PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Challenge #14: The Local Train

jeremybirn
02-03-2008, 04:18 PM
This is an old challenge now, this thread is archived. If you scroll down to the Challenge #14 section of the downloads page, you'll see that the models can still be downloaded for your tests, and also that a gallery has been made of top entries. Feel free to browse this thread to see what others have posted, even though you can no longer post here.

Trains run all over the world. The challenge here is to render this train so that it appears to run through your own home town.

Challenge #14 is on-line and active! You can download files from this page:

http://www.3drender.com/challenges/

The Local Idea:

You are capturing the feeling of your local town. The train doesn't necessarily have to run in a location where there actually are train tracks at the moment, especially if you can think of a more scenic route where a train could run.

Any texture maps (particularly signs, lettering, or logos) that you map onto the train or signals should be based on what would appear in the city or town where you live. Try using a camera to photograph local trains for reference and texture maps, and also get some shots in your town for a background/environment.

http://www.3drender.com/challenges/local_train/render11aix0.jpg

An untextured view of the scene by Alvaro Luna Bautista.

The Scene:

This scene was modeled by Alvaro Luna Bautista. Please credit him for his work if you use images of this train on your webpage or showreel.

The scene includes a number of extra buildings, signals, and surrounding models. Try to use some of the buildings in your scene if you can find a place for them. To achieve a "local" look, you are free to change the geometry around as needed.

The ground and all the little stones on the ground were positioned to look good from one particular camera angle, as shown above in Alvaro's rendering of his own scene. You can match this camera angle if you want to use the stones as they are distributed, or else change the ground and ground-cover if you are rendering from a different camera angle.

Feel free to add whatever kind of grass, plants, or vegetation would be appropriate for your home town.

Deadline:

Post your work here by March 31, 2008 to be eligible for the initial gallery selection. The scenes will still be available after that date as an on-going challenge for people who wish to try this as a lighting and rendering excercise.

-jeremy

jojo1975
02-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Great challenge ! I really like the idea I think I will partecipate ;)

kanooshka
02-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Sounds fun! Can't wait to start this challenge. Good luck everyone =)

Halford
02-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Great idea! I'll het on this one too, hopefully with more time than the last one.

Thanks again for the Christmas challenge...and for all your work in this forum.

Hal.

PS: will a 3ds max file be available or do I have to use the objs? thx.

noouch
02-04-2008, 11:20 AM
ooh this should be fun...

AmeretatMusty
02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for this challenge I really like the idea, its the first time that im going to do these challenges, I did the christmas one but past the deadline, but im gonna start this one from tonight.

thanks Jeremy for all this, you are great.

snoopyBG
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh, this is going to be good...

KahlanAmnell
02-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Sweeeet. This one is going to be a great one to test skill and imagination.

I am thinking freight train from hell

Nehak
02-05-2008, 05:55 AM
Good one Jeremy!! I am excited to try my hands on this one :D

endorph1n
02-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I should really try to get time to do this one seeing as how I spend 2½ hours per day going back and forth to my 3D job :P I'd have to change alot since the scene atm has alot of american trainyard feel to it, not really looking like sweden :)
But then again, Ive had plans to enter almost every challenge but just didnt find the time, so we'll see...

Leonikou
02-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Hello Jeremy!

It is time for me to be an active part of these amazing challenges no matter what!

This is a fantastic scene to work with!

Lets rust the place up! :scream:

AjiEnrico
02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Wonderful! Thanks Jeremy and Alvaro

MinaRagaie
02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks Jeremy for the heads up at the workshop. :)

jeremybirn
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
PS: will a 3ds max file be available or do I have to use the objs? thx.

As always, more file formats are welcomed! If there are people who want to volunteer to make 3DS Max, Lightwave, Cinema 4D, and or other format versions, please contact me. I'll take your additional file versions and host them.

Usually we get more formats in the first week, depending on who does it, but until more versions are added I think the .fbx or .obj should import fine into Max. The .fbx might even preserve the object grouping.

-jeremy

MartinRomero
02-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Hello Jeremy,

This is really nice, wow. The whole enviroment has a lot of potencial to work with. Looking forward to it,
Regards,

note: I have the 3ds Max 9.0 version of the "Local Train" file, let me know how do I make this available to you.

Martin Romero

MartinRomero
02-06-2008, 06:51 AM
The "Local Train" file for Maya opens only in Maya 2008. I tried it on both of my computer in Maya 8.5 but it didn't open.

Regards, Martin Romero

MinaRagaie
02-06-2008, 07:16 AM
The "Local Train" file for Maya opens only in Maya 2008. I tried it on both of my computer in Maya 8.5 but it didn't open.

Regards, Martin Romero

it's a .ma file, you can open it in note pad and edit the version of the file in the first few lines.... it's not a small file so it might take some time to open in note pad.

-Mina

jmBoekestein
02-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, I have a max 8 file I made, I used to have the same problem when opening more recent max files.

>>localtrain MAX 8 file<< (http://www.eidolos.net/archives/localtrain_MAX.rar)

please let me know if you have any problems downloading the file...

cheerio :thumbsup:

let's have some fun.

Halford
02-06-2008, 09:27 AM
wowow...I imported the fbx, it's all there..but it's a bit heavy for my home machine...strange.
First time I run in this problem...
Is there something particular to do when importing fbx files?

Hal.

PS: jmBoekestein your file is 1/4 of mine....I really missed something...thx

lighthunder
02-06-2008, 10:36 AM
let's start the train

JCBug
02-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks Jeremy for this new challenge,
I'll wait a little for a C4D format,
if not, I'll try with the obj. Thanks !

pratheesh
02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Hurraaayyyyy Lets starttttttt.................................

Jozvex
02-07-2008, 12:08 AM
A tip for people using mental ray, the gravel is quite 'slow' in terms of overall render speed (exporting and BSP at least) because it's hundreds of individual items. If you do a Mesh > Combine on them all and then delete the history, you should get a 55% speedup on them as I did. In the end I'll probably go for displacement instead though.

:thumbsup:

SpAiK
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Wow, this seems to be a specially challenging one, mainly in texturing terms. I'll take a close look on this and try to do something interesting.

noouch
02-07-2008, 09:33 AM
A tip for people using mental ray, the gravel is quite 'slow' in terms of overall render speed (exporting and BSP at least) because it's hundreds of individual items. If you do a Mesh > Combine on them all and then delete the history, you should get a 55% speedup on them as I did. In the end I'll probably go for displacement instead though.
I replaced the stones with a particle flow system. It's quite a bit faster in Max, and gives you more camera freedom as well as a nice fast viewport preview...

KahlanAmnell
02-07-2008, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the tip.
This has definatly improved my rendering time.

nitz3D
02-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Hey Jeremy...

Great Challenge.. Will love to work on it.. it seems to be a good fun.. and the idea is also superb..

I wants to work on 3Ds MAX.. could you please provid me with .max file..

Thanks,
Nitesh

Halford
02-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey Jeremy...

Great Challenge.. Will love to work on it.. it seems to be a good fun.. and the idea is also superb..

I wants to work on 3Ds MAX.. could you please provid me with .max file..

Thanks,
Nitesh

Hi,

there is already a version provided by jmBoekestein, you can get it here:
http://www.eidolos.net/archives/localtrain_MAX.rar

nitz3D
02-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi,

there is already a version provided by jmBoekestein, you can get it here:
http://www.eidolos.net/archives/localtrain_MAX.rar

Thanks Halford for the reply..

jeremybirn
02-08-2008, 10:34 AM

That's a good tip. Merging the gravel into one object could be more efficient.

If you're going to delete the stones, I'd keep at least a few of them around. Even with displacement mapping on the ground, the ground is more believable if you can set-dress a few real rocks and debris and plants around as well. When I've had ground surfaces with a liberal amount of real rocks scattered around on the model, I've had people stop and say "wow, that's a nice ground shader" as if they are seeing the rocks as non-scalar displacement or something.

If download the .obj format, I have the scene split into a series of .obj files this time, with the stones in a separate file. So for people with limited RAM, importing the stones is optional.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks to jmBoakestein and MartinRomero, we now have a 3D Studio Max version of the file on the download page.

Any other formats people want me to host?

Anyone with Cinema 4D or Lightwave or other popular software want to contact me and offer a converted file?

In Maya 8.5, if you click the options box next to Open Scene... you can check "Ignore Version" so it'll open files saved in a newer version of Maya. I think this option was added in 8.5. In Maya 8 and earlier you still had to open the .ma in a text editor and delete or modify the "requires" lines. (Although earlier Maya versions can import the .obj or .fbx without any need to change them...)

-jeremy

GeorgeTirebiter
02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Jeremy, you mentioned photographing local trains for reference/textures. While that's a good idea, I feel that someone should put in a word about safety. There's a simple rule to follow when photographing railroads:

STAY OFF THE TRACKS!

It is possible for a train to approach you from behind without you hearing it, especially if you're concentrating on your camera. People have been killed this way.

The tracks, and the land adjacent, belong to the railroad. These days, railroads do not take kindly to trespassers, even ones with cameras. Unless you are certain that a section of track is abandoned, or you have special permission, stay off of railroad property. Take your photographs from public or non-railroad private property.

Stay safe, and stay out of jail.

lighthunder
02-09-2008, 05:08 AM
thanks for the idea jeremybirn :thumbsup:

tuffmutt1
02-09-2008, 10:27 AM
very nice scene to work with. thanks a lot guys. i imported the obj's cuz they were spit out in to four files which made it easy to manage what elements i needed, and delete the rest.
anyways, i guess i m the first one to post some renders....played with two versions, low AA settings for the tests.
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2260/localtraintest12fh2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

and a night version....

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/255/localtrainnighttest12ru2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)
By uday_kadkade (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/uday_kadkade)

ShamKiR
02-09-2008, 11:55 AM
This is the first challenge that I`ll participate.I like the stuff u doin here and also I`ll will improve my own render skills .Later I`ll post my own rendered scene :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Samo
02-09-2008, 12:45 PM
hola

Good look with your entries. I only would like to point out that all around the world, if the trainset is moving, locomotives must have got their head lamps always on, no matter it is day o night.

This is a good site to look for references:
http://www.railpictures.net/

Alvaro.

mirmel
02-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi!!
thanks to Jeremy and Alvaro for this competition!
It's an interesting challenge for me .. I'm not so skilled in locomotives :sad:! ..but I'll try to work on it!

ciao!
m

Leonikou
02-09-2008, 02:39 PM
hola

Good look with your entries. I only would like to point out that all around the world, if the trainset is running, locomotives must have got their head lamps on, no matter it is day o night.

Alvaro.

Wow Alvaro Thanks a lot!

That website is fantastic!! :thumbsup:

- Tuffmutt : Very nice start. On the second render (night) I love the blue tint of the moonlight on the far left side.

