PDA

View Full Version : 4ped walk

NickGooch
02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
here is a 4ped walk cylce im working on. Its not as easy as it looks. haha.

http://nickgooch.com/movies/4ped1.mov

somethings not right with the tail, I'm looking into that now. The rig is kinda tuff to work with but at least it has 4 legs :)

*also need to animate the jaw some

C&C plz

NickGooch
02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Update:

fixed the tail problem and added some jaw movement.

http://nickgooch.com/movies/4ped2.mov

KevinKraeer
02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Looks like an awesome start. What sticks out at me at this stage is that he doesn't seem to be moving up and down or side to side, at least in this latest clip. Also the left rear leg and the right front leg appear to travel the same forward/back distance faster than the other two legs. I think for a creature this size, the tail might move a bit slower, and the tail motion also has a flip upward when it's at the creature's left side.

The overall speed is really good though, and evokes a heavy, lumbering animal. Looking forward to seeing more!

MarshallP
02-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I agree with Kevin,
The biggest part that stands out as not natural is the lack of a catch phase you character has, he's presumably pretty heavy, and you have the right idea with the head, but as the legs, connect with the ground the body has no followthrough to show the weight. Great start though, keep it up!

NickGooch
02-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks so much for the crits. Tryed to fix all the issues! Here is an update:

http://nickgooch.com/movies/4pedc.mov

took off the junk on his back so you could see the animal motion better. Looks awesome to me. Glad i got it to look nice :)

*need to animate jaw again

Ill get another version up with gear and higher rez monster after i get some head nods :P

NickGooch
02-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Here is an update:

http://nickgooch.com/movies/4pedd.mov

bleumoon
02-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Very nice updates. The time you put in definitely shows. Quads are kind of a pain.

Right now the head and tail have the same timing. The head is smaller and lighter so it would rotate faster than the tail. I'm guessing that you're going to put in some offset later. Also, to me there is too much movement in both the head and the tail. I might concider pulling it back some.

Great stuff so far, keep up the good work.

SalvadorRuizJr
02-12-2008, 08:23 AM
I would cut down the rotation on the tail by a lot. From a top view, if that tail has a 90 degree arc, I would make it some where along the lines of 15-25 degrees. I'm not sure I like the chomping motion of the head. I would either cut that out altogether or simmer it down considerably

As for the front legs I believe when they come up again they should angle down ever so slightly. The forward motion starts out too fast, it needs to ease in a little more to help with the sense of weight. I would also cut the actual distance a tiny bit. The downward motion when he stomps could be even faster. Right now it takes around 5 frames for feet to plant from it's highest position. It could come down in maybe 3.

This is just me guessing what I think would look good.

Great progress though from the first version.

NickGooch
02-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks a bunch for the crits! I turned down a lot of the tail motion as well as the head/jaw. Looks better.

I also tryed to increase the height of the arc the front feet make, not sure if that effects your comment Salvador. Ill try to see if i can incorporate what you said about the feet the next time i get a chance to work on this.

http://nickgooch.com/movies/4pede.mov

Cheers

x70
02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I'd love to see some subdermal deformations like muscle and tendions tighting. It looks great. Keep up the good work.

nemoo
02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
i think the animation is still totally off. dont even think about subdermal whatever at this point.

i miss a sense of balance. to me it seems as if the tail would have to swing in the opposite direction to keep the animal balanced, yes, it seems that off.
the whole spinal cord of the animal should move a lot more. i would have a look at some animal reference.

EZartajuz
02-13-2008, 03:47 AM
What you have so far isn't a bad start. Quads are hard to get used to and the best thing I'd suggest is really finding reference video of an animal that walks similar to how you want the creature to walk and really study it. I'm really not feeling a sense of weight on it--if this is trying to come off as an armored gecko or something then it wouldn't be as bad but as is, I think there could be more pronounced ups and downs (and ups and downs that match the steps of the feet in front and back to really show he has "shoulders" and "hips"--not just moving the torso as a whole). The side-to-side motion is showing up a lot more than the feeling of him catching all that weight on those huge tree trunk feet to the point where it's actually distracting.

And then of course fix the curves--get rid of linear movements and pops as the cycle resets. I don't know if other people's experiences are different but I've found it easier to get the basics of the walk first and when you have that down, then think about doing a cycle with it.

SalvadorRuizJr
02-13-2008, 05:16 AM
Curious, did you rig this yourself? Sometimes a rig can limit your animation or at least make animating much harder.

NickGooch
02-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks for all the comments!

The rig dose not have any muslce diformers(x70)

the rig is from 3dfiggins.com

Maybe the rig is making this harder then it should be. The spine is not as animatable as I would like. It has a box to move the head/upper body(minus the shoulders which are not incorporated in the moving). The torso is one giant section and the hips are the next.I'd rather blame myself then the rig, but maybe its part of the problems with the torso issues.

I'm going to keep going at it and see what happens. As far as reference, I've been using some bear footage.

Also, I was wondering if it matters how I animate. I've been trying to animate with out moving the rig forward. Which is very different from how I usually do. I know the movement in a game would be controled seperate from the animation so I'm trying to practice doing this. Is that neccasary or am i just making it harder on myself?

Thanks again for all the help, Ill try and absorb all the info and see if i can make this animal walk :)

bleumoon
02-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah, one of my classmates tried using that rig for a while. I only got a brief chance to work with it but I'd have to agree that the rig was cumbersome to handle. That could be because I just didn't spend enough time with it, but I thought that the rig wasn't as flexible as it should be especially along the torso.

As for animating in place, I think it really depends on your experience. I personally think it is easier to animate while moving the character along in space. Itís easier to see how the weight shifting is working and how youíre handling momentum if the character is actually moving.

If youíre animating in place on a cycle thereís a tendency to make him look like heís on a treadmill and not actually propelling himself forward. This will screw up your center of balance.

People who are experienced will understand that and will know how to compensate. Iíd recommend letting him move along his path unless if thereís a specific reason why you need to animate him stationary on a cycle.

Thatís just my opinion, other people might disagree.

bobzilla
02-15-2008, 12:53 AM
To me, it looks like it's feet are sticking to the floor. It looks like it's walking on suction cups which makes the whole walk lose its "oomph".

Might look more natural if you slowed it down a little, too. Not sure how big this creature is.

As you said, there was some limitations with the spine, but the hip and shoulders should move independently. Right now they look laike they are in tandem.

Just some observations...

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2008, 12:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.