PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral Painting, Captflushgarden (2D)

CaptFlushGarden
04-29-2003, 10:29 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15275/cathedral_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15275/cathedral.jpg)

Hi everyone! It's time for me to start posting here too, should hae done that long time ago. Anyway here's a pic I did few days ago, thought I'd share ti with you, if you want to se more stuff please visit www.johnwallin.net

thanx, bye!!

Dr.Jones
04-29-2003, 10:33 AM
:eek: wow

Balusilustalu
04-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Been looking at Craig Mullins' work a bit too close if you ask me.
Nice looking image though.

daredevil
04-29-2003, 10:40 AM
:applause: :buttrock: what kinda techniques did u use for this one? Is it a matte picture or something? (sorry im still not really familliar with that technique)

rrobert
04-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Woow ! very nice, good atmosphere!! :thumbsup:
Did you just paint it, and better yet: Are you gonna model it??? :shrug: :applause:

Friedric P
04-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Very, very nice. I really like the global color of the illustration (powerful contrast between orange and blue), and the contrast between detailed areas and more rough zones. :thumbsup:

I just have to say that I know your website for a while, and I really appreciate your work...:applause:

.overflowed
04-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Maybe few more details will be good.

I love colors/contrast.

Great work:xtreme:

DAREONER
04-29-2003, 11:12 AM
excellent !!

Vash T Stampede
04-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Smashing! http://members.lycos.nl/shakunetsuhadoken/Gifs/chunny-cheer-pow.gif

nanabaky
04-29-2003, 11:29 AM
that is very very impressive work, congradulashions !!!

PascalR
04-29-2003, 01:07 PM
wonderful work:buttrock:
Your website is really great too (I love your robots)
Well done!

Pascal

marci2001
04-29-2003, 01:12 PM
F O S

Beobrand
04-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Love the lighting. You have really captured the feeling of scale one gets in a large gothic cathedral (or are some of those arches romanesque?)...

You appear to have used some sort of overlay, semi-transparent image...it seems to have "ghosts" in it...

OggieBoogie
04-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Hey CaptFlush!

Nice to c you here! That one is very nice...good light! Keep posting and welcome!

Cheers!

CaptFlushGarden
04-29-2003, 02:27 PM
Thanx for your compliments everyone!

Balusilustalu: Thanx! I'll take it as a comliment, Craig mullins liked the painting too!

Daredevil, It's not a matte painting, just a sketchy image that I did for fun, I used ref for the christ image.
The technique is, well: color>shape>form :buttrock:

Straightmark: sorry man, I don't do 3D, I like to paint in Photoshop :) It would be fun to se it in 3D though eheh.

Friedric P; thank you for your comliments!!

.overflowed : thanx, but I was afraid of overflowing the image with details, so I stopped there. may add details some other time though!

Beobrand: thanx, I was not thinking of who built the cathedral, but ure right, it looks like both ehhehe, oh well.

Thanks everyone else for the compliments and the warm welcome!

/john

Prototype3X
04-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Your art work is very nice and interesting!:buttrock:

KotsVlok
04-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Jezus :D

I love how the sunlight shines so brightly at the end of the painting...ehh you know, up front there :D....my english is not THAT good :shrug:

Great painting :applause:

LaoDong
04-29-2003, 05:17 PM
you have a good sense of colour.Its wonderful!!! I like your art very much.amazing....

4 low
04-29-2003, 06:39 PM
VERY NICE!! you wouldn't mind if I added that to my list of environments to model would you? Giving you credit of course. It would be a while before I could get crankin on it, but I think it would be very fun, and quite challenging to model out. Let me know....

CaptFlushGarden
04-29-2003, 11:16 PM
oh thanx guys.

4 low: be my guest, just glad it inspires you! please remember to show it to me when ure done, I look forward to the day! :beer:

4 low
04-29-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by CaptFlushGarden
oh thanx guys.

4 low: be my guest, just glad it inspires you! please remember to show it to me when ure done, I look forward to the day! :beer:

awesome. thanks. It won't be any time soon, but I'll definitely put it up on here once I get a good start....

cutepixie
04-30-2003, 12:06 AM
:arteest: very memirazing and beautiful color...fabolous job :thumbsup:

KOBALT_KORE
04-30-2003, 12:18 AM
'bout time you started posting here Flush :p

It's beautiful! :buttrock:

SheepFactory
04-30-2003, 12:22 AM
Absolutely amazing!

Welcome to Cg Talk btw :beer:

draconix
04-30-2003, 12:35 AM
Tres cool :D

HapZungLam
04-30-2003, 01:02 AM
i like the way how you show lights. and the dusty feel of the church. I like your techique, but i more like your way of presenting it.

milktea
04-30-2003, 01:04 AM
Coool!:applause:

The Commander
04-30-2003, 01:06 AM
:eek: How. :bowdown:

allseeingi
04-30-2003, 02:25 AM
Oh my God (No pun intended)...please accept this statement as completely genuine: this is the most beautiful piece of artwork I have ever seen on the web, and I've been browsing for a good 8 years (21 yrs old). It honestly took my breath away. Thank you for sharing this with us and I will be having a very good look at your website.

