PDA

View Full Version : lo-poly Mazda RX8

mttjss
02-04-2008, 08:36 PM
http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/77041/77041_1202151539_large.jpg
I made this for a test for a position at a studio. Curious as to anyones thought on it.
Made with Maya and Photoshop.
I only did a color map - havent done the bump/normal or spec map yet.

394 polies including the plane for the road/shadow. I know its not the best, but just wanted anyones opinions on it.

Thanks.

Matt -

Gephoria
02-04-2008, 10:23 PM
my only gripe, is the back of the front fender, if you could get that looking a little smoother i'd say perfectly lowpoly,

awesome job

s2k
02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
cant wait to see it with bump/normal map.
Really, you catched the form of the car very good with such a low amount of polies !

Good luck with your job at the studio !

urgaffel
02-05-2008, 12:16 AM
That's a really nice model, but it's using 757 triangles so the actual count is higher than the 394. It can be a bit misleading sometimes but usually the important number is the number of triangles something uses. I like the way you've managed to get a lot of shape out of a small number of triangles. Can I ask what the limits where and if it's for any particular format/genre?

mttjss
02-05-2008, 12:51 AM
That's a really nice model, but it's using 757 triangles so the actual count is higher than the 394. It can be a bit misleading sometimes but usually the important number is the number of triangles something uses. I like the way you've managed to get a lot of shape out of a small number of triangles. Can I ask what the limits where and if it's for any particular format/genre?

Urgaffel -

Yeah I thought about it afterwards that I probably should have followed the triangle limit. I have yet to hear anything so I may have not followed it like I should have.

It was for the DS. I thought I read some that said 2000 polies for a vehicle, and something else that said over 100,000 polies onscreen, so it seemed kind of low at 400.

Matt -

urgaffel
02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
The DS can NOT handle 100 000 triangles on screen. Whoever told you that is insane. From a quick search on Google, I found that the on-screen limit is 2048 triangles, 1500 or so quads. The texture sizes range from 16x16 to 128x128. It's still a good model, don't get me wrong, it's just a bit ott when it comes to DS specs. Also, you don't really use normal maps and spec maps on the DS so you don't have to worry about those... For some really good lowpoly art, check out Tennis's posts.

mttjss
02-05-2008, 11:44 AM
oh wow. Thanks..good to know. I thought that seemed a little high, but I didnt expect 2048 either. It seems so low for such a great handheld system.

Now I see why they needed it to be low. I have the texture maps too big as well.
Might have to rework this to get it down to 400 tris and reduce the texture maps.

Thanks again.

Matt -

urgaffel
02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Well it can do 3d environments, look at Mario Kart and Metroid Prime Hunters, it's just that you can't have more than 2048 triangles on the screen at any one time. So it IS a capable system, you just have to work around the limitations :) See if you can get the texture down to a 128 or a coulpe of 64x64s (the wheels could be on one sheet, a 32x32 maybe?) Some of the fine detail will be lost though, such as the text you have on the door. For some ridiculously low poly cars, check out this stuff by Tennis (http://www.kennethfejer.com/lowpoly.html)

CADster
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
nice shape, looks good.

i would of referenced a real rx8 for the texture maps.
i think the cartoon look of the map takes away from the overall quality.

your normal map... were you planning to fake it in a 2d app, or draw a high poly car ?

my only gripe, is the back of the front fender, if you could get that looking a little smoother i'd say perfectly lowpoly,

awesome job

that grey area is a vent (fake vent) on the real car.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.