PDA

View Full Version : Softquadro and Lightwave....

jjburton
04-29-2003, 09:26 PM
I bought a FireGL 8800 last fall and found it to be unusable in Layout (fine in modeller), so I recently purchased a MSI 4800SE. Works great, however I wanted to try and "softgrade" it to a Quadro 4. I followed the directions and it works fine in regular use and in Maya, but when I load up modeller or Layout, it FREAKS out. I'm thinking it's probably the detonator version I used for the mod.

What I'm wanting to know is if anyone else is using Softquadro with a Geforce 4 card and have had good use in LW. If so, please let let me know which detonator version you're using. Thanks a million...this community rocks!

manfriday
04-29-2003, 09:30 PM
I did the soft quadro thing a while ago and I honestly didnt notice any difference one way or the other.

jjburton
04-29-2003, 09:35 PM
I downloaded those freebe models the other day. And a bunch of them really bogged down the card. For the couple of seconds it worked after I modded it, it was very noticeably better, but thanks for the info.

evenflcw
04-29-2003, 10:04 PM
I won't be of much help to you, but perhaps you can help me out instead. :)

I'm looking to get a new graphicscard myself and have had my eye on MSI's cards as they seem to atleast have an explicit startegy to greate silent running gCards, and make claims that their heatsink and fan combo are less noisy than other manufacturers. Your card has the same heatsink+fan as the one I'm looking to buy and I was wondering if you found it to be relativly quiet. Any input you could give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

jjburton
04-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Sure...I don't hear it at all. My system case fans are louder than it:) Seems like a good card and I thought the price was a steal.

evenflcw
04-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Ooo speedy answer. Maybe not the answer that I was hoping for, but atleast I know it won't be too loud. Thanks.

MrWyatt
04-30-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by jjburton
I bought a FireGL 8800 last fall and found it to be unusable in Layout (fine in modeller), so I recently purchased a MSI 4800SE. Works great, however I wanted to try and "softgrade" it to a Quadro 4. I followed the directions and it works fine in regular use and in Maya, but when I load up modeller or Layout, it FREAKS out. I'm thinking it's probably the detonator version I used for the mod.

What I'm wanting to know is if anyone else is using Softquadro with a Geforce 4 card and have had good use in LW. If so, please let let me know which detonator version you're using. Thanks a million...this community rocks!

I once tried to use the softquadro solution and found out it wasnīt all that great. first you have to know that a geforce 4 TI 4800 se isnīt faster or better than a 4600, actually itīs a pumped up version of the 4200 and softquadro is only usable ( to a certain point ) when you have at least a 4600 or a 4800 ( without the SE at the end)

jjburton
04-30-2003, 01:25 PM
MrWyatt, I'm sorry, but you might be misinformed. The 4800SE is actually a souped up 4400 while the 4800 (no SE) is a souped up 4600. That's what I read and it's confirmed by my card being softquadroed to a Quadro 4 780XGL.

I got some help on the Newtek forums with this and have got it working. Only problem now is the second monitor is a bit freaky. I'm gonna try a later driver and see how that goes. But it's very usable and the OGL pickup is quite noticeable over the regular version.

EvilE
04-30-2003, 05:09 PM
When you have problems with the second monitor dont use the dual view of the nvidia drivers but instead the inbuilt multi moni support of xp then u can set the mode for advanced ogl multi monitor support in the settings of the gfx card ( works fine here on a softquadroed ti 4200 )

EE

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.