PDA

View Full Version : Best way to copy

bmlokesh
02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi,
I have an external hard disk of 500gb and 80 gb capacity. Using one with 80gb to carry data.
( 80gb is seagate sealed external disk and 500gb is westerndigital external disk)
My problem is copying takes longtime from 80gb HDD to 500gb drive even with drag and drop.

I use quadcore with 2.33 ghz processor speed and 4gb of ram with winxp.

Even after using USB2.0 their is no improvement.

please guide me which is the best way of copying huge amount of data. Any third party softwares area available to boost the speed.

Thanks in advance

Srek
02-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Don't connect the drives via the same USB hub. Don't use D&D.
A simple command from the commandline to do this looks like this:

xcopy f:\*.* g:\ /s /c /h >c:\copyresult.txt

This will copy every folder and file from drive F: to drive G: and it will log the process into a textfile so you can later check for errors. Ifg you use D&D Windows will cancel the complete copy on the smalles error, using xcopy in the mentioned way will contnue with copying even if an error occurs.

Cheers
Björn

bmlokesh
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Srek for quick reply

I am trying your method to test copying from one folder of one drive to other drive, it is not not happening correct me if Iam wrong.

my command was xcopy e:\songs d:\songs /s /c /h >c:\copyresult.txt it gives an error message invalid number of parameters.

But my question was, is this method faster ? or is their any third party softwares are available to speed up copying.

gamedeveloper
02-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Please verify that all devices are using USB 2.0 cables. If you have been using computers for a while and have tons of serial/parallel cables laying around, you probably also have USB 1.0 cables as well. Be sure you have not mistakenly paired the low spec cable with your newer drives.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2008, 11:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.