PDA

View Full Version : So who is going?

kOsMos3D
02-02-2008, 03:09 PM
So who's going to Siggraph this year? :)

malducin
02-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm going.

diginime
02-02-2008, 05:12 PM
i might go...but not sure yet..

Intervain
02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
would love to - time will tell :)

Antropus
02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm going, almost sure.

I meet you there Mag!!

-Kris

Titus
02-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm going.

I'm going too ;).

Revliss
02-03-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm going but is Siggraph Asia in Singapore.

aqua9
02-03-2008, 04:42 AM
where is it going to be ?????????
in LA ????

or in Asia ?????
if in Asia , which place????

ShadowM8
02-03-2008, 05:45 AM
I'm almost certain that I'll be there this year!

DimaDavid
02-03-2008, 08:17 AM
i want to go and 99.99% that i will

Xinguette
02-03-2008, 12:25 PM
come to russia! pleaaase:cry::cry:

malducin
02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm going too ;).

Hehe, I guess the usual arrangements are in order as soon as possible.

where is it going to be ????????? in LA ???? or in Asia ????? if in Asia , which place????

Starting this year, there will be 2 SIGGRAPHs. The regular one will be in Los Angeles this year. The new one is SIGGRAPH Asia, which will take place in Singapore. Take your pick.

SIGGRAPH 2008 (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/)
SIGGRAPH Asia 2008 (http://www.siggraph.org/asia2008/)

The big one of course is the one in North America.

come to russia! pleaaase

Well SIGGRAPH is a North American organization (even if membership is global), so that's why the conference takes polace in North America. But there are several other conferences that take place in Europe, like Imagina, Eurographics and others.

DDS
02-03-2008, 05:52 PM
too far hence too expensive :shrug:

noouch
02-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I might go, haven't been to California for a while, just wondering if it's worth the money and the twelve-hour flight...

Goddardl
02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Hello to you all!
It is about time that this lurker stuck his head above the trenches!
I have posted a few times for critism but not for a long while.

Since then I have developed an interest in rendering principles and have been developing an origional graphics card to accelerate a renderMan production environment.

As a result, I am hoping to go also and will be submitting my research paper in a few weeks with the hopes of presenting my work.

It would be a great oppertunity and it would be nice to put some faces to the kind people here on the forum!

Luke

MasterZap
02-04-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm going.

Why am I not surprised? ;)

Teaching a mental ray master class this year again, and maybe an actual SigGraph course, so yeah, I'm totally there. ;)

/Z

alexpaiva
02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm going. =P

kOsMos3D
02-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Looks like a lot of people are not sure if they are going cuz of the cost, yeah I know it can get pretty expensive especially if you have to take a plane to LA.

I am in Toronto, Canada and since this event is in August then I have plenty of time to save up and I will try my best to go, it would be fun and it would be cool to meet other cg talkers too. :)

Here is the link to the Registration Fees http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/attendees/registration/

Houkah
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Trying to decide between Siggraph and Adapt. Adapt looks a lot more focused. Also i've been to montreal and LA... and if it's between the 2 i'll take montreal any day. I'm not a huge fan of LA.

swardson
02-06-2008, 11:44 AM
I was really hoping to go but,!

Why is it so late this year (mid August instead of Late July like it usually is)

Unfortunately The first day of Siggraph is also my oldest boys first day of kindergarten. :sad:

Why do they make me choose!

-disgruntled CGist

RobertoOrtiz
02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Ill be there for sure.

malducin
02-06-2008, 04:27 PM
As a result, I am hoping to go also and will be submitting my research paper in a few weeks with the hopes of presenting my work.

The deadline for technical papers submission passed about a week ago. You could still submit it for an informal forum or as a poster.

Why am I not surprised? ;)

Just remind me not to drink sake on an empty stomach, hehe. See you there...

Here is the link to the Registration Fees

Just to clarify, those are the fees for last year, as this year's fees haven't been finalized. So they might be a bit higher. Now one hopes they'll stay the same since the rent in LA is cheap and the attendance is higher so they might not need to raise them this year.

Why is it so late this year (mid August instead of Late July like it usually is)

I talked to one of the 2008 Chairs last year and he mentioned the LA Convention Center wasn't available the first week of August 2008. Although even the chairs seemed a bit confused with all the changes to the program this year. Anyhow about half the conferences have been during the first week of August, it's only under special circumstances if they move it to the second week of August or the third week of July. Good news is that 2010 in New Orleans will be 1st week of August.

To me the more interesting aspect is why has the conference moved now from Monday to Friday. I asked around a no one had any clear explanation. Now it's a real dilema making travel plans.

FUG1T1VE
02-06-2008, 11:44 PM
yeah its party time.

Im going.:)

visualz
02-07-2008, 03:34 AM
i'll be there doing a class on 3ds Max and Composting with Toxik and Combustion.

//gD

Titus
02-07-2008, 05:34 AM
And I'll be there teaching... how to eat for free :D.

marciowski
02-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm going. =P

Are you really sure, bigboy?

