PDA

View Full Version : Well - low-poly model

Diurd
02-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Hello all!:)

During some time i was engaged in visualization of interiors and exteriors, but now have decided to try myself in other direction - in the game industry. Now I actively study various aspects of this direction. Here some results:

Wireframe

3510 Tri

1 texture 1024 - color

http://owl-studio.com/cgtalk/screen01.jpg

with texture

http://owl-studio.com/cgtalk/screen02.jpg

I shall be very glad to receive some comments and critique. Many thanks!

Sorry for my bad English!:)

Piotrek255
02-03-2008, 09:27 PM
this image screams "NORMAL MAP!", love the textures and model, i think that there is too much geometry on the wheel though, could be faked with normal map.

Diurd
02-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Thank you very much for comments! I agree with all your remarks. Now i am fighting with Normal map, but in the meantime it wins... :) For some reason i have a lot of troubles with it.

Piotrek255
02-03-2008, 10:25 PM
what problems? just ask, i probably had every possible normal map problem there is... just write it down.

as for this well, i would do everything in max, just sibdivide the mesh and sculpt detail in max with max's push'n pull brushes, then i would use projection to bake normal maps, other way would be to use zbrush, load texture on the model, sculpt and generate normal map, you would get nice details too. If you know zbrush it would be the best way to do it i think. The fastest way would be to make a grayscale image of your textures and use the nvida normal map plugin, but that's kind of cheap:P

hope that helped

Dagarik
02-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Given the ammount of geometry you've put into the crank wheel and some other parts I think the actual well cylinder should have more then 6 sides.

matsman
02-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Hi,

just strumbled on this thread and just wanted to mesmerize about waterwells...

I think you have done a lovely job in creating this. I really like the detail so I would like to second Dagarik in saying that the well needs to be a little more rounded instead of losing some mechanism detail.

Another thing that strikes me and I haven't read here is the size of the stone base compared to the roof and the holes you have to get water from. I think the stone base is really high and the holes where you have to bring the bucket through seem a little small. It is kind of hard to see the scale of things but unless it is a really small well (which kinda contradicts the very detailed and expensive looking roof) then one would be pressed to stand on tiptoes at least to get to a full bucket.

but all in all great job, am loving the textures and yeah a normalmap would look great here.

CHeers!

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2008, 08:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.