AndresVal
02-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Ok, i am downloading the file and will start to work now on this train scene ;)
I lost the # 13 Challenge but will work on this one right now,
see you soon..........

jeremybirn
02-10-2008, 01:46 AM
tuffmutt1 -

Great start to the challenge! The daytime image looks more bright and sunny than the background shot, at least the sky in the background could be a lot brighter and the building could have some more brightness and contrast as well. I think the daylight scene could use more environment reflections, on the train and glass especially could reflect the sky more. The night scene is good, maybe the bright areas could be more localized and there could be more lights glowing on-screen to justify how bright it all looks. The cabin interior will need a new surface on the night scene if it remains that visible.

-jeremy

edjkodiak
02-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi all
thx Jeremy for this new challenge

here is a converted C4D R10.5 file

http://www.kodiakprod.net/LC/LocalTrain_C4D_10.5.rar

mJunaidb
02-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi all, good work! This is my first try to the scene, and I've not done any texturing and all, a huge part is left. It is just a very first try to create a mood of the scene. :)

SoLiTuDe
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Tuffmutt: Great renders. I don't think that this is the Xmas challenge though. :)

JCBug
02-11-2008, 12:11 PM
@ edjkodiak - Thanks for the C4D file !

@ tuffmutt1 - Good start ! The first render in a challenge is not easy,
and your picture is nice.

tuffmutt1
02-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Tuffmutt: Great renders. I don't think that this is the Xmas challenge though. :)
LOL!!! sorry dude, i had the xmas template slapped on top. me bad.:twisted:

here's a update.
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7616/localtraintest4kv7.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

tuffmutt1
02-12-2008, 06:18 AM
hola

Good look with your entries. I only would like to point out that all around the world, if the trainset is moving, locomotives must have got their head lamps always on, no matter it is day o night.

Alvaro.
Hi, Samo
thanks for the website. I live in India and if you look at the engines from my part of the world, they all have the lights off in day time. could be that its a european law or something?.

Samo
02-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi, Samo
thanks for the website. I live in India and if you look at the engines from my part of the world, they all have the lights off in day time. could be that its a european law or something?.

Maybe some few countries don't follow this rule, but most of them do, at least in the American continent and Europe. I've checked that site and, in some Asian countries, locomotives don't have their head lamps on in day time.

And by head lamps I mean only the two big frontal lights.

ShamKiR
02-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi there.I made a render .But I need much to learn dont judge so hard
I`ll make some other pictures when I`ll have a time.Thx for all.

lighthunder
02-13-2008, 12:43 PM
here is my first render test i rendered in maya 8 mentalray all C&C are welcome thank u http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6432/thetrain8xd2.jpg:)

jeremybirn
02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
lighthunder - Good start! For the area that's in shadow (outside of direct sun) it would be good to get some variety in the shading and hopefully some occlusion. A nice mix of shadow and sun helps the composition. See if you can use a more interesting background than pure sky, so we really see where we are from what's built at the the horizon line. As you add to the texturing making some things look a little more dusty and less clean and new would be a good goal.

ShamKiR - Welcome! Good start. Usually if you are lighting a scene with just one main light, I'd try to put the light a little more off to one side or the other, so it doesn't light things straight-on. Coming from a bit more of an angle helps define the shape of things better and makes less symmetrical shadows.

tuffmutt1 - Better and better! I love the way you're going with the dust and dirt on top of the train, and it's starting to get more of a sense of place. You have a lot of depth in the shot, and it seems that what's more distant in the buildings are bright and not very saturated. Maybe the electical pole behind the train could be a little more towards light gray -- the pole itself is already like that, but the top cross-peice looks like a deep reddish color and doesn't appear as distant and washed-out as it could, to establish that it is half way from our foreground into the background. For that little shack, the texturing doesn't seem to respond to the little window, maybe delete the window from the geometry and have a plain wall? The lighting on the shack looks too uniform, I think the left side should be brighter than the side facing camera. I like the foreground vegetation, too. A tiny bit of that could be put in the more distant parts in the lower left and maybe a little vegetation of some kind could be visible accross the tracks near the right wall? The construction materials stacked in a regular grid in the foreground could use a little variation or maybe could be fitted together more closely?

mJunaidb - Welcome! Good start! Maybe with texturing and a different background image it will look more like Pakistan. You basic light direction and camera angle looks good. Maybe the composition could be improved if you widened the aspect ratio so the front of the train was visible instead of cropping it so close to the front.

-jeremy

Samo
02-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi,

This is my version of this scene. I'm working with the default view.
I'm still figuring out what solution to use to add bushes to the scene without compromising more the file size.

Modelled with Blender.
Rendered with YafaRay. Just a Sun light, a gradient background, pathtracing.
Render took about 45 min. in a 2.4 Pentium - 512 RAM
Textures made with Inkscape and The Gimp.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9480/render35ani3.png

kanooshka
02-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Samo: I don't know if you've heard of or seen the video game Team Fortress 2 by Valve. Your image has a very similar feel to it. Great start I'd like to see some variation in the texturing and reflectivity and some sort of vegetation like you were saying. If you really need to keep the poly count down you could always use a series of transparent images on planes. Keep it up!

lighthunder
02-14-2008, 06:08 AM
thank u for u r valuable suggesions jeremy i will work on it :thumbsup:

ShamKiR
02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
jeremybirn

Thx a lot. :thumbsup:
I`m working on it.

dboydesign
02-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Alright this sound like alot of fun:)
Well I have some questions.

Is it allowed to add more objects, like houses, grass, rocks etc.?
Can I move objects?

thank you for the time..

p.s: sorry I ask questions that are all ready been answered.. But I coudnt find any rules..

jeremybirn
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
dboydesign - Do what you need to.

Samo - Sooner or later you'll probably need to render in layers and composite. Maybe you could start with a background picture to set the scene in Spain. The easiest of all compositing approaches is to split the scene into foreground, mid-ground, and background, so one layer just goes over the previous layer. That way you don't need to render all the trees and shrubs in the same layer as the train and gravel. Things are simplest if the objects that need to shadow and reflect eachother are in the same layer, although I'm sure your software can be used to render things as separate passes if you need to. Another direction to head would be to work more on texture mapping, making the train and tracks look less clean and perfect, more like a train in Spain, and really nail that side of things before you add more models to the scene.

-jeremy

tuffmutt1
02-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi, all :scream: I am really loving this scene .:bounce: ...ok i made some major changes from my last post, as i wasnt sure i could go any more further to really elaborate the "india" in the scene.
so here's the latest.....this is a straight render out of max. I replaced the old shack with my new hut. rock population was solved using Pflow ....
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1904/straightrenderxl2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)
then i added some glare , glow, smoke and tiny lens flares on top..and tweaked it to a more hot and dusty color scheme.
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3273/colortweak000001ul9.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

and heres a hard exposure look with less saturation.
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7369/hardexposurera4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

and here's having fun with it...:twisted:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1763/newwithpeoplelu4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)
Thanks.

tuffmutt1
02-16-2008, 01:31 PM
and here's a revised night version ..a bit stylised.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7315/nightversionstylisedix6.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

Leonikou
02-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Wow tuffmutt1 - ! Great updates!

I have never been to india, but I definately get the feel of it!
All the renders are great but the night render is fantastic! :thumbsup:

jeremybirn
02-17-2008, 04:30 PM
tuffmutt1 -

Those are great! Focusing on the initial set-up of the daytime ones: I think the lighting could match better between the foreground (CG) and the background (image). The foreground has lots of dark tones and black blacks, the background never gets nearly that dark. If the background were a little lighter, it could be haze or atmospheric perspective, but this is a bigger difference than that. The background is lit very brightly, the foreground (apart from the roof of the hut) doesn't have such broad, soft, bright illumination. The background seems to be lit from the front, left side, you can see some buildings and trees are brighter on the left. The foreground needs to match the sun direction of the background.

If you split the foreground rendering into passes, it's sometimes easier to nail all the values. Render one pass of sky-fill, just soft cool light on everything, hopefully with some occlusion. Render a separate occlusion pass if there isn't occlusion in the sky fill layer, and multiply them in the comp. Then render a sun light pass. This might be 2 passes if you separate the specular from the diffuse sun illumination. Then render reflections if there are sky/environment reflections. Then you can add these passes together and adjust their brightness and color until they really match all the tones from the background.

The perspective match is pretty good. It looks as if the train is heading up a hill. That impression is alright if it's intended, but then you need to think about making the posts and signals go straight up, instead of looking like they are perpendicular to the surface of a slanted ground surface.

All those other experiments based on it are nice, and your night scene really looks terrific. I think you could do another take on the basic daytime match-lighting though to really get it 100% perfect.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
02-17-2008, 04:59 PM
tuffmutt1 -

A little more about your night scene: it looks great. It's funny that you call it "a bit stylized" and I would call it very realistic -- maybe I've just been working on stylized movies for too long. :) Anyway, it looks terrific in terms of colors, tones, and optical effects. I think the left and right edges of the image could be changed to better frame it. Maybe on the left, that blue highlight on the water tower looks a little bright and fake. You could replace it with a rectangular reflection that is dimmer and runs up and down the whole tank. On the right, that row of signs looks too bright to me, and it's not clear where the light exists in 3D space compared to the power lines and fence, it looks somehow as if it should be closer based on the perspective. You could get rid of that whole lamp, or else make it into a darker form against the sky.

-jeremy

Leonikou
02-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Hello Jeremy and everyone!

Time for an update.

I have nearly figured out how and where the scene will be. Unfortunatelly I have never travelled with long distance trains in Greece and I dont have any train stations nearby, so what I will try to do is based on two photos of Greek stations I found on the net.

I uploaded some Renders of the Basic Train Part which I textured today. It is not completely finished ( needs more work on the Windows and a few minor details) but most of it its there.

I wanted to play with rust coz I just love it. I now I may have overdone it but it is part of my scenario and composition.

Uv layouts in Maya - Main Textures and signs in Photoshop and Procedural Rusts and Final Shading in Maya again.

Rendered with Mental Ray, with just a basic HDRi setup.

Unfortunatelly I used very high resolution texture files and cannot render it anymore (only batch) so I will have to lower the quality a bit.

Thanks for watching. :)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/leoni_kou/Train%20cgsociety/Web_03.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/leoni_kou/Train%20cgsociety/Web_02.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/leoni_kou/Train%20cgsociety/Web_04.jpg

ShamKiR
02-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone.I made one more photos using Maya MR and Sunsky.This shots much better than first my photo.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4706/trpy8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Directional Light
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7351/trainvolcu6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Volume Light

tuffmutt1
02-21-2008, 10:30 AM
hi Jeremy. thanks for the detailed critic. i ve given it another go with some passes this time.

the diffuse pass didnt work well because og the opacity maps in the vegetation.
this is a irritatating problem for me. may be some one has a solution for it...might be helpful.
heres a sample of the prob. i am using mental ray.
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9347/diffusepassvl1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

here's are the passes.... i didnt use the diffuse pass for the comp.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4536/finalgatherdiffuseezb8.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

specular pass
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9684/finalgatherspecularbb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

tuffmutt1
02-21-2008, 10:36 AM
reflection pass
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/89/finalgatherreflectionsj9.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

dirct light pass
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2176/finalgatherdirectve6.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

sky fill pass
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1050/finalgatherskyrv4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

tuffmutt1
02-21-2008, 10:45 AM
occlusion pass
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1139/finalgatherocclusionbe2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

comp with added smoke, glow and a seperate grass layer using hair.color tweaked in photoshop.
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8467/localfinalcompfk1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

nitz3D
02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Hey tuffmutt1...

