PDA

View Full Version : Texture/Light/Render - character - System404

System404
04-16-2002, 11:39 PM
it feels great to be able to find time for the challenges. didn't participate in last challenge so i don't have anything to reuse, but i have this sketch that I've been waiting to color. here's the sketch

System404
04-16-2002, 11:41 PM
here's the color scheme its going to get dirty with textures

System404
04-16-2002, 11:43 PM
here's how the lighting will look

Digitalexi
04-16-2002, 11:47 PM
Beautiful design.
i really enjoy the character :cool:
that thing would be a beast in 3d, could u imaginel?
i enjoy the color scheme, orange is so beautiful
greatjob !

the X

DigitalSkorpyon
04-17-2002, 12:07 AM
It kind of reminds me of H.R. Giger's work. I really like the detail and it seems that the lighting is going to bring out this character a lot. I agree that orange is a great color to use. Looking forward to seeing it completed. Keep us posted.

-Grant :thumbsup:

puddlefish
04-17-2002, 02:20 AM
Nice drawing, lots of detail! Aren't robots great fun to draw?
I also like the fact that you're not going for the typical greys and silvers that you usually see in robot paintings.
Keep us posted!

aaronstg
04-17-2002, 02:44 AM
Nice work so far! I love the design - that mask is cool. I think the post could use some work, but other than that it looks great.

-aaron

SEL
04-17-2002, 09:21 AM
Great start, may I ask the approach you took to drawing this, I mean is it done with a wacom tablet, or straight photoshop sketching or from an actual pen and then scanned. Also if it was from a pen and then scanned, would you have any links as to tutorial or approaches you or other people may take to coloring. A good example is Liqid studios who does lot of Marvels and Images colors on their comic books. My biggest problem is setup, meaning trying to keep the black lines and still be able to make awseome colors without destroying the piece, if you could help, I would appreciate it..

shaun

puddlefish
04-17-2002, 01:34 PM
TheSEL: The best way I've found in Photoshop ( from a scan or a photoshop drawing) is to set the layer with your line work on it to multiply, this way all of the white areas become transparent so you can place colour layers underneath it and they show through.

Cgkoko
04-17-2002, 02:37 PM
Nice one...i think it's going to be really great! Waiting to see more:bounce:

Korgath
04-17-2002, 06:39 PM
This is cool :thumbsup:

I agree with DigitalSkorpyon... Reminds me of Gigers work, but the orange colourscheme will surely make it an original :) .

peter_trance
04-17-2002, 09:49 PM
Wow! I like it, very cool!

System404
04-17-2002, 11:33 PM
thanks for the comments guys!!
theSEL: i scanned a pencil drawing into photoshop then I multiply the line layer but to 50% opacity then I flatten it, this makes the lines a little bit darker, and from there the color is added much like puddlefish wrote.

System404
04-18-2002, 12:45 AM
here's another update. the pencil lines are showing on top of the color, i like it it makes it look more dirty, but i will clean up the edges later

peter_trance
04-18-2002, 01:07 AM
Very nice. Do you have any geometry limitations in
mind? It seems like your model is going to be very
poly heavy. I like the style. Check out the opening page to
my web site, it's kind of the same style.
http://www.electriceye.n3.net/

Parasite7
04-18-2002, 02:12 AM
what? this is a 2d image not a 3d model. it has no polies. system404 looks great man. the textures are looking great. has a gritty style to it ( i love gritty :D ) hope to see more soon

puddlefish
04-18-2002, 03:47 AM
Very nice! The rust texture looks great, I also like the faux relief effect that you achieve, like bubbling paint.
Have you any plans for a backdrop?
Really nice work so far, keep us posted!!

peter_trance
04-18-2002, 05:21 AM
I thought the drawing was a design
for a 3d model. Sorry.

System404
04-18-2002, 06:55 AM
here's how it's looking so far. the head is done completly with the correct lights, this has turned out to be so much fun:wip: thanks for the comments guys
peter_trance: i tried to model it once and i was going to do much of the detail with bumps and displacement.

puddlefish
04-18-2002, 07:04 AM
Very nice! Love it.
Maybe you could dirty up the interior mechanical bits a little more, especially towards to top of the head. Maybe some oil stains?
Just a thought. :)

peter_trance
04-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Great job!:thumbsup:

LucentDreams
04-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Geezes we have abrely started and your way ahead of the game, I guess I'll drop out now.:thumbsdow

Naaahh I still need to learn and see what I am capable of, but beautiful work can't wait to see more. Don't bother looking in my thread yet theres nothing there really.:shrug:

rolhionjs
04-18-2002, 05:15 PM
wow your technic is excellent :) hope to see it finished ! :)

Sangotten
04-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Aaaah the 2D king has returned!!! :buttrock:

It's looking really good so far, the Concept reminds me of that cyborg girl is the movie A.I. ....Anyway I love the detailed work!!!

