PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Hair and Clothing, in 3D max

nedgin
02-05-2008, 03:49 AM
Hi,
I am currently working a project of my own, call " the tree"
and right now i am working one of the character from my short project.

and I think i really need all the tips i can get,
to get the image i want,

I have no clue, at this point, on how to make realitic hair, just like you see in like "Kingdom Hearts" or Pixar movies,

and also same for the clothing,

can anybody give me tip, on how to make this work?
or tutorial i can learn from,
anything will do,

please help me ~

nedgin
02-05-2008, 03:55 AM
and this is the gird of my character

KamiNoNamida
02-09-2008, 12:29 AM
I think your question is very application dependant, so maybe you should tell us which software you are using.

For now, i can tell you that, personaly, i tend to like 3dsmax better for hair (hairfx plugin) and maya for cloth (ncloth).
But i also haven't tested maya's hairsystem all the way i think.
I only know maya and max though, so maybe it won't matter to you :shrug:

nedgin
02-09-2008, 07:33 AM
hi,

i saw your work, from your personal site,
and i saw one of your recent work, done in 3d max the hair.
which is the kind i am looking for my chacter,

I am currently using 3D studio max 9 program, i haven't used maya at all... or the any other software, so if you can suggest me what to do in max that would be wonderfull

KamiNoNamida
02-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, if that's the kinda look you want to achieve, you can get it via both turbosquid's hairfx plugin (now called hairtrix, and costs about 600$) and max integrated hair module.
Hairfx is of course quite better, mostly because it is really fast to render, highly flexible, and very good for dynamics, whereas max's hair'n'fur have less parameters, is slower and, more importantly, quite crapy concerning dynamics.
Realy, max integrated hair could do the trick as long as you have quite static hair or no fast movements in your anim (lessing risks of collinsions, that is).

As for how it works, with max hair'n'fur you have two options: make hair from splines, or comb hair using combing tools (or both). The combing tools options is, to my mind, very tricky, and not easy to use. The best really is to start things with splines, imho (you can easily create splines by snapping on you hair's mesh vertices). Hairfx only works with splines turned to hair systems.

About the cloth, if you're using max you have simcloth and syflex, but i don't know a lot about cloth in max. I think simcloth has been integrated t omax in recent releases, just as shag hair n fur, but i'm not sure. Syflex is very used too.
Of course, max also has its own cloth solver, which might be, as i said above, no other than simcloth solver itself, since r9 or so. Not sure about it but i just gave it an eye and it looks nothing like it did a when i tried cloth on r7.

Anyway, i can't help you on cloth if you're using max for it, sorry.

nedgin
02-10-2008, 01:51 AM
thank you so much for the great info about the hair,

hairtrix ? wow, $600 , that cost really a lot, because i am student and all,

i better just use splines and add hair and fur in there,

once again thank you so much for the great info :)

KamiNoNamida
02-10-2008, 02:40 PM
thank you so much for the great info about the hair,

hairtrix ? wow, $600 , that cost really a lot, because i am student and all,

i better just use splines and add hair and fur in there,

once again thank you so much for the great info :)
That's your call pal ;)

nedgin
02-10-2008, 04:49 PM
:) once again thanks for helping me out

KamiNoNamida
02-10-2008, 05:05 PM
U welcome my friend :wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2008, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.