Strang
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM
when Siggraph is in LA i am ecstatic i dont have to worry about housing!

admemento
02-08-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm planning on flying over to LA this year, as I couldn't make it last time. =] I just hope I'm not going to get lost there...

nemirc
02-08-2008, 01:39 AM
there's no chance I am missing it this year!
only death can force me not to go, lol :twisted:

new2LW
02-08-2008, 02:27 PM
maybe, havn't decided for sure. Would be my 3rd time, last year was pretty fun.

arvid
02-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Last year was a blast! I'd love to go again, hopefully I will :cool:

RobW720
02-08-2008, 07:43 PM
heh, well... the girlfriend and I would love to go, but we are getting married on august 30th and i suspect we will take a honeymoon afterwards.

i dont think we can afford 2ish weeks of vacation within less than a month of each other :-D

so unless our places of employment send us, probably not gonna happen this year, which stinks. I loved the one in LA last time.

we will see what happens between now and then.

Garibaldi
02-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Decided after last year that I doubt I'll go to another Siggraph. I was exhausted and bored for the entire time I was there. And it cost me half a months wages, for a 4 day trip.

xtrm3d
02-10-2008, 09:30 PM
would be there ,
did have a blast last year in san diego ..
and look forward for this one :-)

nguyetvn
02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
SIGGRAPH comes to Singapore this year, so excited!!!
I'm going to skip my lectures to go

mirak3d
02-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi everybody!
Have a nice trip there! ;)

CGOrange
02-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey,
Sounds great, I've never been to LA before and San Diego last year was so great. Perfect weather and great food, yeah, and Siggraph was great too. =) Though, I enjoyed the one in Boston more, maybe because it was my first one, and I missed a lot of the parties in SD.. and the Air Craft carrier was horrible! Only because I got stuck on the top level for over an hour when all my friends were down stairs.. grrr... :)

Intervain
02-14-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm going, almost sure.

I meet you there Mag!!

-Kris

Hehe :buttrock:

samsonwong
02-14-2008, 05:47 PM
It depends, I would really like to go if time is allowed
Can't wait till August !

StupidX
02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
If there are two then one should lead to the web page of Los Angeles. Does anybody knows how to get to the web page for the Los Angeles Siggraph? I'm going to be a SV for the first time.

malducin
02-15-2008, 01:49 PM
If there are two then one should lead to the web page of Los Angeles. Does anybody knows how to get to the web page for the Los Angeles Siggraph? I'm going to be a SV for the first time.

SIGGRAPH 2008 (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/)

The main SIGGRAPH page has links to both anyway.

StupidX
02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Arigatou!!

arvid
02-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Decided after last year that I doubt I'll go to another Siggraph. I was exhausted and bored for the entire time I was there. And it cost me half a months wages, for a 4 day trip.
I'd probably have a hard time concentrating too, if I had to pay for the trip myself :D
Seriously though, I thought the special sessions were great! It would be pretty useless without a full conference pass though.

entrancea
02-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Well I think I'll be going there....So this question is for the guys who have been there....The hotels that Siggraph gives,whats their price and where are they located...last time I had been to LA is I guess around 10 years back so hardly remember anything....But could some one fill me up as to what different facilities and workshops and all do we get with a full conference pass....whether the workshops are included with the conference pass,or do we have to pay for the workshops...the parties and all,basically the whole deal...:D ....

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Entrancea

aglick
02-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm sure I'll be out there.

I know it's early still, but I'm hoping I will be able to the "CGTALK Meetup" this year if there is one -I got delayed wiring the booth together last year. Doh!

aglick
02-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Well I think I'll be going there....So this question is for the guys who have been there....The hotels that Siggraph gives,whats their price and where are they located...last time I had been to LA is I guess around 10 years back so hardly remember anything....But could some one fill me up as to what different facilities and workshops and all do we get with a full conference pass....whether the workshops are included with the conference pass,or do we have to pay for the workshops...the parties and all,basically the whole deal...:D ....

Right, so you can find hotels fairly close to the LACC for $100-$150/night. Maybe a little less if you look.

The place to read about the conference sessions & events and to formulate your "SIGGRAPH plan" is the actual website. http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/

You will probably want to invest in one of the conference passes -whcih includes a pass to the EXPO show floor.

Don't get me wrong, the show is great & cool but like the people say, the REAL education & value of SIGGRAPH happens at the conference sessions.

oh, party? did someone say...party? I heard something about a party.

;)

entrancea
02-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Allright Man.....Thanks a lot for the info.....so I guess getting a conference pass which I think is about $850/- and that would give me access to all the goodies right....Now hows about the hotels that Siggy organises?Are they of the same rate?And also could someone tell me how long it takes to go to Houston from LA?Cause I plan to take a little visit there after Siggy.....

Party....:drool:......:bounce:.......:applause:......

He he.....
Regards,
Entrancea

malducin
02-17-2008, 11:07 PM
The hotels that Siggraph gives,whats their price and where are they located... Now hows about the hotels that Siggy organises?Are they of the same rate?

You can get SIGGRAPH hotels about the same price range Adam quoted. Sometimes there are a few even cheaper. And if you share a room it's even better.

As far as location SIGGRAPH divides the hotel in two broad categories: those downtown and those outside downtown. Several of the downtown one are withing walking distance from the convention center, others might be walkable but a bit of a hike (Little Tokyo or by the Civic Center). Those outside downtown you'll have to take the shuttle (or bus or Metro). The ones outside downtown tend to cluster in certain areas but it varies by year (for example by Pasadena in 97, or by USC, etc.)

And also could someone tell me how long it takes to go to Houston from LA?Cause I plan to take a little visit there after Siggy.....

