008, 07:21 PM
I was a Student Volunteer in Boston 2 years ago. I went to school in Boston, so I don't know anything about funding for travel and hotel expenses, but volunteering was an amazing experience. The jobs I had to do were very easy. Mostly all I had to do was check people's passes at the doors of classes to make sure they were authorized to go in. I worked 18 hours the whole week. The rest I spent in the conference. I took tons of toys home with me, including a laser scanned obj file of my head, and motion capture data that I eventually used in a short movie. If you have the chance to do this, then go for it! I would love to do it again before I get out of school. Meet as many people as you can!

malducin
02-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Just a quick note. Today is the deadline for student volunteer applications.

badtertle
02-26-2008, 01:42 AM
:( So the deadline for volunteering has just passed. I just saw this thread and almost shouted for joy seeing that the deadline was today, but alas, its on GMT and had already passed the time. I guess I'll just have to find another way to get there.

Siggraph or Bust!!

malducin
02-27-2008, 02:56 AM
:( So the deadline for volunteering has just passed. I just saw this thread and almost shouted for joy seeing that the deadline was today, but alas, its on GMT and had already passed the time. I guess I'll just have to find another way to get there.

Siggraph or Bust!!

Well the SV program requires filling forms,etc. so it's not like it can be done at the last minute.

On the other hand I would recommend visiting any large college nearby, they would probably have a CG program and people might be organizingfor a way to go down there and share expenses. I see you're in San Jose, even better there are a few couple local SIGGRAPH chapters that could point you in the right direction.

beetz15s
03-05-2008, 06:39 AM
How soon after did u get your student volun response. I attend Pratt Institute and applied before the dealine.

mmnichols84
03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I signed up about a month ago to be sv I hope I get selected. Does anyone know how they decide on who gets to be a volunteer?

Thanx

beetz15s
03-06-2008, 03:18 AM
I kno for sure that they try to evaluate hw good you are with people and you experience at anything that you do. I know its a panel who decides who hets selected.Im assuming that I have a good chance of being selected because I herd if i put my teacher at my school as a reference that I should get in for sure. He attends every year and is a well known person there. Also im from NYC and deal with tons of different people everyday. Those are some things im sure they look at. It might be worth calling in and asking about.

The reference you chose is also important because I believe that they actually call them and talk to them.

TyDeL
03-23-2008, 12:02 AM
I did the Student Volunteer thing back in 2006 for Boston, and I wanted to go again this year but got caught up in Mid Terms and missed the deadline.

It's definitely a lot of fun and a great experience, especially if you can get compensated for the Hotel and some Travel expenses. Be prepared it's a good amoutn of work though, if you go full time you'll be working 30-40 hours checking ideas and such, and you'll want to spend every waking minute at the conference when yoru not working. You end up missing a lot, but just being there is worth it. If you still have any energy left by the time things are shutting down, there are after parties and free movie screenings also.

If your local and can do part time volunteer work, you'd be a fool not to sign up as you get free access to the whole convention for just 8 hours of work. All Volunteers get some sweet goodies donated from all the companies afterwards too, just an added incentive.

The reduced cost of tickets for students is actually pretty reasonable too, I may try and carpool from the Bay Area, and see if I can split hotel rates with someone.

Siggraph in general is a great experience just being around so many industry professionals, watching the best 2d and 3d work coming out, experience the cutting edge technology, and attend some great workshops and lectures, and hopefully make some connections.

Oh, almost forgot but a lot of industry professionals donate their time to give classroom lectures to Student Volunteers and field question/answers and portfolio reviews, probably the best perk you can get since there is a wealth of information from these guys.

Good luck!

jpiette
03-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I was an SV twice in both 2005 (LA) and 2006 (Boston). I absolutely LOVED it! I volunteered for 32.5 hours, but even though I had to pay for my own hotel, it was worth it to spend the extra time trampling around the conference.

SV's are treated very well, and there are lots of great programs available to help introduce SV's to people in the industry.

When I was an SV in Boston, I went early and completed nearly all of my volunteering before the conference even began by helping set up. I highly suggest doing this, because in that case I basically got a complete pass to the conference for free, along with meals and classroom time with industry people, all while only working about 6 hours during the actual conference! Talk about a fantastic deal!

If you're dead serious about going into this industry, being an SV is a must. It will help put you ahead of the competition, and you will meet a lot of amazing people. Several student volunteers that I became friends with at the conference are now working here at DreamWorks with me, others are at companies like EA or Midway, and still others are freelancing or working at places like Rhythm & Hues and ILM. Making friends with other students at the conference definitely pays off! :thumbsup:

Keiphus
03-25-2008, 06:26 PM
About 2 weeks before the conference, buy some really nice shoes and wear them in to get 'em nice and fitted to your feet. Seriously.

I remember in Boston I wore some old shoes that didn't have much life in them and my feet were killing me. I stayed like 3 miles away from the convention center and it was quite a walk. I did not volunteer that year but my feet were so sore every night.

In San Diego I decided to volunteer. I bought some really nice shoes right before the conference. They were pretty much stiff the whole time and my feet still hurt. :D I stayed at that Holiday Inn on The Bay which isn't that far from the convention center (maybe 2 miles?) but walking back and forth between shifts and raiding the show floor definitely kicked my butt again.

Being an SV was fun, although I did miss out on alot of the papers I wanted to attend. Then again, I wouldn't have been able to afford the full conference if I wasn't an SV, so I guess it's a silly thing to complain about. I worked E-Tech and it was really fun meeting people from all over the world with all their projects. You get alot of free stuff as an SV too which is nice.

Overall I liked the Boston conference better, but I signed up to be an SV again this year if that tells you anything.

galacanakis
04-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Anyone who has the chance to do this and passes it up is a fool! I went last year in San Diego (I'm a SD resident) and it was my first year at SIGGRAPH. It was one of the highlights of my entire year. There are so many great things to do and see, even if you're not into CG. Definately would agree about the shoes thing and plan as early as you can. Keep in mind though, no matter how well you plan beforehand, it is IMPOSSIBLE to see everything.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2008, 08:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.