Keep it coming!!

System404
04-18-2002, 08:33 PM
thanks for the kind words guys.
Sangotten: haven't seen your thread yet, are you thinking of entering? please say yes! i want to see your work.:bounce:

puddlefish: yes that's a good idea, with the stains. i'll try it out, thanks.

System404
04-18-2002, 11:14 PM
ok here's an update

puddlefish
04-18-2002, 11:42 PM
Damn, you're making fast progress!! I better get my skates on! :)
One thing though, the lighting looks a little bit odd to me. On the head, there seems to be light catching the top right hand side, but this isn't effecting the shoulder pad in the same manner. It looks a little confusing. :shrug:
Keep us posted!

System404
04-18-2002, 11:46 PM
you're right puddlefish the lighting is off. I will fix this when everything is colored and textured. thanks for the observation.:)

System404
04-19-2002, 02:13 AM
here's something i've been messing around with. i might change the background in the final.

Digitalexi
04-19-2002, 02:36 AM
Looking great! how do you work so fast? i am convinced you have an army of third world migrant wokers, on multi computers doing this piece for you. haha. thats awesome man- again, cant stress how much i love the color scheme ! :drool:

when i grow up to post apocolyptic, i want to be just like dream catcher. yay!

puddlefish
04-19-2002, 03:32 AM
Looking good! I like the background, it would seem a shame to leave the figure on a plain ground.
Stop moving so fast!! I still haven't finished my compositional sketch!!

System404
04-20-2002, 03:49 AM
YAY! Five stars!!:bounce: thanks everybody!!!!

Gilgamesh
04-20-2002, 05:03 AM
Hey man, it's coming along gorgeously. I love the colors, composition, style...everything.
I also want to say that it is nice seeing your process as well: First a contour, then a color scheme, then a lighting scheme, it is all very helpful. And you definately know what you're doing.
As for crits, since the head is a perfect profile, it is kind of flat. I think that with lighting and texturing you might be able to make it pop some more. You could also add a few cast shadows within the form.
Also, The orange is great, but you might want to consider a little more contrast with the background in the final image.
You are awesome. :buttrock:

LucentDreams
04-20-2002, 09:59 AM
I'd go with gilgamesh on this one, maybe a little hint of shadowin the temple area might help a little do define the heads shape and depth. I don't know. As well There could be just a hint of blue within the material for the BG to help increase the contrast. Lightings looking better but still needs tweaking, and the drop shadow doesn't seem quite right. Last comment for now is that the white tone of the forehead is too bright, It really pings, I check the image on my TV monitor and it really is intense. I would bring it down a ittle in brightness or even better hue as well.

VEry nice work, leaving me a lot of work to do for my first run.

link3339
04-20-2002, 06:30 PM
dude this rocks ill try to post something ive been working on soon
but demo reel is kicking my but!

I forsee system404 will rain fire cosmic doom apon all
who stand before him hahahahaha!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :thumbsup: :drool:

System404
04-20-2002, 09:20 PM
Kaiskai: the drop shadow was just a quick copy of the overall shape and blurred. this wil not appear on the final i just needed to push the character from the background. the background is like that on purpose i wanted to have it look like they both have same texture, as if they both were made from the same material. if the character looses itself in the background it's intentional. the shadow was there to pop it out, there was also a highlight edge in certain places to bring it out more but i scaled the whole thing down and i lost detail. the original piece is 300dpi and its almost 15x20 inches, it's meant to be printed out. the final piece will probably not have that final backdrop, i'm just trying to concentrate now on finishing the character. the next updates will be up the coming days
thanks for all the comments and critiques guys!!! Keep them coming

LucentDreams
04-21-2002, 12:26 AM
300DPI and 15x20 wow, do you always work that large in purposet o print. Personally I haven't done these with intention to print but that is a godd idea, If I did though I would go back to my promotional arts days and do a 3oo dpi, 17x11 or 11x17 tab size perfect for tab size posters. (with room for bleed of course cause I hate white borders on imges like these.) Wll loooks like I'll be changing the format I work iun now. That way any image is alrady usable on a printed portfolio. great idea thanx.

puddlefish
04-22-2002, 07:49 PM
Hey, things have slowed down on this thread. Thank god!! I can't keep up with five updates every day :p

You may be interested (or horrified) to know that I do my drawings and paintings at 300dpi at a size of about a metre square. Helps me get lots of detail and looks great when shrunk!

System404
04-28-2002, 08:31 PM
haven't updated in awhile:shame: but here are some close ups of the character detail

System404
04-28-2002, 08:32 PM
here's another

System404
04-28-2002, 08:32 PM
another:p

System404
04-28-2002, 08:33 PM
last one,ok:rolleyes:

System404
04-28-2002, 08:36 PM
hhmmm:shrug: the compression on the jpegs really turned out ugly....oh well....i'll try to post better ones later

TheWolf
05-03-2002, 12:25 AM
whoa this is some crazy mech stuff! but here's the question? can your robot defeat the t-1000? great job on the concept and colors.