Non-stop by plane is about 3 hours.

the parties and all,basically the whole deal

Parties are free for the most part but for most you have to sign up. There are 2 SIGGRAPH parties, the official reception only available to Full Conference attendees, and the Chapters party open to all. For the user group parties (Alias, Softimage, SIdeFX, etc.) and other shindigs, they're free but you have to sign up for them.

Garibaldi
02-18-2008, 12:26 AM
I'd probably have a hard time concentrating too, if I had to pay for the trip myself :D
Seriously though, I thought the special sessions were great! It would be pretty useless without a full conference pass though.

Maybe, but that was just another 900 dollars I just couldn't afford to spend, especially as my job was supposed to be ending a week after I got back.

entrancea
02-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the info dudes.....So when does the onlline registratiion start from?

malducin
02-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the info dudes.....So when does the onlline registratiion start from?

Starts March 1st. Unless there's a delay for a few days (because of the new format). Usually by this time the Course listings should already be available, but I guess all diferent this year now.

entrancea
02-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Also like say when I arrive at the airport then will there be someone to receive me if I stay in the Siggraph Hotel?

malducin
02-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Also like say when I arrive at the airport then will there be someone to receive me if I stay in the Siggraph Hotel?

No, but just take a shuttle to the hotel (say Super Shuttle), or a cab if you're in a hurry. Shuttles are probably the most convenient way to get to your hotel.

omega3d
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I am going to definitely be there! Located in Orange county, so its only a small commute for me. Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Peace out!

morphius-ms
02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
I plan on going and will probably be able to unless something happens... last year was a blast and I am sure this year is going to be one too...

entrancea
02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey Guys....Got a question again....When I get a Full Conference Pass does that mean I get access to all the Workshops and MasterClasses and parties and all?Just buggin u guys again....Very excited to go this year.....

Regards,
Entrancea

iliketrees
02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Yup pretty much. Parties may be taking it a little far but u'll have access to all events/venues with 'all you can eat' buffets for free yum yum foooood. Kinda wish I was going this year but I'll just have to put up with being in the land of Oz catching some major surf, woo!

malducin
02-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Hey Guys....Got a question again....When I get a Full Conference Pass does that mean I get access to all the Workshops and MasterClasses and parties and all?Just buggin u guys again....Very excited to go this year.....

No, you only get access to all the official SIGGRAPH events. Broadly speaking there are two things going on: the official SIGGRAPH events (those listed in the website) and those events happening around SIGGRAPH (mainly the user group meetings).

So the Full Conference Pass will give you access to all official SIGGRAPH venues including the classes, Papers, the animation festival, the official reception, the exhibition floor, the art expo, etc.

Things like the Autodesk MasterClasses, other vendor specific classes and events are handled completely separately. Some are free (user group meeting and parties, you just have to sign up) and others have fees (most vendor classes).

entrancea
02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
So like Will Allan Mckays class free or do I have to pay a fee?

malducin
02-20-2008, 06:25 PM
So like Will Allan Mckays class free or do I have to pay a fee?

You'll probably have to pay since it will be given by Autdesk, not SIGGRAPH.

Some vendors have free classes (including Autodesk) but they're mostly introductory ones.

entrancea
02-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Ummm....Could you tell me as to how much is charged for these MasterClasses?

malducin
02-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Ummm....Could you tell me as to how much is charged for these MasterClasses?

Here are the prices listed for last year:

Autodesk 2007 MasterClasses (http://www.autodesk.com/mini-sites/siggraph2007/classes.html)

entrancea
02-21-2008, 01:28 AM
So I was seeing in the link that there are the Two session Plan and the five one...So does that mean that I get access to 2 master classes with the 2 session plan and 5 for the 5 session one?Cause All I wanted to attend was Allan's class and Brandons Class on Fire and Water respectively...

malducin
02-21-2008, 04:46 AM
So I was seeing in the link that there are the Two session Plan and the five one...So does that mean that I get access to 2 master classes with the 2 session plan and 5 for the 5 session one?Cause All I wanted to attend was Allan's class and Brandons Class on Fire and Water respectively...

Yes, although you should wait till Autodesk announces their price structure for masterclasses later this year.

we3du
02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
This is going to be my first time attending and I can't wait!

MasterZap
02-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes, although you should wait till Autodesk announces their price structure for masterclasses later this year.

Some scheule and price (http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/masterclass/event2/2008_siggraph_masterclasses/) info is up, as far as I understand...

/Z

Bonedaddy
02-24-2008, 12:36 AM
I'll probably truck on down.

Hell, I may be presenting something, for all I know.

Houcem
02-24-2008, 10:41 PM
hmm, there is a demo of this version? i want try and have a look

jdrouse
02-29-2008, 02:08 AM
man. i'm already pumped. see you all there!

SynapticGraphics
02-29-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm planning to be there also.. though not looking forward to LA in the summer.. *ugh*

Don't forget US based ppl.. the Bush economic stimulus checks should be arriving shortly before its time to fly to SigGraph

desireeluv1
03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm going, yay me. First time there, so I hope to enjoy it.

Serith
03-02-2008, 05:38 AM
It will be hard to top the Autodesk party on the U.S.S. Midway from last year, but I'm looking forward to this year! :)

Titus
03-02-2008, 10:16 PM
It will be hard to top the Autodesk party on the U.S.S. Midway from last year, but I'm looking forward to this year! :)

There has been a lot o great parties before, like when they closed Universal Studios or Disney for the Chapters parties.