Great Job ya.. I like the way you have filled up the scene.. Its good to see these kind of works from India.. You are really good... Well done.. All the best...

Nitesh

tuffmutt1
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
thank you very much nitz3D.
i hope you can participate in this challenge too...:)

ShamKiR
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
GooD job Leonikou and tuffmutt1 :thumbsup:

nitz3D
02-22-2008, 04:53 AM
thank you very much nitz3D.
i hope you can participate in this challenge too...:)

Hi tufmutt

I am trying to, but the whole month is so hectic and jam packed that i havnt opened the file till today.. I too hope so that i get some time to work on it.. Let see..

Nitesh

Shordy
02-22-2008, 06:24 AM
hi all,

here is my try. I want an early morning maybe i thought about snow and very hazy sunlight. But that volumetric stuff isnt right implemented in vrayforc4d. So later i will spend some time with ar2 and postwork to make such an effekt... My very next steps are beginning in Texturing the train and the hole scene. Before that i have to clean up the scene for cinema4d. I will spend some time on getting some nice wood in the picture, so creating some uvw would eat some time :). I will make that train yellow, this red was just a test and im really unhappy with it! So the weekend can come. greetings from cologne germany :)

http://www.cg-creatives.de/files/localtrain_shordy_v1.jpg

Shordy
02-22-2008, 04:04 PM
here is an update:

http://www.cg-creatives.de/files/localtrain_shordy_v2.jpg

jmBoekestein
02-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Nice rendertime SHordy, looks like you could up the lighting complexity a lot, without too much of an impact. Maybe add some ambient complexity, think it allready looks pretty promising.

teq
02-25-2008, 02:50 PM
hi everyone,

this is my first try to my very first challenge :). I'm not quite sure about the background yet, I tried to recreate one of the bridges running all over my hometown (Berlin, Germany) on which the main railroads and urban rails are placed. Because of the whole electrical wiring and stuff i had to make quite some changes to the environment. CC always welcome!

http://teq.3dwars.net/test5.jpg (http://teq.3dwars.net/test5.jpg)

gattaca13
02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
tuffmut:
Nice job on your renders! It's awesome that you can get stuff like that out so quickly! My only crit would be that, for some reason, your render comes out looking like it's fake. Fake in the sense that, when I look at it, your train and the objects around it, look like something out of a toy train set.
What I'm beginning to think is that it has to do with the textures that you have on your objects. I think you need to work on some specular, translusency, and reflection maps. Really study the material you are using and how it acts realistically. It'll really help if you add that aspect into your render.

Hope I was somewhat helpful. :)

gattaca13
02-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Leonikou,
Nice job on the train! Looks like you're moving in the right direction. I have some tips for you though to help you improve it a bit. :)
You need to massage your UVs more in certain areas. There is some texturing stretching on areas where there are indentions and extrusions in the train. Also, the black on the windshield is a little odd. It's hard to tell what it is. The bump is really high on it as well which makes it look more awkward. Work on your specular map a bit. For the train supposing to be really old and rusty looking, it is very shiny. I would definitely turn it down.

That's all I got for now. Hope it was helpful. :)

Leonikou
02-26-2008, 08:44 AM
shamKiR- Thanks mate!

gattaca13 - Yes, I know that the train could use more love, and it is already been taken care off. :)
Very nice critiques by the way, they were very helpfull! So stay close, there is more to come. :thumbsup:

Tattered_muse
02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
You know, I'm really loving the train, and all the possibilities for this challenge, but jesus guys, not everyone has a quad core processor. It's like working with shattered glass. The file is so huge my system keeps glitching and lagging. I have to save every two minutes because Max keeps wanting to crash if i do anything more than one thing at a time.

You think for the next challenge we could use a few less polys?

AndresVal
02-26-2008, 05:19 PM
You know, I'm really loving the train, and all the possibilities for this challenge, but jesus guys, not everyone has a quad core processor. It's like working with shattered glass. The file is so huge my system keeps glitching and lagging. I have to save every two minutes because Max keeps wanting to crash if i do anything more than one thing at a time.

You think for the next challenge we could use a few less polys?

I am 100% agree with you.
I have the pc for work with this kind of files in my office, it goes perfect, but in my house the pc is nos as good as the other, and this file keep crashing, i also think the scene has waaaay to much polygons, is really heavy, i think it would be cool to work on that for the people dont have a pc for this kind of files.

But still loving this scene, my render soon ;).

Gtz

Samo
02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
The Blender file in Jeremy's page is the original one. I don't know if you have some experience in Blender, but in the Blender scene there are many object that have a level 2 subdivision surfaces (mainly they are the locomotive parts), and there are also the ballast stones. The scene has been modelled in a PIV with a 32 RAM Geforce 3, although Blender is really good handling scenes with big poly counts.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you reduce to level one subsurf and export again to the needed format, or maybe exporting without the subsurf modifier and aplying later in your own app. you can sort out partially the file size problem. Blender have quite a lot export options.

Anyway I think that dealing with this issue can be one of the challenges of this scene, because you will find that problem again when figuring out how to add plants to the scene for instance, or using you own ballast solution.

I can work on a light weight version if you need it. Maybe without ballast and with loco parts without subsurf modifier, to apply later in your own software. Tell me if you need it.

Samo
02-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Ok this is a light blender version of the scene. All subdivision surf. modifiers and the ballast stones have been removed.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y282Z0VI

If your software does not support subdivision surfaces, then apply subsurf before exporting. I think only the locomotive main mesh need subsurf and maybe some other locomotive parts (doors and round windows frames). Send me a private missage if you need help about how to apply subsurf in Blender, anyway here there is some info.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Subsurf

Maya users should use "objects groups" option in the OBJ export panel to get separated meshes.

teq
02-26-2008, 11:19 PM
The very first thing I did was sit down and break the whole thing into 15 or so layers. Now I can leave 90% of the scene hidden while working and everything runs nicely.

L33tace
02-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks Samo, I was using the original obj file and my computer choked when loading the train. I exported the new scene from Blender as a obj file came in at around 62,000 and as a test I loaded the whole scene no problem in Daz|Studio. the D|S saved scene is only 118kb, go figure. anyway i'll be working on it in a different program and thanks again because it is a great scene. :)

FeD
02-28-2008, 10:32 PM
hello all,

First I have to thank you for this super cool scene, a great one !
I saw many nice render, so i wanted to test it too... but I never have the time
I w'll try to make something with it before the end of the week (personnal challenge:)

So here is my first shoot with fast compositing, just to have an aperçu of what i want (but i'm still not sure)
http://membres.lycos.fr/rpcteam/train01.jpg

CC are wellcome !

sorry for bad english:shrug:

Fex
02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
@fed: superb light mood!
u need a bit more bounce or ambient light on the right side of the train.
I think the strong depth of field generates a bit of a macro look, i would lower it a lot.
Keep going that could be a masterpiece:)

greetz fex

Samo
02-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I've added a background to my render, although colors don't match very well and it needs color correction, in the mean time here you have a low res. B/N version:

Rendered with YafaRay, pathtracing, sunlight + fill light + background.

I think I'm going to explore other camera views.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2861/render46tj7.png

JCBug
02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
@ FeD - Wow ! Great job, I love it ! It's a very nice light and ambiance !
Maybe some snow on the ground and more reflexions on the glass textures.
If you still try, be careful to keep this wonderful ambiance.
C'est du lourd mon gars, vas-y à fond pour l'honneur des Frenchies. Bravo ;-)

@ Samo - Nice idea, in black ans white. I don't know why, but, I wouldn't
be surprised if we could see some horses, cow-boys and Indians...

Leonikou
03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
FeD - That is very nice! I really like the dymanic contrast and the colours. It has nice values of black as well as white, and reminds me of HDR images!

Great first render! Don't let it go! :thumbsup:

FeD
03-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Fex : thank, I think I've done what you meaned, but I have a problem with the jpg compression, my picture look ok in photoshop.. but when in jpg it look darker and more contrasted.. :(

Samo : Nice ! I think like JCBug, farwest style :)

JCBug : thx! snow is a good idea but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do it.
Okay pour l'honneur :-)

Leonikou : thank you, I hope the picture is not to much changed with the new render

Here is the new one, I still need something in the middle hole of the train... didn't find any good texture to match with it

http://membres.lycos.fr/rpcteam/train_01.jpg
CC are wellcome

Samo
03-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Here is the new one, I still need something in the middle hole of the train... didn't find any good texture to match with it

In the middle hole of the train there are modelled a couple of lamps. In you scene I would use a subtle blue fill light coming from the right to simulate moon light. There could be also other light sources in the dark side of the image. This is how one of these locomotives can look like at night,

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=413&nseq=55
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=10908&nseq=47

FeD
03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
In the middle hole of the train there are modelled a couple of lamps.
Hoo yes ! I didn't see it, thank you again Samo for this superbe scene, so many detail, very
Pleasant to work with.

Final version (maybe), I like the light effect on this picture (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=10908&nseq=47) , but I'am afraid that it will kill the render "ambiance", what do you think ?

http://membres.lycos.fr/rpcteam/train_leger.jpg
I'm sorry, because I Completely forget the challenge idea about "capturing the feeling of your local town", I'm far far away from that^^

full rez+info coming soon

FeD
03-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Here is a small .jpg showing my process
http://membres.lycos.fr/rpcteam/render_passes.jpg
Here is the full resolution of the final image (http://membres.lycos.fr/rpcteam/train_final.jpg)

Thank you again jeremybirn & Samo !

gattaca13
03-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow FeD!!! That is absolutely amazing! I think that could definitely be your final. Great great job on it!
I'm just wondering though if you could post images of your light placements. This scene is really a great scene others could learn from. :)

Again, awesome job! :D

Samo
03-02-2008, 06:15 PM
FeD, between the first and the last three goods cars, I put some dummy cars that weren't going to be seen from the camera I had planned for this scene and from whom I only wanted them to cast shadows. If these dummy cars are eventually to be seen from your camera view, then maybe is better to remove them and clone the detailed goods cars (first and last three). If you watch your render closely you ll see the dummys cars have different surface properties that the detailed ones.

BTW great render.

rameshganga
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
JERMY
last time u r given nice feedback thank q for that one,now i m posting train image just
check it

tuffmutt1
03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
wow Samo..the B/W image is kick ass:thumbsup: .....really has that period feel to it. i hope we can see a color version of it.

