PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish brushes in Painter X

marcoracer
02-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Hi all,

Started using Painter X recently after some idle time. I'm using it on two different systems. My main one is a Apple MBP with 4GB RAM on OSX Leopard 10.5.1. The other system is a "hackintosh" with 2GB RAM, 6800GT graphics card and a 3Ghz P4 processor running Tiger 10.4.9. Prior I was using 9.5 with no real speed issues unless they were huge brushes. On both systems the brushes are often sluggish now under Painter X. Is this a result of the "real-brush" technology or something else. The files are not that big. 3600 x 2100 pixels.

Any clues would be appreciated.

genocell
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Turn off enhanced brush ghosting in the Preferences->General. I did it on my Painter X and the speed was reasonable. Also you should try messing around with the scratch disk options see if there is a speed gain.

I went back to Painter IX.5 though. Can't stand the zooming arthefacts... Yes. I'm that easily annoyed. :D

marcoracer
02-07-2008, 04:24 PM
That's it! Thanks!

tedpainter
02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi all, On both systems the brushes are often sluggish now under Painter X.

Just today I downloaded the X version of Painter as a trial demo. Other than those new brushes I can't see any changes at all from IX. I found the brushes to be dirt slow except for a couple of the "artist oils" which were very fast. The things I'd really like were missing, such as the ability to size the pallettes and place them either vertically or horizontally. They still are pretty much frozen as they were in IX. (I know what can be done with them, it just isn't enough control!)
As to the brush controls, I never use ghosting anyhow, so that wasn't the problem. I typically paint at 300ppi and generally at the limits of my Canon printer which is 13" X 19" so the canvas size is pretty good and I like to block in fast with big fast brushes. Other than that one oil brush I found them all to be "MUCH" slower than the brushes in IX.
I haven't found a single reason to upgrade and several so far for "NOT" upgrading.

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.