Serith
03-03-2008, 05:59 AM
There has been a lot o great parties before, like when they closed Universal Studios or Disney for the Chapters parties.
Wow, that's amazing, I didn't know they did such things. 2007 was my first SIGGRAPH experience. (I'm such a noob...) ;)

aqua9
03-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Hey i think i'll be going to the event in LA .......... :thumbsup:

coz i just got my VISA to the USA to study in Gnomon :bounce:

hope to c u all guys there :buttrock:

Didine
03-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I am going too :thumbsup:

WACOMalt
03-06-2008, 04:21 AM
I am, as a student volunteer if I get accepted.

soulassassin138
03-06-2008, 04:36 AM
I plan on going sometimes after I finish school. So hopefully next year.

loran
03-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I ll be there too

Jaaaaaay
03-07-2008, 06:49 AM
I wanna going, but not sure.

Maybe Singapore is a better choice for me.

beetz15s
03-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Im attending. My teacher said they have contacted him about my volunteer aplication. So im waiting to see wat happens.

thepineman
03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
i really like to go but.......

Mekanismo
03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I'll be there. I went last year for the first time... well, worth it.

DarkEdge
03-13-2008, 02:06 AM
I have an opportunity and don't think I should pass this up. My son has offered to send me...wheeeeee! :)
I'm a part time freelancer but am getting more and more involved. He told me that there are different levels of seminars to attend??? I'm seeing some seminars but not different levels, any ideas there? Will there be more seminars coming out as the date gets closer?
Any help would be appreciated.

desireeluv1
03-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Being this is my first time going, are there a lot of students that attend?

malducin
03-13-2008, 04:08 PM
He told me that there are different levels of seminars to attend??? I'm seeing some seminars but not different levels, any ideas there? Will there be more seminars coming out as the date gets closer?

There are no seminars or anything (beside BOFs) that are listed yet. The full schedule will appear around April. Since this year the SIGGRAPH program is being revamped, tak the following with a little bit of salt.

For registration purposes, there are 3 levels. Depending on the one you choose it determines what venues you can attend.

The only major venue which had different levels were the Courses. The SIGGRAPH comittee would clasify classes in 3 levels: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. Beginner included things like an intro to SIGGRAPH and CG. THe Advanced courses are usually very technical. Check the site of a previous SIGGRAPH (http://www.siggraph.org/s2007/attendees/courses/) to get an idea.

Besides that there are no classifications for all the other events.

Being this is my first time going, are there a lot of students that attend?

Yes

DarkEdge
03-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the assist Malducin!

Gamato
03-29-2008, 03:27 AM
Is it worth going, even if you're a beginner at cg?

cause i want to get better, but i have a feeling this is more for the advanced.

Titus
03-29-2008, 05:35 AM

There's stuff for everyone, try to go if you can afford it.

omega3d
03-30-2008, 01:10 AM

If your serious about CG, this is definately a place to go. You meet many people that you want to meet, and some you don't want to meet haha.

On a lighter note, anyone know how to get into Autodesk party without being 21? haha

malducin
03-30-2008, 04:31 AM
On a lighter note, anyone know how to get into Autodesk party without being 21? haha

Well students could write to Autodesk and ask for the party to be non-alcohol. Though I guess the over 21 crowd won't be too happy :-P.

omega3d
03-31-2008, 01:32 AM
haha, ya seriuosly. but we can choose a substitute. like cranberries. hahaha

Titus
03-31-2008, 02:14 AM
Though I guess the over 21 crowd won't be too happy :-P.

You can't drink more than one shot on those parties, the bar is always full.

taz98spin
04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I'll be going as well.

Never been to a SIGGRAPH event, so not sure what to expect! :)

snovak
04-13-2008, 05:36 PM
where is it going to be ?????????
in LA ????

or in Asia ?????
if in Asia , which place????

There will be two SIGGRAPH conferences this year.. one in LA,, one in Asia. I believe the Asian convention will be in Singapore.

snovak
04-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Awesome! I know you'll have an awesome time. I've worked with several Student Volunteers in the past. In the process of working at the conference, I know many have made life long friends around the world. And, the SV community seems to stick together. So, there is always something going on... things to do and see.. people to meet.. It's an adventure for sure. Enjoy!

The conference site is here http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/

As for a particular website on LA ie. places to see, parties, etc.. I don't know of any off hand. But, LA isn't like San Diego or Boston where the city is a source of all night long parties, bars, etc. Other than SIGGRAPH related parties, the city shuts down at around 8pm. I haven't been to LA since the last conference in '05 so things may have changed.. But I doubt it. The best way to have a good time after the conference closes it's doors for the night is to find a party to go to. Getting into some of the parties is a mission in itself. That's why making connections has it's benefits.. And, that is what SIGGRAPH is all about... making connections. But no worries, there is never a shortage of that.