FeD...:bounce: what can I say? superb!!:thumbsup:

heres my lil update....
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/4813/localvothccbz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

FeD
03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
gattaca13 : Thank you very much ! for my light placement I have only one light:rolleyes:(the sun), then I tweaked every thing with the mia_photographic node (instead of mia_exposure_simple), nothing very special, I can post my render setting if u want

Samo : I know for the goods cars, but I think there are okay, did you see that I didn't separate the weels from the "contener" ;). and my computer will die if a add more polygon in the scene :-(

tuffmutt1 : thx, your render is very good too, the best one. there is just a strange yellow color on the forground three, what is it :)

Samo
03-03-2008, 06:27 PM
tuffmutt1, I dont think the locomotive head lamps need such a strong glow in day light. If would be OK for a long exposure in a night scene, but in daylight it steals too much attention too.

rameshganga
03-04-2008, 03:45 AM
hi jermy this is my second work , u r given the goodfeed back last work and i felt very happy http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5706/traindh9.jpg

rameshganga
03-04-2008, 03:50 AM
hi jermy check this onehttp://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5706/traindh9.jpg

wadefuh
03-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Since I live in DC I thought it would be fun to see the train in the National Gallery. (The space is a really rough approximation of one of the gallery spaces.)

Anyway, here's the WIP, it's just some simple lighting and materials so far. The space was done in SketchUp, the tree's an onyx tree. It's rendered in Max 9 using mental ray with A&D materials. So far I'm only using the MR sun and sky to light the scene.

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/316703/316703_1204617507_medium.jpg

tuffmutt1
03-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Samo, I agree its too much for the headlight. heres a more tweaked out version.

FeD, I dont get which yellow you mean in the foreground. anyways, i changed a few things along with the lighting .
let me know what u all think.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5841/mrmar4aw8.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

lighthunder
03-04-2008, 12:15 PM
jeremy is my altration thk's :) http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7366/thetrain10el7.jpg

rameshganga
03-04-2008, 12:26 PM
sorry for the last updatehttp://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3959/trainqm2.jpg

mirmel
03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi guys!!
great works!!!
tuffmutt1 and Fed ... your renders are very impressive!
... I'll send my attempt in the next days ..:)
Bye
m

teq
03-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Here is an update of what I am currently doing...
http://teq.3dwars.net/showreel/test6.jpg

mirmel
03-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi :sad: I've difficulty setting the UVs of the train .... too much subdivisions for my faculty.. and patience :)
how did you do the uvs?

thanks

m

teq
03-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I would recommend downloading the original models as posted earlier an then do your UV layout on the train, if you are using the supplied max file for example unwrapping is a total nightmare.

lighthunder
03-07-2008, 04:23 AM
hi everybody here is my ongoing update still working on ithttp://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9425/thetrain10um1.jpg

Samo
03-07-2008, 09:02 AM
TEQ, I would use a bit stronger and warmer sunlight to burn a bit more the scene, now it seems like a cast day, well... it's Germany, but now the ligting is a bit ambiguous in your scene.

LIGHTHUNDER, I would definitely try a different background, it is particularly the low part of your background which seems a bit off. I would add also detail to that structure that is hanging above the train. In railpictures.net you will find a lot of inspiration for train related stuff and backgrounds.

Leonikou
03-07-2008, 09:32 AM
mirmel - I know what you mean. I could not go through the end with 100% correct Uv's so I did the basic train Lines based on Uv layout and the rest of the train using procedural 3DTexturing techniques (in Maya though.). Maybe try that.

teq - Nice progress so far, the camera angle and most of the elements, like the pillars look solid. I can see that the light is coming from the upper left corner right now, but it kind of washes out the image. I mean there are no hard or dark shadows and that has an impact especially on the houses in the back.Maybe change the light angle or compensate the cloudy day with more diffused bounce light spreading around.(Bring up the contrast in a way.) Perhaps use an occlusion and maybe some more bluish tint from the sky. Sorry for all these comments, but I think it can be a very nice render! :) Keep it up!

lighthunder - I like the sky, and the nice warm yellow feel of the sun in your render. You have nice amounts of Direct and indirect light so if you added an occlusion pass in your image it would bring it up a lot! The bump on the tunnel material I think is too much and there is something weird going on above the tunnel.Is that supposed to be protection bars for the pedestrians? If it is I think it can be out of scale my friend.
Lastly some more specular and metalic feel would bring up the image too, it looks more like a diffuse pass right now. Hope I helped a bit. Keep it up :thumbsup:

mirmel
03-07-2008, 09:37 AM
I would recommend downloading the original models as posted earlier an then do your UV layout on the train, if you are using the supplied max file for example unwrapping is a total nightmare.

Thanks Teq, I'm just working on maya with the original model from the obj format.
.. I would ask you only for a tips to do uvs in simple and faster way. (I did an automatic mapping on half mesh and now I'm matching the uvs manually).. but maybe that is the only way :)

bye

mirmel
03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
mirmel - I know what you mean. I could not go through the end with 100% correct Uv's so I did the basic train Lines based on Uv layout and the rest of the train using procedural 3DTexturing techniques (in Maya though.). Maybe try that.

Thanks Leo ... an hard work :D .. but I will do my best:)

m

teq
03-07-2008, 10:48 AM
thanks for all the cc guys I really appreciate it.

I am trying to go for a cloudy day with very much diffuse light and only a little direct light. I know that this quickly looks "boring" or flat but I think it is what resembles my hometown best. (of course we have sunny days too ;) ). Right now I am quite unhappy with some of the materials (the House!) and the position of the main lights. So expect quite a few changes to come. Also I could think about a night scene which I think would be interesting because of the everywhere overlaying diffuse artificial light you have in every big city. (Never really dark here)

Shordy
03-07-2008, 11:22 AM
I think this is my final... this is 30% resolution.http://www.cg-creatives.de/files/localtrain_shordy.jpg

TheNeverman
03-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I love the color/lighting in this one - but what's with the water? and the super-blurry DOF?

I think this is my final... this is 30% resolution.http://www.cg-creatives.de/files/localtrain_shordy.jpg

Samo
03-07-2008, 06:09 PM
thanks for all the cc guys I really appreciate it.

I am trying to go for a cloudy day with very much diffuse light and only a little direct light. I know that this quickly looks "boring" or flat but I think it is what resembles my hometown best. (of course we have sunny days too ;) ). Right now I am quite unhappy with some of the materials (the House!) and the position of the main lights. So expect quite a few changes to come. Also I could think about a night scene which I think would be interesting because of the everywhere overlaying diffuse artificial light you have in every big city. (Never really dark here)

then, if you go for a cast day, then I would suggest wet surfaces somewhere, pools and maybe more blurred shadows

Leonikou
03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Hello Everyone. Time for an update.

I found some time to build some extra models for the station set, including some texturing.

The back Tunel is based on some photos of Patras station in Greece.

It still needs some more details,like leaves ,trees ,some garbage, signs, proper textures etc.

I have also got to fill the back and upper left part of the frame. Some more environment modelling propably.

The lighting is still being tested until I find the proper sky.

Commets are always welcome. Please let me know what you think :)

Thank you

- Leo

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/leoni_kou/Train%20cgsociety/Update.jpg

Samo
03-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Leonikou, nice render indeed. Maybe I would suggesst adding some old bulb lamps in tunnel entrance

jeremybirn
03-08-2008, 04:27 PM
So much amazing work has been posted while I was not replying! I will try to catch up!

Leonikou - Beautiful image! A few areas could use more bounce/fill light: the tops of the ties (the wooden cubes under the metal tracks), the inside of the tunnel (the tunnels on the right have a little light coming into them, so the left tunnel would also), any other place going too close to black. The reflections in the glass could be brighter on the window of the shack and the left side of the train window, but maybe are a little too bright on the right side of the train's front window. You could punch-up the front of those buildings to make them really look like sunlit brick getting hit from the side, you might need some bump or displacement to do it but then they wouldn't look flat. You barely notice that lovely ocean in the background, maybe if there were a way to make more of the ocean visible that would help the scene look distinctly Greek.

Shordy - Nice scene. So where are you from? I can't tell what kind of local scene you are making, and your profile doesn't say the location. That's a nice scene. I can't tell for the surface to the right of the train if it's supposed to be water with funny creases in it, or some kind of mud turning into water? The scene right now looks like a miniature, like a toy train set, but probably the forced depth of field blurring is responsible for that feeling, but also it comes from the lack of detail such as vegetation around areas like the left side of the image.

-jeremy

teq
03-08-2008, 05:32 PM
then, if you go for a cast day, then I would suggest wet surfaces somewhere, pools and maybe more blurred shadows

Damn I could bang my head against the wall right now for not thinking of that myself... well right now there is too much "real" work to be done but I'll try to get that done soon :)

jeremybirn
03-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Still catching up, here's some more feedback on the images from the past few pages:

Samo - That's great. I love the black and white scene. If the rails are going to be reflective, it should be a soft reflection, not a crisp one. The windows of the train should reflect the sky a little though, and the black circle around the headlights also needs some reflection or fill or something to give it presence. The gravel in the lower right corner doesn't look like it has the directionality of light coming from the left as much as other parts of the scene, you might add a little extra kick there. That little shack also needs some reflections on the windows.

FeD - That's a great scene, and thanks for posting the breakdown of the render layers. The textures on your train look great. Maybe the bump/specular influence of the cracks make them look too soft and deep, you could turn that down a little. The sunlight leaking through onto the right-side wheels doesn't look entirely believable to me. Maybe there should be more train shadow blocking most of that, and glints of light on that side could be more due to reflections and bounce light? The right side of some things could use more sky fill, or at least some sky reflection on the fill side of the metals and glass. I agree with your comment about looking far away from France; the scene doesn't look distinctly French.

tuffmutt1 - That's great! It has a nice feeling, even if it doesn't look recognizably Indian to me. I love the depth and dimensionality of the space. Even in your newer version (#102) some of the posts to the power lines still have a black outline around them, especially on the left, that looks like it could be a compositing problem if it isn't a lighting problem. Now that you've added light to the right side, you need to get some more texture work done on the tree and fence, and get the leaves of the tree to look back-lit.

wadefuh - That's a great idea. I'd love to see it come to life as a real train there. Your set-up with the real train and the model in the case is interesting.

rameshganga - Great scene. I think the focus doesn't match between the CG and the background, but the perspective is very good. You'll need to light the utility poles to match the poles in the photograph, and maybe also scale them bigger? I'd love to see some reflections on parts of the train that are still gray. The gravel looks pretty good, but gets blurred in places and some stones could have fallen onto the ground in the foreground. The plant in the lower left has compositing issues, especially where it intersects with the little building. Keep going!

teq - Looking good! I think the background needs some haze or atmosphere fading in with distance, so the silos in the background don't look so contrasty. The tracks and stones are looking good, except that the stones seem to repeat a little too much in places. Keep going with the texturing!

lighthunder - Nice scene. Others have given you good feedback already. Remember you don't need to see into the train, the window can just be reflective. I think the window on the side of the little house could be deleted if it doesn't fit with the advertising panel you want there. I wish we could see more of the water tower with the nice sign mapped onto it, that gives a distinctly local appearance to the scene.