- Mat

goodlag
04-30-2003, 02:28 AM
Beautifull work! I love it:drool:

Angelus26
04-30-2003, 02:41 AM
Very atmospheric, the light is fantastic! Awesome, awesome work!:)

Stahlberg
04-30-2003, 03:46 AM
We've all been looking "a bit too much at Craig Mullins" and we all wish we could get as close as Captain can... Captain is a genius when it comes to realistic, atmospheric but vibrant and painterly environments. I really love this one! How did you do the checkered floor, 3d?

davids
04-30-2003, 03:50 AM
COMPLETELY AMAZING!! IM TOTALLY INSPIRED!

rayz
04-30-2003, 04:28 AM
is this all painting (2d)?

- it looks excellent, and the atmosphere is very calm........ i like it :bounce:

dmeyer
04-30-2003, 04:41 AM
:bowdown:

Digiegg
04-30-2003, 06:20 AM
holy cow!!

Indavisual
04-30-2003, 06:45 AM
That reminds me of something, but i cant quite put my finger on it. I think its a shot from final fantasy 7 or something.

brittnell
04-30-2003, 07:57 AM
Hi CaptFlushGarden,

Excellent work!

I really like the treatment you used, it's like a kind of "digital gouache" painting in the use of semi-opaque overlays. Very cool approach!

If you don't mind a little bit of suggestion, I have a couple of comments...

First, I think you might be able to coax even a bit more drama and atmosphere out of it if you punched up the levels a bit... maybe take the midpoint to about .66?
At the moment, it kind of feels like there's a sort of gray "film" over the whole image... Maybe this was meant to convey a depth of atmosphere, but I think the volumetric lighting does a fine job of this on it's own. Just a thought...

Also, maybe try doing a bit of color adjust to it, pushing the shadows to a deeper black (while still retaining detail), and adding a bit of warmth (-cyan, +yellow and red) to the mid-tones and highlights. I feel like there should be more play into the environment from that shaft of warm sunlight bouncing off the golden altarpiece.

Keep in mind that these are just a couple "hair brained" ideas I had upon first viewing, so feel free to tell me to blow.
I've also had a goodly portion of alcohol (mmm... Sparks!) this evening, which always brings out the evil "Art Director" in me...
;)
I just thought you might be up for some experimenting.

Oh, and I did check out your site.
Damn, that is some SWEET concept work! Awesome robots! It REALLY had me wishing for more!

Cheers, hope you don't take offense to my suggestions, and keep up the excellent work!

b

Pinionist
04-30-2003, 09:25 AM
This looks awesome, and powerfull. What I most like, is that you left some details in some areas, and left paintbrushes to do their job, Great Work!

CaptFlushGarden
04-30-2003, 09:43 AM
oh god so many replies hehehe, I'll only answer those with questions =)

Thanx for the huge compliment Stahlberg. Actually I made a cheked floor texture, that I scewed into place with the transform tool, I used 3 blocks of this texture and scewed each piece a little bit differently to get the feeling of the curved perspective. Its very fast, but doesn't get as good as 3D when it comes to curved surfaces :hmm:

Britnell: thank you very much for your comliments and crits, i totally agree with the grey film thingy problem, actually I must blame my monitor :p , I looked at the pic on other monitors and it just sucks, I looked at your crits and tried to do the things you suggested, I hope I understood them well, here's the retouched image, I hope it looks better now, I think it's closer to what I wanted, really, but I also like the old one because it fells very dusty compared to this one. thanx again m8!

http://www.johnwallin.net/bilder/cathedral3.jpeg

brittnell
04-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Cool!

I'm glad you didn't think I was just talking out my ass (as I'm oft known to do).

Funny, I finally figured out what the pic reminds me of, and it's John Singer Sargent's Venetian interiors series, specifically "Venetian Bead Stringers" (bad image link (http://www.blomberg-art.com/urval2.asp?produkt=Sargent&nextPage=4)).

Something about the hot light breaking into the shadows... (my old instuctor would have said, "chiaroscurro!")

I hope you take that for the huge compliment that it is, as it's some of my all-time favorite work.

Anyhow, I'm glad I was more of a help than a pain, and I can totally relate to the monitor issues (I actually had to spend a couple hours re-calibrating mine earlier today, go figure!).

Cheers,

b

pigbelly
04-30-2003, 11:14 AM
I understand that everyone wants to compare this with Craigís work, but I really donít think one should look at it like that. I donít think you should compare peoples work at all. I donít care if the illustration is a Craig Mullins, Frank Frazetta or whatever great illustrator look-a-like as long as it gives something to the viewer.
Sure there are resemblances but I clearly fell that it breaks away from Craigís work especially in the colours!