And the Chapters have you covered for one night. The night of the Chapters party! You're on your own otherwise. ;) I know Alias,, oh,, i'm sorry.. Autodesk has a pretty big party also. But, I've never been to it because it usually conflicts with the Chapters party.

malducin
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
As for a particular website on LA ie. places to see, parties, etc.. I don't know of any off hand. But, LA isn't like San Diego or Boston where the city is a source of all night long parties, bars, etc. Other than SIGGRAPH related parties, the city shuts down at around 8pm. I haven't been to LA since the last conference in '05 so things may have changed.. But I doubt it. The best way to have a good time after the conference closes it's doors for the night is to find a party to go to. Getting into some of the parties is a mission in itself. That's why making connections has it's benefits.. And, that is what SIGGRAPH is all about... making connections. But no worries, there is never a shortage of that. And the Chapters have you covered for one night. The night of the Chapters party! You're on your own otherwise. ;) I know Alias,, oh,, i'm sorry.. Autodesk has a pretty big party also. But, I've never been to it because it usually conflicts with the Chapters party.

Well more specifically it's downtown that mostly shuts down after 8pm, since its mostly offices and retail business. There are other places to go afterwards but you would probably need a car or find places around Metro stations (Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc.). But the SIGGRAPH parties more than make up for the boring nights downtown most of the time.

odiato
04-16-2008, 02:37 AM
I already registered and gotmy room. It's nice. Now, I'm trying to decide if I should go for some MasterClasses.

What I would really like to do is get the Maya Educator Certification.

That would be the best.

Maph
04-17-2008, 07:19 AM
I'll be there this year as well.
First time Siggraph and first time L.A. (heck, even the first time I'll be in the U.S.).
This ought to be a blast. :cool::beer:

nicgrootbluemink
04-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I applied for the Student Volunteer thing, but alas, no luck. Fraid I'll be sitting out :(

-weeps-

Intervain
04-18-2008, 02:39 PM
well looks like I'll finally make it :) yay!

mordecaidesign
04-18-2008, 03:56 PM
:beer: As of this morning (I bought my ticket today), I am attending Siggraph '08. *Does a happy dance*

Can't wait to see you all there.

On a side note: there are only 3 months, 25 days left until Siggraph. SO GET WORKING ON THOSE REELS!

taz98spin
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
What time does Siggraph end on Friday?

Is there a schedule to look at?

Titus
04-21-2008, 03:57 PM
It usually ends by 5:00 p.m.

taz98spin
04-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks for letting me know! :)

slange64
04-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I will probably go. I haven't gone the last few years becuase of a yearly scheduling conflict but it looks like I can go this year cause my other commitment ends two days before the 10th of August.

piajartist
04-27-2008, 01:25 AM
I'll be in la la land ....

who else will be coming from the academy of art to represent??

rafiki
05-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm new in the country as an International Student, I'll be there in the volunteer student program! Nice to Join you in this site!

artislife7
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I was planning on going this year because I've never been to Siggraph and would really love it! Plans didn't work out though. -sigh-... Next year I must! Hmm.. might even move to Ca next year to find a new job. Hope Everyone who's going has so much FUN!

Keiphus
05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
I was planning on going this year because I've never been to Siggraph and would really love it! Plans didn't work out though. -sigh-... Next year I must! Hmm.. might even move to Ca next year to find a new job. Hope Everyone who's going has so much FUN!

Moving won't do you much good, 2009 will be in NOLA! ;)

malducin
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Moving won't do you much good, 2009 will be in NOLA! ;)

Well if he gets a job in LA he might be able to afford SIGGRAPH in 2009 ;-).

artislife7
05-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Hmm.. NOLA? I think thats in Italy? That stinks. They'll come back to Ca tho. They betta! haha.

malducin
05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Hmm.. NOLA? I think thats in Italy? That stinks. They'll come back to Ca tho. They betta! haha.

That's New Orleans, Louisiana. 2010 goes back to Los Angeles, 2011 to Vancouver and 2012 should go back to the West Coast.

AdaleRene
05-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm going but I still can't believe it...I convinced my job it was needed..which it will help so much...I'm really excited about it...It'll be my second time...the first time changed my hole outlook on computer animation... I'm bringing a friend too, he couldn't go last time so this will help him out a lot...being in Texas you need stuff like this to stay up to date.

CGSisdead
05-10-2008, 06:50 PM
I will also be there.
Our animated short "Chump and Clump" has been nominated for the Jury award :cool:

Chump and Clump (http://www.chumpandclump.com)

kakashi82
05-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi people:

I was lucky and got the student volunteer thingy at Siggraph LA and plan to go with some friends. The thing is I've seen the hotelmap downloadable pdf file and was thinking if I could get something cheaper from other places like USC or metro and still get convenient shuttle service to LA convention center.. any opinions from anyone who's been there?

malducin
05-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I will also be there. Our animated short "Chump and Clump" has been nominated for the Jury award :cool:

Wow congratulations. Now that there is no electronic Theatre, hopefully it'll be easy to catch.

I was lucky and got the student volunteer thingy at Siggraph LA and plan to go with some friends. The thing is I've seen the hotelmap downloadable pdf file and was thinking if I could get something cheaper from other places like USC or metro and still get convenient shuttle service to LA convention center.. any opinions from anyone who's been there?

As far as getting something cheaper, you probably can. Start looking since Summer season is fast approaching.

The convenient thing about the SIGGRAPH hotels is that you get a cheaper rate, and the shuttle service if you book one of the farther hotels. But several hotels are walking distance though those get booked pretty fast, I don't think you'll find much in the official ones.