-jeremy

FeD
03-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the feedback jeremy ! You gave me new idea for this scene, maybe i'll work on a new one soon:), a bit more "home" look

I only need a Forest... glups

jmBoekestein
03-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm working on this one in two packages, I'll set one up in 3ds mx using Brazil as a renderer, and, I'll set one up to be rendered in vue xStream 6, which I'm really liking except for the fact it doesn't work in full hdr bandwidth so to say.

here's max:
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8339/traintest1wf4.th.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=traintest1wf4.jpg)

and here's xstream test 1:
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8774/vueatmospheretest4du1.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vueatmospheretest4du1.jpg)
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/816/vueatmospheretest1mn2.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vueatmospheretest1mn2.jpg)

lighthunder
03-10-2008, 04:46 AM
thank u jeremy for the feedback i got ur point i work forward for better output :thumbsup:

lighthunder
03-10-2008, 04:56 AM
thank u for the feedback friend leonikou, i like to get comments on my work thank u onceagain i will work on it :thumbsup:

Leonikou
03-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Jeremy - Thank you for your comments! I will get them fixed asap. You are quite right about that ocean, and inspite the fact that I had planned the scene initially without it, I think it is a great element and definately Greek! :)

Samo - Thanks a lot my friend. The light bulbs is a great tip. I think I will use some standard StreetLights seen in Greece as well on the side pavement. It would be a great initiative to set a night render as well!

krzlesniewski
03-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi. I know that is a litle bit late but this is my entrance in the competition... and I have to work on it...
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5060/localtrainrend01gw6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

snoopyBG
03-13-2008, 08:11 PM
That's how it would be like if the train was moving away from us. You've got the motion blur backwards.

jmBoekestein
03-13-2008, 09:11 PM
How do you figure that SnoopyBG? It would seem a matter of probable exposure to me, and it looks ok from where I'm sitting. :surprised

mmoses00
03-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Here is a :47 second render in 3dsmax - using FinalRender.

Although FinalRender is not doing much here. There are no tweaks done to any textures yet.. just some spec adjustment... but otherwise its the default scene... no textures.

Just playing around with some light. If going this route in the shadows this much.. I would probably go scanline.. and get a 20 second render or less. Comped in Combustion.

http://www.matt.moses.name/BIRN/LocalTrain_001.0.jpg

jeremybirn
03-14-2008, 03:37 PM
FeD - I hope your "forest" can be a photo taken locally and comped in, so it doesn't take forever to render?

jmBoekestein - Keep going with those tests. If you setting on a back-lit image with the sun behind, try some rim light and glints from the sun on the train.

Labad85 - Not late at all, right in the middle. Once you get the sky in there it'll be easier to tell if the lighting matches. Don't forget the "local" part of the challenge, to make it look like Poland. The motion blur looks good, it'll get better when there are highlights and variation on the train. Don't use motion blur in all your test renders because it's too slow, though, so turn it off until you get nice shading, lighting, and integration with the local environment.

snoopyBG - With motion blur in real photographs and film frames, there's no way to tell which way something is moving along its path. If something's moving at a constant speed while the shutter is opened, and the lighting is uniform while the shutter is opened, then the blur is uniform. For example, if you took pictures of an apple sometimes falling downwards, and sometimes being tossed upwards in front of the camera, you couldn't tell them apart after you took them because the motion blur would be the same.

mmoses00 - Beutiful film noir image! I love it! For the "local" angle, I think there's room for a distinctive city skyline in sillouhette in the background, or something distinctive to San Francisco like that?

-jeremy

mmoses00
03-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Where are the people? This is a 2 min render in Finalrender/3dsmax. I used just a full beauty pass and a ZDepth pass to do some soft effects and fog in Combustion. It could definitely be better in regard to light direction...and composition... and some people milling around and sitting would be nice as well. This set is some leftover gamelevel stuff I had laying around.... and the foreground textures are pretty lowres. But it feels kinda cool. Pretty paint job on this train!

http://www.matt.moses.name/BIRN/LocalTrainStation_001.0.jpg

Samo
03-16-2008, 01:12 PM
mmoses00,

here you have the Santa Fe logo in SGV format, in case you want to use it (i did it BTW):
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=O7EGX4D8

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=213975&nseq=5

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/3537/compositingwc6.jpg

Leonikou
03-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Hello everyone.

Jeremy : I am half way on making the changes you mentioned (nothing to post yet), as well as adding the final elements on the scene, so I thought I'd share one more small update.
Leaves are paint effects, rendered with Maya software - comped in Photoshop.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/leoni_kou/Train%20cgsociety/UpdateLeavesTestVingete.jpg

I hope it doesn't look very bad with the leaves, coz I kind of like them.

The weather is getting really nice these days in Greece, that it is so hard to get to work! :D

mmoses00 - I like your first render! Very cinematic indeed. If you introduced something yellow, it would be like a scene from sin city! Haha! Good one!

Labad85 - Cool Motion Blur and nice Camera!

Feanor77
03-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Hello Jeremy and everyone!

I didn't know CGTalk but when I saw the images posted for this challenge I decided to join!

Below there's my first image just for giving the general mood (the darkest areas is too dark).
The background is a photo of the lake surrounding my town with digital painted clouds then used for IBL. I cleaned up the geometry from .obj files and did a new UV Layout in Maya, painted the Color, Bump and Specular Textures in Photoshop, quick rendered in Mental Ray and Post-Processed the Image in Photoshop again. Now I'm working on other objects, Train Textures, Shaders and a more complex Light setup (now there's only a Direct light, IBL and an AO Pass).

http://www.claudiolissi.it/CGTalk/localTrainRenderTest.jpg

jeremybirn
03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Leonikou - Beautiful upgrade! I love the colors and feel. Glad you're still working on making the sea more visible, maybe getting rid of water tower or pushing it back in space so it appears smaller would help. The DOF looks very fake, with such a harsh transition between blurred and unblurred leaves.

mmoses00 - Good start, the building fits well with the train. Maybe you could take pictures of storefronts in the Ferry Terminal building and map those along the side walls. Light seems to leak through under the corner in the foreground, maybe you need some occlusion or at least better defined shadows. The reflections on the side of the train look like pure black and white areas, maybe it just needs to be given something else to reflect.

-jeremy

mmoses00
03-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Slight hint of Bay Bridge back there. Just did not have time to model up a sea lion, but a sea lion should be in there. Yes, looks too new to be down there..Again... not too keen on texturing everything.. just playing with light. This is rendered in 3dsmax scanline - basic render with two lights.. and a couple of caustic gobos for the light caustics. Just for quick run and gun lighting, this is a single beauty pass, which renders almost like what you see here, and a Zdepth pass, used in comp for murkyness. This scene can easily be animated, as the water is just noise and wave spacewarp controlled in max. Fish are a particle system. Render time = 49 sec for 1280x720 Comped in Combustion. HD version here (http://www.matt.moses.name/BIRN/LocalTrainWreck_002.0.jpg)

http://www.matt.moses.name/BIRN/LocalTrainWreck_001.0.jpg

emfj25
03-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I have some questions… for participate in this challenge, where I have to post my final image? I have to post it here or is only for progress? And what are the dimensions of the final image. Thanks!

Sorry I’m new in this…:)

jeremybirn
03-19-2008, 06:28 AM
emfj25 - Hello! This is the right place to post your entries or works in progress. Be sure to read image posting instructions in the first post of this thread. Any of the sizes you see people posting here are fine.

mmoses00 - Terrific! It looks like you have nailed the underwater challenge as well.

Feanor77 - Welcome! That's a great scene, nice colors, good integration with the backdrop. The fill lighting is uneven, with fill on the train and water tower, but none on other surfaces. Even if it's all coming from an IBL sphere, differences like the reflectivity of different shaders can still make the amount of fill light look inconsistent.

-jeremy

HAMIDEFTEKHARI62
03-19-2008, 09:58 AM
hi to all imnot ....

emfj25
03-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi!!!
Very nice renders I have seen here. Very cool scene, great model.:thumbsup:
Here is an update image of my scene, still in progress… but I want to know how I’m going:)
I haven’t touched the stones yet.

Rendered with Mental Ray
http://shared.zanqdo.com/i_TrenFinal03.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_MiaMLRbBHe0/R-FKTNy1mTI/AAAAAAAAACM/fUFez9qC-OY/s1600-h/TrenFinal03.jpg

JCBug
03-19-2008, 06:00 PM
emfj25 - Nice picture ! It's really a local train, I suppose...
Very good work

mmoses00
03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Don't mess with the train engineer! -- Cue Wilhelm Scream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio) on that guy on the left.

This is 3dsmax and FinalRender. 1 min render.. a single sun omni and a few attenuated fill omnis + the GI skylight and a sky dome to reflect into the train. In my experience comparing Mental ray, Brazil, VRAY and FinalRender, FR has always blown the doors off the others in speed for getting pretty renders. Composited in Combustion. Dust effects added using Particle Illusion realtime particles! This took 4 hrs from start to finish. The guys and horses are leftover assets I had laying around.... so layout, lighting, and comping took up the 4 hours.

http://www.matt.moses.name/BIRN/LocalTrain_Heist.2B.jpg

Samo
03-19-2008, 07:27 PM
This particular model is supposed to be a diesel locomotive, this model in particular began the transition from steam to Diesel power in the USA, although in this contest the train and the scene look should be adapted to everyone's country.

I say that because this scene could be a good excuse to test some smoke, in case the train is moving. Stacks are more or less modelled in the roof of locomotive. Again, in railpictures.net you will find references about what smoke from diesel locomotives should look like.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=213566&nseq=48
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=202170&nseq=96
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=199476&nseq=105
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=199332&nseq=106

To inspire you:
http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=1559
http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=106
http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=4

Alvaro

mmoses00
03-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Changed it. The white puffs did not read well against the bright sky... so I went with darker smoke... Sometimes reality doesn't look real.

lighthunder
03-20-2008, 08:48 AM
jeremy: i av made the corrections on you'r comments

leonikou: thank you my friend i av made some changes as u said this is my first change i am working on passes as u said http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/855/thetrain15pv1.jpg

Samo
03-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Changed it. The white puffs did not read well against the bright sky... so I went with darker smoke... Sometimes reality doesn't look real.

In many photographs smoke does not show up or it is just heat, I think it depends on the weather or and the particular condition of the locomotive. Anyway I think It could be a good addition to our renders.

this is another iteration of my work, I've tried to incorporate all your suggestions, sometimes with little fortune (shack glass). In the next render I will try to do what you suggested about making the more distant things fade into the distance through the air and dust. I'll add some smoke too.