Anyway I think Itís a very vibrant piece of illustration, a piece that I think really speaks and gives to itís viewer. J

Iím impressed Capt.FlushGarden, great work man!!

/Tommie
www.pigbelly.com

wgreenlee1
04-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by pigbelly
I understand that everyone wants to compare this with Craigís work, but I really donít think one should look at it like that. I donít think you should compare peoples work at all. I donít care if the illustration is a Craig Mullins, Frank Frazetta or whatever great illustrator look-a-like as long as it gives something to the viewer.
Sure there are resemblances but I clearly fell that it breaks away from Craigís work especially in the colours!

Anyway I think Itís a very vibrant piece of illustration, a piece that I think really speaks and gives to itís viewer. J

Iím impressed Capt.FlushGarden, great work man!!

/Tommie
www.pigbelly.com

I agree...Style Smyle....
This is killer artwork plain and simple.
Thanks for sharing this with us.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

khaleghi
04-30-2003, 01:08 PM
u are so profesional in creatint environmetal scenses:drool:
so power full work:surprised :applause: :bounce: :wip:
and I can`t say anything

liQu1d
04-30-2003, 01:12 PM
awesome atmosphere! i love it! :applause:

Nosalis
04-30-2003, 01:17 PM
It`s amazing. I can not imagine, how can anybody create something like this.

g3n
04-30-2003, 01:50 PM
:eek: best 2d i have seen im quite a while man! took a look at your webpage also... very impressive!

Svensk šr du ocksŚ :)

stephen2002
04-30-2003, 02:28 PM
it looks excellent. I like how you provided just enough detail to groud the cathedral, but left to shady enough in places to leave placement of some elements up to the imagination. Some of the areas look like the cathedral is there, but then again it might not be there. Like a past/present/future all rolled into one image. Some areas look in good condition, some areas look like they might not be there, and some areas look like they might be falling apart. It's a very interesting image, excellent work!

woodwoox
04-30-2003, 07:01 PM
moody scene:thumbsup:

Kid-Mesh
04-30-2003, 08:11 PM
amazing detail... Im floored :thumbsup:

Aeroplane
04-30-2003, 08:15 PM
:surprised ...
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

The Magic Pen
04-30-2003, 08:54 PM
:applause:

ZVAN
04-30-2003, 09:25 PM
wow.. great work.. but why all the things is like invisible?:applause:

lildragon
04-30-2003, 11:40 PM
VEry inspiring work, and I pretty much echo what has been said here. I would also like to know how the tiles were done ;)

Please be sure to enter this into Expose http://www.cgtalk.com/expose you definitely have a chance

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Stunning work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

CaptFlushGarden
05-01-2003, 01:41 AM
Wohoo!! thanx so much for the prize Lildragon!

ZVAN: I don't really understand what you mean with invisible, do you mean that everything looks kinda transparent??

Stephen2002: thank you! I was hoping to be somewhat successful with the detail thingy :)

Aw thanx for those words Pigbelly! I'll buy tou lunch now ;)

Jooel
05-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Hello,
Sorry about mistakes...
Hmmm...i can't say more about your work...great.
My question is how many time do you need for this draw?

bye.

CaptFlushGarden
05-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Jooel: thanx :thumbsup: It took me 3 hours to paint it, I could have spent more time but I skipped the noodling part.

siquier
05-01-2003, 10:55 AM
congratulations I like a lot the coloring
:applause: :applause: :applause:

rip
05-01-2003, 12:58 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown:
OMG°°°°°°
congratualtions°°°

s u p e r i o r

Bomkrasch
05-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Totally excellent!:drool:

shableep
06-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Balusilustalu
Been looking at Craig Mullins' work a bit too close if you ask me.
Nice looking image though.

ey now. nothing wrong with craig mullins stuff. awesome concepts with awesome methods n' insanely realistic lighting.

you talk to yo momma with that mouf? :shame:

oho yah. tha paintings awesome. :beer:

is so crazy how you guys pull off the exact needed lighting in like one stroke o your brush.

tomaya
06-13-2003, 02:51 PM
:bounce: Simply awsome ! i love the light :eek:

madcow
06-17-2003, 02:53 AM
your work is very impressive:applause:

BiTMAP
06-17-2003, 04:03 AM
this image : http://www.johnwallin.net/bilder/larocca.jpg reminded me of a place i saw when i was mountian biking in my cities river valley! of course there was stuff on the other side of the water, and the water was more of a muddy green... lol

dimitrios_c
06-17-2003, 05:56 AM
The lighting really does it for me, of course all the other elements are awesome too! :applause: :drool: :applause: :beer: :cool:

facial
06-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Really nice work. Keep post more. I love your work:thumbsup:

Mefisto
01-16-2005, 08:59 PM
I really like it. :thumbsup:

warthog
01-26-2005, 02:26 AM
cool Chapeal. i like how u brought the light down in fornt of the candles and backgraound lights. It almost looks like its been in a long war were people have stayyed. :thumbsup:

R3desiGN
03-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Simply amazing...

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2005, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.