There's no Metro station right next to the convention center, though there are a few stops downtown. The closest one would be the 7th Street/Metro Center which you can reach from the Red, Purple and Blue lines. From there is about a 10-15 min walk to the Convention Center. Check this:

LA Metro (http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/default.htm)

For other places like USC the only options would be to rent a car or take the bus. It's doable, my first SIGGRAPH I had to take the bus to/from Venice :-P. So better take into acount the time you might waste each day in transportation.

kakashi82
05-11-2008, 09:51 AM
wowowowow , thanks a lot, that's what i needed. i am soooo excited haha

RockinAkin
05-12-2008, 09:15 PM
I should be there. Year 5 for me. :)

When the hell are they releasing the course list?

malducin
05-13-2008, 12:13 AM
When the hell are they releasing the course list?

They already did about 2months ago. They were renamed classes:

SIGGRAPH 2008 Classes (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/attendees/classes/)

The bigger problem is that they're almost 2 weeks overdue on posting the schedule (even a basic one).

Maph
05-13-2008, 07:56 AM
I thought that isn't the full list of classes? On the page it says the full classes list and schedules will be posted in may. ;)
Or am I going that blind. :surprised

Still looking forward to Siggraph though. :beer:

MasterZap
05-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Now that there is no electronic Theatre

What!?!

That's always been like the "main event" for me! (Although it often infringed temporally on important party time)

/Z

malducin
05-13-2008, 05:03 PM
I thought that isn't the full list of classes? On the page it says the full classes list and schedules will be posted in may. ;) Or am I going that blind. :surprised

My first thought was that it was a partial list of classes, but now I think that's all the classes there are going to be. Notice how they are already assigned times and room numbers. For the other things (like production sessions and roundtables) yeah they do look incomplete. Still, here's hoping that I'm wrong about the classes listing.

I see they have amended all those pages to now say it's going to be till May (at the rate things are going looks like it'll be at the end of the mnth though). But the page abut important dates still mentions the full schedule was supposed to be up in April :-P. I only wished the comittee to at least have released a basic schedule already, say are the classes going to be Mon-Thu, when are Talks, Production Sessions, Papers, etc going to take place, etc. Is SIGGRAPH ending around 3:30 on Friday? (I can't really plan my airplane ticket without that tiny piece of info).

What!?! That's always been like the "main event" for me! (Although it often infringed temporally on important party time)

Yeah tey turned it into a regular film festival with no Electronic Theatre. I know there was going to be changes but it came as a shock when I was registering as there was no step to choose an ET ticket (for Full Conference atendees). Worse, at least part of the new format s going to be held at newly built Nokia Theatre just across Staples Center. So that means you'll at least have to walk out f the Convention Center to watch at least part of the Animation Festival. I bet ya that all the high profile animations (like the ones already selected as finalists for awards) will only be shown there. Maybe all of the animation festival.

There are many unresolved issues. Are there going to be shows afterhours for us people that spend most of the day in the conference? Therer are no more animation theatres either. While our esteemed moderator seems to think the looping format of the animator theatres was not great I disagree. That meant that we had the flexibility of going to the theatres and at least having something playing that I hadn't caught before (especially those years when there were 4 animation theatres, now with 2 in recent years it's a tad more difficult). So it's turning out to be a year where I might miss most of the animation festival. I do hope I'm wrong. Maybe it's a way to boost DVD sales ;-).

I also looked foward to ET which always happened after conference hours (I usually missed the Softimage party but sometimes I would get at the end of it anyways).

Youpi
05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
I'll be at Siggraph too ! :cool:

And I'm impatient to be there. It'll be my fifth!

My first was 1995 LA, with best lightwave events ever (wavy's award) and first Alpha workstation, and also 3DS Max 1.0, and there was also 1st 3D feature film: Toy Story by Pixar! What a 1st!! :thumbsup:

Then 1998 Orlondo, with firsts HDR and IBL by Paul Debevec, and nightclub near inside convention center! And then 2006 Boston and 2007 San Diego.

So, Back to LA! I'm sure things have changed a lot in 13 years :-)

So many changes this year! I'm disappointed there is no Electronic Theatre. I’ll really miss it a lot. I think the interactive drawing game and 4k projector were wonderful experiences at Boston. Yes, I’ll really miss that!

I miss also the PDF advanced program. I hope it will be available soon, as I don’t want spend first hours to choose what I’ll do during Siggraph. And it would answer to most of questions asked here, like at what time Siggraph finished…

Siggraph 2008 appears very different from past ones. I’m a little afraid to do not find what I came for before. But, Snovak, I totally agree with you: ‘what SIGGRAPH is all about... making connections’, and mostly that’s what is important, and I know I’ll not be disappointed!

No news about parties yet?

Is there a CGtalk party, like last year? It was really nice to meet so nice people and to share Demos and experiences. (I hope this time beers will stay away from laptop…). :beer:

About Hotel: For budget reasons, I’ll never be in one of the Siggraph hotel, and usually, I was in a cheap motel / hotel at about 15 or 20 minutes to convention center by car. I have to pay about 20$ car park by day (10$ day at CC, 10$ night near parties). It was never a problem and my car was often the ‘last taxi available’ when late night siggraph shuttle was over.
But this year, LA is really bigger than San Diego or Boston…

I wish to all of you a wonderful time and I’m impatient to see you at LA!

aglick
05-13-2008, 09:38 PM
"...No news about parties yet?..."