In this render I've used path tracing + HDRI + sunlight + frontal fill ligh
Blender, YafaRay, Inkscape, the Gimp

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3978/renderbg01jv1ja4.png

Weepul
03-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Don't mess with the train engineer! -- Cue Wilhelm Scream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio) on that guy on the left.
:eek: So that sound has a name! Priceless! :D

This is 3dsmax and FinalRender. 1 min render.. a single sun omni and a few attenuated fill omnis + the GI skylight and a sky dome to reflect into the train. In my experience comparing Mental ray, Brazil, VRAY and FinalRender, FR has always blown the doors off the others in speed for getting pretty renders. Composited in Combustion. Dust effects added using Particle Illusion realtime particles! This took 4 hrs from start to finish. The guys and horses are leftover assets I had laying around.... so layout, lighting, and comping took up the 4 hours.
Wow, great image and amazing efficiency on your part! Just getting that .obj imported correctly into my app (and/or fixing the glitches) would have taken longer than that! :banghead:

rajasanthi
03-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Just downloaded the file........planning to start...

lebada
03-21-2008, 02:45 PM
some really fun stuff. anyone wanna do a sin city high contrast b/w with some blood on the tracks? lol..

love the renders. keep'em goin:thumbsup:

mmoses00
03-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I have to get back to work! :) Here are the four images I did in one page.

http://www.matt.moses.name/BIRN/LocalTrain_Recap.jpg

Here are the original posts:

"Train Noir" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5014364&postcount=131)
"Train Reef" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5022036&postcount=138)
"In The Station" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5017989&postcount=133)
"3:10 To Stockton" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5026866&postcount=144)

MartinRomero
03-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Opps, I have already posted it below.

MartinRomero
03-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Hello Jeremy,
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=125730&stc=1

I finally had some time to work on this so here it is. Even thought I am from San Francisco this version of the train was inspired by some images that I saw online. It's work in progress however, I wanted to submit what I have so far. The big image is the final comp. From left to right, Key light layer, Ambient occlusion layer and diffuse layer.

Even though procedural texturing it's never my choice, I end up texturing the floor, fence and other elements procedurally because there were too many of them. I couldn't really deal with transferring uvs, and all of that however, the major elements were properly unwrapped and textured using photographs.

As far as lighting goes I have a directional light coming from the right hand side for the key light layer. I have also set up an array of spot lights for the diffuse layer and I also have the occlusion layer.

Let me know what you think Jeremy and if anybody else has a positive comment or suggestion please feel free to do so.
Cheers,

-Martin

yossam
03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Could someone please convert this file for Lightwave use? I would like to try my hand at this challange.

Thanks

MAV4d
03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
this scene is killin my machine, it isnt much although, a p4 with 2gigs, im trying to get through one FG pass so i can freeze it! lol hopefully ill have somthing up soon.

visua
03-23-2008, 11:51 PM
MAV4d: Time to get a new one? ;) This is my first take on this challenge, rendertime 8 minutes, with lower AA around 4:

Hardware: Apple Pro 2x3 ghz Quad Xeon, I'm in heaven!

http://www.nicz.net/train.jpg

this scene is killin my machine, it isnt much although, a p4 with 2gigs, im trying to get through one FG pass so i can freeze it! lol hopefully ill have somthing up soon.

m96
03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
@leonikou master texturing!!
...καταπληκτικός!!!:)

Samo
03-24-2008, 12:44 PM

this is a light blender version of the scene. All subdivision surf. modifiers and the ballast stones have been removed.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y282Z0VI

If your software does not support subdivision surfaces, then apply subsurf before exporting. I think only the locomotive main mesh need subsurf and maybe some other locomotive parts (doors and round windows frames). Send me a private missage if you need help about how to apply subsurf in Blender, anyway here there is some info.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Subsurf

Maya users should use "objects groups" option in the OBJ export panel to get separated meshes.

hueman
03-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my first entry in this amazing contest.This is what i did so far.
I used final gather and a dir lighthttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/blueman_2008/traincopy.jpg

mirmel
03-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi! at last.... here's my first attempt in this challenge :p
I wanted to focus the scene on this concept: a desert station (my station :) ) , early in the morning.
Maya software
occlusion pass
photoshop for background

what do you think?

Thank you!!

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8366/tain1ly6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

zcyviper
03-25-2008, 02:41 AM
Hi everyone

This is my quick lighting setup using MR Physical sun and sky. I kinda like the result, but got some problems too

It seems I can;t change the shadow color, or disable the shadow for further compositing.
Is it because it's suppose to be "Physical" correct,so there is no need to modifiy the shadow color? or there is something else I should know about...

I've googled the problem but nothing useful. I am hoping that I can get the answer here~

Cheers

hueman
03-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi everyone,
i did some tweaks to my render.Here is what i got so far .
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/blueman_2008/train1copy.jpg

Leonikou
03-26-2008, 11:27 AM
m96 - Thanks a lot man! Are you into 3D as well?

emfj25 - Great start Elke, that is a nice image! I think that the front window panels are going too bright at the moment.

samo - Hey, it is coming along pretty nice. I like the way the top of the rails is reflecting, but I think that the image might be a little overexposed (white burnt) on the left side. Maybe try colouring the Key Lighting ( Sun ) . I actually almost never leave my lights completely white.

Martin Romero - Nice start! I like rusty textures. I know it is a wip image but it would feel nicer if you made some nice decalls and signs on the train, so that it looks local! Also although there is an occlusion pass, it is barely noticable in the final comp. (might have to do with the blending modes?) keep it up. :thumbsup:

Visua - Great grass man!

mirmel - Wow. That is a nice composition, and I think it can become a great piece! It sets you off to a nice mood, and the way the background fades off to the fog is very good!
I think that the front needs more fill light (like the fill on the train on the right)
and the textures on the ground needs more detail, especially if you want a dessert environment (cracks, sand etc.). Because of the dramatic sun position, it would be nice to see all the shadow work on the ground (which is lost right now) and some more back - rim lighting on the models. (like the back train which looks fantastic with its nice highlight.)
Sorry for all these comments. :)

hueman - Nice camera and composition! I think that the rails might be slightly above the ground, (they seem to float in the render) .The texturing looks nice, but you might need higher resolution textures for the walls on the left and the roof perhaps. Keep it up.

mirmel
03-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Leonikou: thank you very much for the feedback!! :)
yes .. you are right for the rim light, I'll add it!
(for the dessert environment....sorry I used an incorrect word :D.. I mean solitary )

bye!
m

Samo
03-26-2008, 03:05 PM
hueman

I think the mile post should be in the other side of the rails, if not passengers would stumble on it when boarding a train.

MartinRomero
03-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Thank you for your commnents Leonikou (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=263046). I will be making some changes to it.

Cheers

Martin

hueman
03-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Leonikou- Thanks man, for your wonderful suggestion. I would like to know what resolution images you are using.Also i can't get that sharpness in my renders as you guys.
Can you suggest how to get that in my image .I am using MR final gather

Samo- Thank you samo, i totally missed the mile post concept.here is an updatehttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/blueman_2008/newcopy.jpg

jeremybirn
03-27-2008, 10:36 AM
hueman - Nice scene! It doesn't look distinctly Indian to me yet, maybe it's the lack of people in the shot, but at least making some of the signs more prominant might help provide local flavor. If you're interested in sharpness, check your anti-aliasing settings. Good anti-aliasing with a Mitchell or Lancoz filter helps a lot. I think you have a bit too much fill light, you could have less fill under the awnings and in shadow areas, and make more of the fill a cooler (more blue) color compared to the warmer sun light. The glass train windows and windows on the station could use a brighter, more blue reflection too.

zcyviper - Welcome! That's a good start. See if you can get the sunlight brighter, with less fill light and darker shadows. A little more variety in texture and color will add contrast to the scene as well.

mirmel - Great! I love your scene! Nice composition! I'm not sure everyone would guess right away that it was in Italy, maybe some Italian signs could be added, or text on the trains? There's a thin outlinearound the signal in the center that really should only be a rim on the sun side, not running up both sides. The highlights or reflections running along the top of the rails in the foreground look like they should be blocked underneath the train, maybe you could add some shadows or make sure the train is reflected there?

visua - Nice scene! It looks like the train is about to hit the end of the tracks, though... The grass is looking good, I hope you can texture the rest of the scene as well. Think about whether your background image could include more than just sky, to capture the local look of Sweden.

MartinRomero - Great scene overall! The white patches don't look done yet - if they are intentional to look like snow or something, then try another texture on them. The train is nicely textured on the metal, I think the windows and front headlight will need the same level of attention. The telephone pole could use a tiny bit more fill light, just to make sure it gets enough bounce from the white lower down and fill from the sky higher up. There's too much fill in the shadow of the train, though, that area needs more shadows or occlusion for the amount of light there. The base of the signal to the left of the train doesn't look well connected to the ground, more shadows or occlusion are needed there. A little fog or depth fading could help make the far horizon shift in color more with distance.

mmoses00 - All wonderful images. Thanks for the re-cap!

Samo - From your image back on 3/20, it looks terrific! The sunlight is very frontal, and I wonder if moving it off to the side more would make things look less flat and give better shaping to round surfaces like the train and telephone pole. The bottom of the plants should be similar tone to the ground under the plants, so if the bottom of the plants is going black then the shadow should be darker. The end of the train seems to connect with the round silos in the background, as if they were being pulled by the last car, maybe you could shift that around to avoid that tangency. A little more depth fading to simulate atmosphere or dust would help with the sense of distance in the scene, so if the blacks don't go quite as black in the background that'll be more realistic.

lighthunder - Looking good! Keep going with texturing the buildings.

-jeremy

mirmel
03-27-2008, 01:33 PM
mirmel - Great! I love your scene! Nice composition! I'm not sure everyone would guess right away that it was in Italy, maybe some Italian signs could be added, or text on the trains? There's a thin outlinearound the signal in the center that really should only be a rim on the sun side, not running up both sides. The highlights or reflections running along the top of the rails in the foreground look like they should be blocked underneath the train, maybe you could add some shadows or make sure the train is reflected there?

Thank you so much Jeremy to spending your spare time helping us!!!
I'll follow every advices you told me :)!
The reflections along the top of the rails are created by an env ball map, I'll try to block them under the foreground train with a map..

bye!
m

emfj25
03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
-jeremy
Hi!!

Hi Jeremy, I post my image of my work progress the Wednesday 19, I noticed that you comment the works, but I thing you miss mine :). If is not too much problem I will like to hear your opinion of how I’m going… :applause:

emfj25
03-27-2008, 05:00 PM
emfj25 - Great start Elke, that is a nice image! I think that the front window panels are going too bright at the moment.

