PDA

View Full Version : Animation Acting Challenge #15: Progress Thread; February 5 - February 29

SirRon
02-05-2008, 08:08 PM
See entries for the January Challenge here.

Animation Acting Challenge #15

There are two topics to choose from

1. Running and saving someone.
Or
2. Audio Clip from Wedding Crashers
LINK (http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Wedding_Crashers&quote=donteverleaveme.txt&file=donteverleaveme.wav)

Gloria Cleary (Isla Fisher): "Don't ever leave me."
Jeremy: "Ever."
Gloria: "Good! 'Cause I'd find you. (laughs maniacaly)"

Rules
Please Read me!
- Have fun animating!
- Use any rig and any animation software you like.
- Animate with any medium (3D, 2D, or stop-motion)
- You're open (and encouraged) to post your progress here if you'd like any comments and critiques.
- No time/frame restriction on the animation. Just remember that the more complex it is the longer it will take to finish. Make it by the due date!
- You can do both topics if you have the time. Either separately or as one animation if possible.
- You may add time before and after the audio clip, but please do not change the timing of the audio.
- A separate final submission thread will be created. Post your final animation there. I'll make the thread a few days before the deadline.
- Textures and lighting are optional. Playblasts are acceptable. Just make the acting clear and easy to see.
- Use any resolution and aspect ratio... but keep the file size manageable. As for codecs, preferably one that's common like quicktime or windows media. My recommendation would be Quicktime.
- When posting for final entry please state which topic you are animating.
- Adding music is optional, just don't make it distracting.

We'll do this for about a month (February 5th - February 29). Then we'll vote (March 1st - March 3rd). We'll vote for the best animations AND suggest topics for the next challenge in that time.

Feel free to ask questions about the challenge. We're still looking to improve how the challenge is conducted, we're open to suggestions.

Tips:
-Don't know where to upload your final animation or WIP? I recommend using www.vimeo.com. Free to register. You get to watch a streaming flash video and if you're registered, users can also download the original video source.
-The audio can also be set to mono instead of stereo, that may help keep the file size down.
-Please consider people from other countries that have certain websites filtered out. If you have webspace it would be nice to upload there to along with any streaming flash websites, at least for your final animation. I don't want anyone to miss out on the work you've done.

Monthly Animation Tip
SLOW-OUT AND SLOW-IN
As action starts, we have more drawings near the starting pose, one or two in the middle, and more drawings near the next pose. Fewer drawings make the action faster and more drawings make the action slower. Slow-ins and slow-outs soften the action, making it more life-like. For a gag action, we may omit some slow-out or slow-ins for shock appeal or the surprise element. This will give more snap to the scene.
Frank and Ollie's website (http://frankanollie.com/PhysicalAnimation.html)

SirRon
02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I also suggest subscribing to this thread so you'll get any notifications of current events with the challenge.

jedijrmax
02-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi -

I apologize if I'm doing this wrong -- but this is the first time I'll be doing the challenge and I'm not sure how to subscribe to the thread as was suggested. Under my account UserCP, all of the subscriptions I have seem to just be forum threads that I've posted to in the past-- so I'm hoping that by replying I will have subscribed to this thread. I'm really looking forward to doing this!

- Jeff

SirRon
02-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi -

I apologize if I'm doing this wrong -- but this is the first time I'll be doing the challenge and I'm not sure how to subscribe to the thread as was suggested. Under my account UserCP, all of the subscriptions I have seem to just be forum threads that I've posted to in the past-- so I'm hoping that by replying I will have subscribed to this thread. I'm really looking forward to doing this!

- Jeff

Yep, all you pretty much have to do is post a reply :) But there is a manual way to do it without having to post. Look for "Thread Tools" above the first post of the thread page and there's something to "Subscribe Thread"

monz
02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
hey :)

heres my victim thats gonna need saving, im still working on the other guy (the savior :p) and ill upload something as soon as i can.

www.frayed-ends.com/choke.avi

please let me know what you think, what can be fixed, and so on :)

thanks !

jedijrmax
02-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Hello SirRon,

I had a question that you could hopefully answer for me -- if that is allowed in the challenge. I am working on animation for the provided audio clip but I am having trouble truly understanding the man's response.

"Don't ever leave me"

Response -- "ever"

It sounds as if he is making a statement. It seems to me the english is wrong -- and that in fact, he should've said the word, "never" .

Don't ever leave me....
(I would) Never!!....
Good --- cuz I'd find yoooouu....

Because I am uncertain the intention of the scene, and the seemingly improper english, I'm not sure what acting choices to make for this. It is appropriate to ask for a clarification?

Thanks!

- Jeff

whitehorse
02-11-2008, 11:31 PM
jedijrmax

if you have not seen this scene from the movie, basicly this guy is scared of the girl. she freaks him out.

yes it could be called bad english. but the intention is she is a nut ball and he is freaked out and does not want her to go mental again

SirRon
02-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Hello SirRon,

I had a question that you could hopefully answer for me -- if that is allowed in the challenge. I am working on animation for the provided audio clip but I am having trouble truly understanding the man's response.

"Don't ever leave me"

Response -- "ever"

It sounds as if he is making a statement. It seems to me the english is wrong -- and that in fact, he should've said the word, "never" .

Don't ever leave me....
(I would) Never!!....
Good --- cuz I'd find yoooouu....

Because I am uncertain the intention of the scene, and the seemingly improper english, I'm not sure what acting choices to make for this. It is appropriate to ask for a clarification?

Thanks!

- Jeff

whitehorse explained it well. You can also see it that he's confirming her statement of "Don't ever leave me"

Don't ever leave me....
(Yeah baby, I won't) Ever!(leave you)

Flashmario
02-22-2008, 04:59 AM
Hi Everyone,

Is there a time limit (max or min) on entries?

SirRon
02-23-2008, 05:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

Is there a time limit (max or min) on entries?

No time/frame restriction on the animation. Just remember that the more complex it is the longer it will take to finish.

KidNiki
02-25-2008, 07:23 PM
I'll give this a go even though there are only a few days left. We'll see how far I can get with this! :p

SpiritPeddler
02-26-2008, 05:22 AM
Im With kidniki, a few days left. but i will do it all the same :)

SirRon
02-26-2008, 06:21 AM
When you're ready the finished animation thread is up. :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=600557

SirRon
03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Voting Thread is UP! Please vote :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=602766

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.