We're gonna drop da BOMB this year, yo

malducin
05-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Finally SIGGRAPH posted a preliminary schedule. It'll end 5:30pm pn Friday:

SIGGRAPH 2008 Schedule (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/attendees/schedule/)

Maph
05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Cool! And now for a detailed list on the actual classes schedules, and yours truly will be happy. :)

I can't help but feeling intrigued about the 'geek bar' though. :beer::cool:

EricDLegare
05-26-2008, 05:26 PM
I will be there too ^_^ 76 Days Left :P

stooch
05-28-2008, 04:56 AM
i will be there, presenting :)

weng888
05-30-2008, 01:52 AM
ill be going

mcernusca
05-30-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm going! :beer:

dpendzich
05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
I want to go so badly, but I'm not sure I can make the long trip :(

SpaceRabbit
05-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Woot, looks like I'll get to make it this year. Two years in a row, a first for me. 94, 98, 2007 and now 2008. Good Times! Has there been any talk of a cgtalk mixer yet?

malducin
05-30-2008, 03:11 PM
I want to go so badly, but I'm not sure I can make the long trip :(

Well it's just about 6 hours driving to Los Angeles from San Jose. Sounds like roadtrip! :-P

Has there been any talk of a cgtalk mixer yet?

Not yet but everything seems to be getting done later for this year's SIGGRAPH. I think the best bet would be to start a new thread on the subject and start having some input. Usually Roberto gets th ball rolling on this. I think last time in LA it was lunch at some restaurant (didn't make it myself because I was attending a course). I rather see something like last year which was a get together at the restaurant/bar of a hotel at night the first day of SIGGRAPH (less conflict with parties during the rest of the week).

---edit---

Here's a list of places downtown, for when people start thinking about a CGTalk meetup:

Downtown LA Guide (http://losangeles.citysearch.com/roundup/39781)
Restaurant Guide (http://www.downtown.la/sgps/sgsearch.cfm?SGID=1&mincat=176)
Dining Guide (http://los.angeles.diningguide.com/dl1dt.htm)
Dining Guide 2 (http://www.ladowntownnews.com/dining_guide/)

LeeGriggs
06-03-2008, 12:11 AM
I hope to get down there and do a bit of job hunting. Will be fifth time for me. Looking forward to it.

Jochemdb
06-04-2008, 07:34 AM
This year I'll join Siggraph for the first time - I'm very much looking forward to it!

evavfx
06-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Yup! I'll be there as a Student Volunteer... see you guys there. ^__^ :)

AIR
06-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Im coming to Siggraph, and this is my second, first time was Boston.

Anyway,, is Cgtalk organising somekind Cg members gettogether, or something,
Id really like to meet people , friends, to get to know them beyound their avatars :)
Hopefully, we will be:beer:

Seeya!!

jeremybirn
06-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Im coming to Siggraph, and this is my second, first time was Boston.

Anyway,, is Cgtalk organising somekind Cg members gettogether, or something,
Id really like to meet people , friends, to get to know them beyound their avatars :)
Hopefully, we will be:beer:

Seeya!!

I don't know yet. In the past, the Bonaventure Brewing Company in the Westin Bonaventure has been a good location for meet-up events when in LA, and in the past Sunday evening before most things start has been a good time. You might start a new thread about an un-official CGtalk meet-up. Be sure to stress that it is un-official, not sponsored by cgsociety itself.

-jeremy

PaulHellard
06-08-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't know yet. ..... You might start a new thread about an un-official CGtalk meet-up. Be sure to stress that it is un-official, not sponsored by cgsociety itself.
-jeremy

Thats right Jeremy,

As you say, any meetup for CGTalkers will be un-official, unsponsored by CGSociety and will be probably best organised by a local in any case. I'll be straight off a plane from Australia, but will come on down. It'll be great to see everyone.

Bonedaddy
06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't know yet. In the past, the Bonaventure Brewing Company in the Westin Bonaventure has been a good location for meet-up events when in LA, and in the past Sunday evening before most things start has been a good time. You might start a new thread about an un-official CGtalk meet-up. Be sure to stress that it is un-official, not sponsored by cgsociety itself.

-jeremy

I can probably do this. I know the area pretty well. All the stuff I wrote a couple years ago, in terms of buses and whatnot, probably hold true. Provided I'm able to get out of work for those days...

mummey
06-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Well it's just about 6 hours driving to Los Angeles from San Jose. Sounds like roadtrip! :-P

or just take CalTrain to Union Station. For San Diego last year I rode Amtrak from LA, and was glad I did.

jeremybirn
06-09-2008, 02:26 AM
or just take CalTrain to Union Station. For San Diego last year I rode Amtrak from LA, and was glad I did.

I checked an Amtrak schedule and it was going to take 11 hours to get from the Bay area to LA, when driving only takes 5 or 6 hours. Then I figure that a lot of LA is only accessible if you have a car, and driving down brings your car with you. I'll be driving.

-jeremy

LucasMartell
06-10-2008, 06:40 AM
I'll be there as well!

CaptainObvious
06-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I'll probably be there.

devank
06-12-2008, 03:50 AM
I am going as well.
It's my first time so really excited about it.
It'd be great if we manage to get the meet-up thing going.
Looking forward to meet you all!

nmcelmury
06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Just finally got registered and my flights booked! This will be my first conference as well, should be a blast. Hope to see everyone there :)

rAT--mAN
07-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Also just registered, really excited to see all of the additional stuff that siggraph has to offer, as i only got the exhibit only pass last year. Looking forward to a cgtalk meetup!!

splintercannon
07-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm going. Coming all the way from freakin' Cleveland, OH.