*Leonikou: Thanks for your feedback :thumbsup:, and i will change the brightness of the windows, thank you so much… I didn’t notice.:)

MartinRomero
03-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Hello Jeremy,

Hey, thanks a lot for your comments. I am currently working on some chenges to the scene. I don't really know what happen with the occlusion. I multiplied it the way I should but still didn't show up properly. I will post the new version as soon as I can. I know I am running out of time. Anyways, thank you so much I am glad I was able to participate on this one.

Regards,

Martin

CBMarco
03-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Here is a preview render of how its gonna look , i was thinking of adding some rain and fog any ideas or comments welcomed...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/27/1023611/Local_Train_cgtalk_by_Wamu.jpg

... By the way is an 1600 x 1200 ok for the final render and do i just post it here saying its the final render or is there another thread for final entries?

emfj25
03-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi!! every body

*Marco I like your scene, I think that looks great, I see that you put the typical mountains from Costa Rica very nice :thumbsup:… the only thing is that for me the Sign is to clean for the overall of the scene.

Your idea of putting rain is very cool and the fog is going to help you with the atmosphere, try it, I thing is going to look great. Suerte :)

* Samo I really like your scene, I like the colors… I love the background with the mountains:), maybe for me the grass is too green, I thing the dust will give you more atmosphere but it looks very nice, and your black and white scene… wow! ¡Me gusta mucho!

Elke M.

teq
03-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone

just a quick update, as you can see I decided to drop the cast day setting in favor of a night scene, I'll try to add a few details tomorrow but since I need to go to a seminar first I honestly don't know if I'm gonna get much done this weekend. Render time right now is 4 minutes and 23 seconds.http://teq.3dwars.net/test8-night.jpg

Hats off to the competition I've seen some really great works here!

hueman
03-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi everyone,
Thank you very much jermy for your wonderful suggestion . Thanke for clearing my doubt about filtering. I have yet to add some more details to bring the local flavour. Hhttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/blueman_2008/new2copy.jpgere is a quick update.

jeremybirn
03-29-2008, 10:46 AM
emfj25 - Nice image #142, I really like it. The wall is well integrated. The front windows and front headlight of the train could both go to an value in-between the darkness of the headlight and the brightness of the windows. The window of the little building is too bright also. Maybe a little dust being kicked-up could add to the scene.

hueman - Looking good. Maybe the front windows don't need to be transparent at all, and could use some dust or dirt. The lower right cubes look over-lit, as if there's no shadowing or occlusion between them, and could be better textured. Maybe the wheels of the train cars could be a different color than the side to give variety. The scene could use some dust or atmosphere to make the more distant parts look further back. The soft shadow on the wall need more shadow rays (more samples) so it doesn't look grainy.

teq - Good start on the night scene. Maybe parts of the train could be darker and fall into shadow, and there could be more artificial lights i nthe scene. The white thing in the center left looks too bright now, but a sodium lamp above it might motivate it. You can use different colors for the different types of lights if you want.

CBMarco - Welcome! That's terrific! Really great image. The train's front windows don't need to be transparent, they could just reflect or be dirty. The light on the side wheels of the train on the left doesn't look convincing, maybe the wheels could go less white and if it's supposed to be light from the house there then you could have some hit the side of the train. The lit area in the center forground could fade out with distance, and maybe the plants could get more translucently lit if there's that much light there.

-jeremy

Feanor77
03-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone and thanks to Jeremy for feedback!

I saw a lot of wonderful works so the challenge is very exciting for me:

tuffmutt1: the night scene is stunning and I like the color palette.

FeD: very evocative lighting!

Leonikou: great texturing and shading job specially the procedural rust and the glass!

mmoses00: the "Train Reef" is magic but maybe the train is too clean, with some "underwater aging" would be perfect...

And now...
This is my final version (I hope) in color and Black & White. The color version is quite illustrative and based on color contrast more than on realism. I decided to work on a B&W version too because without color the shading and lighting are better focused, after all this is a lighting challenge and at last I prefer this one.

The original images are at 4K resolution but I posted at 1280x720 and you can find an HD Version Here (http://www.claudiolissi.it/CGTalk/localTrain_Lake_1080.jpg)and HD B&W Version Here (http://www.claudiolissi.it/CGTalk/localTrain_Lake_BW_1080.jpg)

http://www.claudiolissi.it/CGTalk/localTrain_Lake.jpg

http://www.claudiolissi.it/CGTalk/localTrain_Lake_BW.jpg

davidac86
03-29-2008, 04:52 PM
http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/199820/199820_1206653391_large.jpg

This is my artwork for the challenge, hope you like it, also if you have a critique or comment are welcome. Thanks. Cool Challenge!

Feanor77
03-29-2008, 06:30 PM
davidac86: I like your artwork, the "dawn / early morning" light balance of scene is really nice and the grass is wonderful, but two "critiques":
1) The bump mapping on train is too strong I think. Looking at wires on right side of images maybe the bump is stressed by the post-process sharpening filter (Photoshop Unsharp Mask with no threshold or too wide radius).
2) The foreground wood have color texture perpendicular to bump and stretched UV and too low resolution textures; you can adjust only the first 3/4 pieces, the distance fade the problem with the others.

Good challenge!

CBMarco
03-30-2008, 03:58 AM
HI , this would be my final entry , if anyone has any comments or critiques on things to improve would be great, by the way thanks jeremy for the advices ...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/27/1023611/TRENFinal.jpg

Samo
03-30-2008, 11:26 AM
CBMarco

The goods cars in the background needs rails I think. Also that vertical post you have in the foreground is suposed to be a milepost rather than a signal post. A signal post should be higher, and many times semaphor posts are used to place them.

The semaphor could be a good place to place a small light, if the train is before the semaphor light, then the light could be green, if the train just passed the semaphor, the semaphor arm should be lowered in red position and the light should be red. Google "railway arm semaphor" and you will get an idea how these semaphors worked.

The headlamp in the locomotive is maybe too bright. Use some numbers in the locomotive, locomotive have always numbers to differenciate them.

The shack glasses can use some dirt, you know, windows glasses get always dirt near the edges.

The goods cars seem to be stationary in a railway yard, I will place some distant lighting simulating that the railway yard is iluminated.

CBMarco
03-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Samo

Thanks for the advices, the goods cars in tha background are supposed to be abandoned so i guess i'll leave them like that for the moment , about the semaphor i think it would be red light then ,change the signal to amile post, put the numbers on the train and lower the headlamp light and put dirt on the windows...the only problem is i dont have the scene file with me , just the psd , so ill try to work it all out in photoshop :scream: but i thibk it can be done , well anyway thx for the good critiques... :thumbsup:

mirmel
03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi! here's my final image. hope you like it
comments and critics are wellcome! thanks :)
good challenge!
m

[/url][url="http://imageshack.us"]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6554/tain2qz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

teq
03-30-2008, 10:01 PM
This is my final entry with only little alteration from my last post due to shortness of time. Thanks to everyone who helped me and of cause samo for the nice scene! If time permits, I'll try to join up on the next challenge.
http://teq.3dwars.net/localtrain-final-night.jpg
highres version (http://teq.3dwars.net/localtrain-final-night-fullres.jpg)

CBMarco
03-30-2008, 10:55 PM
well i think now this would be my final entry cause i got lots of other work to do but still if there's something i dont notice please let me know ...:scream:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/27/1023611/TRENfix.jpg

RErender
03-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi All,

Wanted to give the challenge a try I've always liked these old f-unit trains. I based my paint scheme on the old Santa Fe "Warbonnet". The local station here in Orange, CA is a remodel of the Santa Fe Depot that has been here since the turn of last century. I thought it would be cool for one of the trains from the 40's to make it back to the station.

I spent a lot of time creating the textures for the engines and have not had enough time to pay all the attention I'd have liked to texturing the other parts.

Thanks for the challenge and thak you Alvaro for sharing such a cool model.

http://www.varcht.com/A_Final_sm.jpg

RErender
03-30-2008, 11:42 PM
double post, always hangs when I submit here

franciscorq
03-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Hi everyone!. Here goes my submission for the lightning challenge. C&C are most welcome.

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/310038/310038_1206921726_large.jpg

Samo
03-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Mirmel

I see that you have removed the lower frontal section of the locomotive. If there is an element that is common in most locomotives is that, because it helps to remove obstacles and snow off the rails as the train goes. Also as I recommended to CBMarco, those arm semaphors are a good excuse to place small green, yellow or red trafic lights.

RErender and franciscorq

Nice renders. Only two minor details, the horns in the roof and the roof ifself gets very very dirty because usually nobody cleans that part, so It would make them dirtier. The coupler should be bare oxidated iron. Because of security, in real life is forbiden to paint couplers because is bad to detect deterioration and cracks in them.

Your personnal railway consultant ;)
Alvaro

KsiKsu
03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
delete please this post

emfj25
03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi everybody!!! Here is my final :) I hope you like it, the render took like 17 min.
Dimensions 819 x 1024

Thanks Jeremy for this challenge :applause: I enjoy it, and thanks for the Feedbacks, I learn a lot.
I didn’t know how to do the dust effect; I hope it looks good… :)

Thanks Samo for the cool model :thumbsup: very nice!!!

http://shared.zanqdo.com/i_Final_Tren02.jpg

Two more images that I like to shared :love:

http://shared.zanqdo.com/i_2finales.jpg

-Elke M.
Gracias a todos! :thumbsup:

Skamierski
03-31-2008, 10:04 PM
not really final, but say its fnal, i was sick, had a desease and i ve seen this thread 2 days ago, so i had only 1 day to work on light and textures,,, by the way thank you for that challenge, was fun

http://www.skamierski.com/zugfinal10.jpg

wakart
03-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Hello people. This is my "Local Train". Jeremy great Challege, thanks for the oportunity. Alvaro great model.:thumbsup:
I hope everybody can critique my work.:bounce: http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/321180/321180_1207004574_large.jpg

krizstof
04-01-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi there, this is my entry for the challenge, any c&c are welcomed :)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/kristof4ever/train2.jpg

mirmel
04-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Mirmel

I see that you have removed the lower frontal section of the locomotive. If there is an element that is common in most locomotives is that, because it helps to remove obstacles and snow off the rails as the train goes. Also as I recommended to CBMarco, those arm semaphors are a good excuse to place small green, yellow or red trafic lights.
Alvaro

thanks Samo for the advice!
I see that the italian locomotive have a different shape, especially in the frontal part http://www.train-simulator.net/E464GraffitiWeb/E464reg.jpg ...for this reason I opted to remove the frontal section... but you're right of course!
Yhank you!
m

emfj25
04-01-2008, 04:28 PM

I like it; it looks like San Jose... very nice :). But the little wood house it bothers me a little bit, for me is out of place. And maybe increase the bump in some places, to feel the texture a little more
In some places of the train the texture look pull out or starchy (I don’t know how to say it in English) *La textura se ve un poquito estirada en uno de los lados del tren.*:D

But it looks real nice, the buildings and the mountains… very nice. very San Jose:thumbsup:

Feanor77
04-01-2008, 04:51 PM

Very nice overall image! :thumbsup:
I like specially the gobo shadows on the left and the diagonal line composition.
Maybe the shading on train is too far away the metallic behaviour, there is a lot of dust (great texturing) but some metallic "spot" on cleaner parts would be better I think!