:annoyed: why can't my stuff come out this good?:annoyed:

Mechis
05-03-2002, 07:29 PM
This is awesome! I'm definitely envious of your skills :)
I have two questions for you:

1) How did you manage to make your rust texture?

2) How did you to your lighting? I saw the picture where you laid out the general colors, but how did you blend it and clean it up?

Fabulous work!!!
:applause:

LucentDreams
05-03-2002, 08:21 PM
I don't know about sys404, but for myself I often blend various colours and shades in a lyer set to colour burn to get rest, works realy simple and fast.

Great work, I hope I can get mine done at all.

System404
05-05-2002, 11:14 PM
questions!!
Mechis: to answer your questions,

i do everything with the paint brush.... I color where i want and I often change the layer blending mode, i use color dodge a lot:)..... some of the detail on this piece is given by the original pencil work which i multiply on top and then i select all the color shapes and delete the pencil lines that go out the color shapes, thus cleaning the edges:eek: ....for this piece i'm not using any reference textures, i'm trying to come up with everything by hand :eek: :eek: it pushes my skills, i think:hmm:

As for the lighting:hmm: i don't understand the question that much, but what i do know is that for the lights i used a purple color for shadows(so it looks more interesting)and i put it on top as a multiply layer and i play with its opacity. i then clean it up the same way i cleaned up the pencil lines over the color shapes.......hope that was helpful:thumbsup:

System404
05-05-2002, 11:19 PM
oops forgot something i mentioned for lighting how i did shadows but not light......for the light that hits the character i used a color dark yellow light that goes on top as a dodge layer and i then play(again) with the opacity... i think thats it:shrug: let me know if it helps you or not

LucentDreams
05-06-2002, 12:14 AM
Great advice thanks. Now heres a question, Do you always use purple and yelow for shadow and light or is that just for this immage. just cause looking at colour theory lately, for this image those two colours willadd to the scene, but on a different picture tose colours may not works as well. (I know that when using colour dodge and such the colour changes anyways, but you guaranteed that new colour matches with your two current coours so it still works with colour theory.)

System404
05-06-2002, 12:38 AM
hhmm!!! good question! I don't always use this colors. I used these colors so that they would enhance the picture, it gives it a better mood than if i would have just used black and white. Mood is key to me, it makes an image stand out from the mundane.
As far as if it would work with other images...well it depends. i guess if you're going for outdoor scene other colors would seem more apropriate...i don't always use these colors i guess it all depends on the color, mood and setting. Always experiment with color and don't forget about contrasting, arbitrary and complimentary colors.

LucentDreams
05-06-2002, 12:43 AM
Good somments, and one thing I would like to point out to anyone else reading this thread, is that in both 2D and 3D you should avoid any, and I mean any black and white shadows and light. (unless your doing a black and white picture:shrug: )

Thanks for your help I will remember these tricks for some of my stuff. as for my 2D entry, Unfortunately don't expect anthing, though I may get something done its not likely. Martin's tiger has sure kept me busy when I'm not at school. (come to think of it I need to update that thread) arrrrgh no sleep no SLEEEEEEEP.:wip:

System404
05-06-2002, 05:17 AM
well it's been awhile since i updated so here's a new picture:bounce: :bounce:

System404
05-06-2002, 05:18 AM
here's another:D

System404
05-06-2002, 05:20 AM
well that's it for today:hmm: any comment and questions are always welcome:)

LucentDreams
05-06-2002, 06:08 AM
:drool: well I had to go back to the original just to make sure you had actually drawn that and weren't cheating using 3D. That piece is amazing, tralin has some beautiful depth, lighting and shadows. Great work. No use bothering now, I'll lose to you anyhow.

Mechis
05-06-2002, 04:48 PM
Thanks a lot for answering my questions. What you said seems to make sense. I think I need to go play with Photoshop...
:thumbsup:

System404
05-07-2002, 06:30 AM
thanks guys for you're replies:bounce: i will hopefully post something by tomorrow if not it problaby won't be till friday:shrug:

System404
05-17-2002, 05:05 AM
seems like a lot of people won't finish this 2d challenge for friday....not me i'll have a finished piece by tomorrow:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: ...................................or so i hope:shrug:

LucentDreams
05-18-2002, 08:19 PM
Hmmm I am needless to say a little concerned, where is it. There are only two entries unfortunately, i beacame obsessed with the tiger som my fault there, but I want to see your final image.

Quarob
05-19-2002, 11:32 PM
I registered just to tell you your work is awesome. Greets! :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.