PDA

View Full Version : How did they do that?

GUMP
04-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Two pictures, both with some sort of motion blurr but their motion blurr looks way cooler than what i get. Can you tell me how they did it...

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/images/photographs/pho_veh_gallery_MIA_exterior04_lg.jpg

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/images/photographs/pho_veh_gallery_MIA_exterior03_lg.jpg

Stroker
04-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Looks to me like it was done with a longer exposure time when the photos were taken. Then maybe the cars were added. Kinda hard to tell if the cars are were there when the photos were taken or composited later.

Mr_Lunchbox
04-29-2003, 11:27 PM
The first picture is definitely just a camera trick. By the looks of it, they used a super-small aperture opening and a slow shutter speed. If you don't know what this means, the aperture opening is basically what lets light into the camera. The smaller you make it, the less light gets in right off. If you let the film expose the film long enough, you will get a lot of light eventually, and sharper detail. And the slow shutter speed means the light hit the film longer, to... y'know... expose the film and balance out the small aperture opening for the sake of brightness. Really, for all you know, there was just some van keeping up with it off-road and they were just going maybe, 5 miles an hour. Notice the passanger's hair isn't flying around at all. So... the first picture is probably just a clever camera trick.
The second one, however? I'm not aware of any camera trick that'll do that to a picture, so that's probably some nice Photoshoppery or whatever. If you look closely at the windshield, you can barely see a very crisp and un-blurred reflection of the environment. If this were just a camera trick, the reflection on the windshield would be blurred, too. Also the right-front quarter panel is an example of this, I think. But they seem to have covered the hood pretty well... or that's just one curvacious car. Either way, the second one is definitely photoshoppery. Hope this answer nearly any question you could possibly ever have. ;)

As well as that, look at how the car is leaning. In the first picture, the only thing making the car lean is gravity. So they're traveling relatively slow for the sake of a good picture. The second photo? They're leaning into the turn. So they're going fast enough to show off how well the car can handle there, so definitely they took a quick picture with normal aperture opening/shutter speed, and photoshopped the hell out of it. And I promise I'll shut up now. Later.

singularity2006
04-30-2003, 07:41 AM
u know ur photography. :)

but hey, if u were to do it with a non camera trick method, what u could do is isolate the car with the marquee tool and then use the finger smudge tool...tedious, but it works... the radial blur filter itself is too ... one size fits all to get that kind of blurring... unless u blurred selections at a time.

ASCIISkull
04-30-2003, 03:54 PM
For the second image, they might have just put the car into a blurred 3d enviroment.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.