Skamierski
04-02-2008, 12:07 PM

i somehow doesnt like this picture, it looks too bumpy, too dirty, very unbelievable, like cg 10 years ago. bad textured.

Leonikou
04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Skamierski - What are you talking about? I think the desease must have influenced your judgement. :eek:

krizstof - I think you have a great feeling in your image. The texturing is very nice, especially in the tunel area and most of the train. There is a great rich environmet created by the vegetation, the dust ,and the nice lighting (gobos rule!) .

The glass parts of the render need more work. The shack is brilliant but the window glass is way reflective. Also the windows on the train should reflect the lighting better. (there is a wide eccentricity and it makes them feel like strange plastic where the sun hits them.)

Very nice scene, the dust and the vegetation really brings it to life.! :thumbsup:

= = = = = = = = = === = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

(All these beautiful renders make me wanna play Syberia again!!! - 1 and 2 - what a great adventure game...)

Skamierski
04-03-2008, 08:40 AM
common, its just my opinion :P a little less bump and it would look nicer

MinaRagaie
04-03-2008, 09:22 AM
common, its just my opinion :P a little less bump and it would look nicer
I'd agree that bump on the right wall ruined a great image for me...
but I wont say less bump... it would look much better using displacment.
there's also some texture streching on the front of the train (or is it just me??)

-Mina

digitalframes
04-03-2008, 10:45 AM
hello every one specially jeremy sir,
this is my first post here in this challenge. plz help me to figuring my mistakes tht i will be a good lighting artist. waiting for your critques.
thanks

sumit sharma

digitalframes
04-03-2008, 11:01 AM
http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sunsettrainzy8.jpg

hai sir and everone here,
this is my first post here in cg challenge.
well plz b free to critque as much as u can plz.
waiting for your replies.

thanks & regards

sumit sharma

Samo
04-03-2008, 11:32 AM
hi

This is the final image, little variations from the last update. There is still work to be done and suggestion to incorporate, but I couldn't finished them on time. Maybe I will post an improved version the coming days.

Blender + Yafaray + Inkscape+ The Gimp
Pathtracing + HDRI
took a lot to render in my PIV

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4738/render56ds4.png

jeremybirn
04-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Feanor77 - Great image! I think the fill levels are maybe just a little too low on the telephone pole, compared to the other signals and back-lit objects. The side of the train looks as if it is reflective, but reflecting something big and red instead of the objects next to it? Maybe you could knock that red down a bit, especially on the back car?

davidac86 - Great work! I think the bump maps are too deep on the train, it looks very embossed. The train's front windows don't need to be very transparent, just darkness and reflections would make sense there. I love the vegetation, that's really convincing. The texture on the foreground train tracks could use some work, especially the wood texture on the rails themselves.

CBMarco - Terrific final entry! I love it.

mirmel - Great work! I love your final image.

teq - Great work! Everything looks very clear, if there's something else I might do to that image it would be to add some fog or depth-fading or glows around some of the light sources.

RErender - I love it! You've really nailed the integration. If there would any tweaks, I'd say the front windows of the train could use more of the blue reflection that you see in the number 49 panels, and the train could use a little more texture in and around the front headlights. Those horns on top could be reflective metal, too.

franciscorq - Terrific scene! If there were some tweaks, I'd say the front windows could be more reflective and less transparent. The center of the side seems to have a bright gray panel, and then mostly darkness underneath that, it would be nice to tone down that panel a bit but see alittle more of what's underneath it. The screen-right area could use a background layer with more rows of corn.

emfj25 - Great work! The color ones are definately the strongest.

Skamierski - Nice work! Maybe when you feel better you could find something to make it look more distinctly German, in terms of buildings, signs, backgrounds, text on the train, etc.? The train almost has some of the colors of the German flag already.

wakart - nice work! I think the impression of having the sun low in the background could be improved with some rim light comign from the back, and fill light trowing yellow onto the train (the back of the train would get more of the yellow light, not the front) and rims or kicks on the things in the left and maybe some atmosphere so it got more hazy with distance as you went back into the yellow light. The background tanks on the right could use more tesselation so they look smoother and rounder.

krizstof - Nice job! The grass and fence on the right are very believable. I think the telephone pole and the scaffolding on the hill and a few other things need a little blue fill light from the sky. The window of the little house looks very bright, I can't tell if it's supposed to be a reflection or a bright light inside, but you could tone that down so it looks like dark glass with a little reflection.

digitalframes - Good start! It could use some texturing of course. I don't know where all the brightness is coming from on that train rail, a reflection of the sky should get blocked as you go under the train. The impression of the sun setting in the background could give you a lot of kick and rim lighting on the buildings and poles and train, that could look great.

Samo - Wonderful image.
-jeremy

teq
04-04-2008, 10:24 AM
teq - Great work! Everything looks very clear, if there's something else I might do to that image it would be to add some fog or depth-fading or glows around some of the light sources.

Thank you! I'll add some post effects later. I already tried a few things like dust and fog as well as zdepth, but I always ended up exchanging the local look with more atmosphere which wasn't what I wanted then again I didn't have much time to fiddle around with the settings.

Feanor77
04-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Feanor77 - Great image! I think the fill levels are maybe just a little too low on the telephone pole, compared to the other signals and back-lit objects. The side of the train looks as if it is reflective, but reflecting something big and red instead of the objects next to it? Maybe you could knock that red down a bit, especially on the back car?

Thanks Jeremy! You're right with all critiques. I love this kind of feedback, is a great way to learn. I always preferred the "Black and White" version of my work and now you exlplained me why! When I graded the image for color contrasts I boosted the reds and in the B&W this is not visible!

CBMarco
04-04-2008, 05:32 PM
CBMarco - Terrific final entry! I love it.

-jeremy

Thank you Jeremy , I was planning on improving more the scene but my hard drive died so i lost a lot of works i had on my computer including the train ...:scream: but i'm happy with the result.. :thumbsup:

cdx
04-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Great images I see here :thumbsup:

emfj25
04-04-2008, 06:18 PM
emfj25 - Great work! The color ones are definately the strongest.

-jeremy

Thank you very much; I enjoy it so much… :applause:
I always see things that I can improve, but I’m very happy with the final image. :)

ShamKiR
04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
My Maya MR and Photoshop shots

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9004/59897370sn9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

wait for my Night shots

jbrckovic
04-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Here's my entry. I'm too lazy to map it...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj102/jbrckovic/localtrain1.jpg

jeremybirn
04-12-2008, 06:18 PM
jbrckovic - Welcome. Too early to comment.

ShamKiR - Nice image! I think the directionality of the light could be better defined, with more light from the side. You have the highlight from the sun in the upper right, but the illumination and shadows look like they are coming straight-down, not from the right. Maybe the pole on the right could get rim-lit by the sun. You have could also get some darker tones in the shadowed areas, like the inside of the right rail of the track.

-jeremy

visua
04-14-2008, 12:07 PM
I've got some very strange issues with the geometry in the maya-scene, like 50% of the normals are flipped, and no matter what I do (reversing the normals so all of them are pointing in the same direction, hardening the faces or whatever) parts of the scene renders black?! Any ideas...

ShamKiR
04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Thx Jeremy for your reply I hope it will help me to improve my skills
There is so much work I`ve got to do to achieve results that I want

Feanor77
04-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Visua: I've got the same issues but only in viewports visualization. You can resolve with double face rendering (easy solution but longer rendertime) or (more efficent solution but time consuming) with conform, clean up and/or manually reversing the flipped normals. I found the .obj files cleaner but with maya file and .objs I remade some UV layout because they were very confused too.

Fex
04-17-2008, 06:09 PM
@visua : maybe try unlock normals...

Feanor77
04-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Hello everyone! This was my first challenge and I'd like to know...where I can see the winner?

anu3d
04-19-2008, 06:22 AM
nice scene to work with but are metal ray rendering in maya welcome?

chickenkts
04-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Night view
Artlantis S + Photoshop
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/nguyen_tien_kts/night_view.jpg

anu3d
04-24-2008, 07:35 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/239321/239321_1208934745_submedium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/239321/239321_1208934745_medium.jpg)
ok heres mine you can go to my profile to view it also
i first thought of rendering in mental ray but it took alot of time so heres the software render. comments are also welcome

jeremybirn
04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Feanor77 - Winners and galleries will be on-line soon. I fell far behind on doing those when I was working on wall-e, but that's done now and I'll soon have things on-line.

chickenkts - Beautiful Image! I love it! In terms of feedback, the light from the headlight doesn't look as realistic as it could, especially the little lines drawn out from the center. And I don't really get the impression of that being "local" in Vietnam, nothing seems really Vietnamese about the background or the train.

Anuradha - Nice job. I don't think the Maya Software Renderer is any faster than Mental Ray, maybe your render settings just weren't optimized. The DOF seems really fake, especially in the foreground, you could try getting rid of that and just adding a little more haze to the background. I'd expect to see more clearly defined shadows of the tracks.

-jeremy

anu3d
04-25-2008, 05:18 AM
thanks alot for the feedback.
i'll do the changes you asked and post it back.

:bounce:

Feanor77
04-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks Jeremy, I'm happy to wait if the reason is the work on wall-e!!!
I saw the teaser, the trailers and... I love it! The expressiveness of main character is stunning and I think that will be another masterpiece. I don't know if you can answer me but it's the truth or just a rumor that wall-e will be without speaking? And why we must wait october in Italy :sad: ?

anu3d
04-26-2008, 08:40 AM
im so sorry guys i lost all my data in the hard drive still dont know what i have lost.
i also lost the local train project. and some other projects

godzik
04-27-2008, 06:46 PM
good day everybody, there is my first render of local train... :)
will be waiting for constructive crits... :)

ShamKiR
04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Nice render But İ think there is too much bump on some shaders

jeremybirn
04-28-2008, 12:55 PM
godzik -

Good start on the scene. It needs reflections of the sky and surrounding environment in the glass windows on the front of the train, the metal rails of the tracks, and any other reflective parts. Right now there seems to be a lot of blue fill light from the sky in some areas, like to the right of the train, but none in other areas, like the shadow to the left of the train, or the rails of the tracks. Try to figure out what your fill light looks like without any sun and even that out.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
This is an old challenge now, this thread is archived. If you scroll down to the Challenge #14 section of the downloads page, you'll see that the models can still be downloaded for your tests, and also that a gallery has been made of top entries. Feel free to browse this thread to see what others have posted, even though you can no longer post here.

Congratulations on a great challenge, Everyone!

A gallery of selected images from this challenge is on-line:

http://www.3drender.com/challenges/local_train/index.htm

See you all next time!

-jeremy