DarkEdge
07-07-2008, 02:49 AM
Yes, I'm also looking forward to meeting up with some of you peps!

polyoptix
07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
I'll be there as well,
I was wondering is there a CG Talk user group or Birds of a feather
meeting, anththing like that?

Fess
07-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Hello,

I was fortunate enough to be a student volunteer for Autodesk this year.

But.......do I still need to "register" for siggraph?

Any info is appreciated.

-Fess

malducin
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Hello, I was fortunate enough to be a student volunteer for Autodesk this year. But.......do I still need to "register" for siggraph? Any info is appreciated.

Why not ask Autodesk? From the sounds of it I would guess you would only have access to the Exhibition Flooor and to their user group meeting. I doubt Autodesk would offer a regular (even a basic) SIGGRAPH registration to students but who knows. You might still need to register for SIGGRAPH if you're interested in seeing more things.

overcontrast
07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
yeah a CGtalk hangout place would be awesome...

P.S. I'm so going to SIGGRAPH this year!

ShotgunFungus
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
TSNStudios will be at SIGGRAPH 2008!

Join us in Los Angeles in August for the highest quality, most timely educational experiences the community has to offer, presented by the most powerful and most engaging leaders in computer graphics and interactive techniques.

We won't have a booth, but our people will be networking the entire week, keep an eye out for them, or setup a meeting ahead of time through the TSNS website (http://www.tsnstudios.com/ContactUs.aspx).

See you there!

aglick
07-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Hello,

I was fortunate enough to be a student volunteer for Autodesk this year.

But.......do I still need to "register" for siggraph?

Any info is appreciated.

-Fess

Yes. Everybody has to register in order to get a badge. Autodesk may have gotten you registered, but you certainly need to ask.

Fess
07-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Yes. Everybody has to register in order to get a badge. Autodesk may have gotten you registered, but you certainly need to ask.

Good point, I emailed Autodesk.

Also got a free "exhibit only" registration from digital-tutors.

The "Advance Schedule" is overwhelming, I don't know costs and what's good what's not.

-Fess

MrPositive
07-23-2008, 03:04 AM
After missing last year for the my first Siggraph miss in 8 years, I'll be back this year!

malducin
07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
The "Advance Schedule" is overwhelming, I don't know costs and what's good what's not.

The complete schedule is now online, registration costs can be found here:

Registration Categories & Fees (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/attendees/registration/fees.php)

Philip-M
07-23-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll be a first time attender!

graphicdeviation
07-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm going, I'll be there Thursday only. I am a recent college grad working at Rockstar Games. Let me know if any of you other ambitous grads want to hang out and/or grab lunch. :buttrock:

IG-64
07-24-2008, 01:07 PM
First timer here too.

Fess
07-24-2008, 08:48 PM
The complete schedule is now online, registration costs can be found here:

Registration Categories & Fees (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/attendees/registration/fees.php)

Thank you sir...

Pepster3D
07-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I'll be there all week. Can't wait!!! Excited for the master classes, meeting everyone, plus soaking up some California sunshine.

Buexe
07-25-2008, 09:12 AM
LA, I`m coming!!! :bounce:
If you see a confused tall dude with an awful german accent, who is trying to attend three classes at the same time, it will probably be me! wooot! wooot!

rAT--mAN
07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Been on the road biking for a week so far... Started in Seattle, arriving for SIGGRAPH LA!

Fess
07-31-2008, 01:27 AM
Been on the road biking for a week so far... Started in Seattle, arriving for SIGGRAPH LA!

Holy smokes! :surprised

Enjoy biking myself, but not to that degree.

chloedo
08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
My first Siggraph !! I can't wait !!
Soo much things to do, to see......

Fess
08-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Referencing the "SIGGRAPH Volunteers" bulletin:

http://features.cgsociety.org/siggraph2008/index.php

As a Trinidadain, Darvin K. Manwah path is a very difficult one. I'd like to know if he is on this forum?

No results via the search...

-Fess

AliciaWonderland
08-07-2008, 07:09 AM
I'll be there! :wavey:

mahir
08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Preparations done. If all goes well I'll be there too!

PS: I'm the SV Chair for SIGGRAPH Asia 2008 so you can probably spot me occassionally hanging out at the SA2008 booth. Drop by and say hello!

darvinkmanwah
08-19-2008, 04:05 PM
ello there, sorrie for now replying earluer but I was completely taken with other stuff .. how are you?

omega3d
08-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Siggraph was pretty cool this year. I saw some stuff that I found interesting, but I wasn't too "astounded" by anything... I am looknig forward to toxic and some of the virtural reality / augmented reality. Stoked! : )

sohel1
08-26-2008, 10:45 AM
North American organization (even if membership is global), so that's why the conference takes polace in North America. But there are several other conferences that take place in Europe, like Imagina, Eurographics and others.

leghg
08-28-2008, 08:11 AM
So who's going to Siggraph this year? :)

I want to it, but i am not time to it you know:shrug:

darvinkmanwah
08-30-2008, 04:10 AM
Heu guys, did anyone go though and meet up ... the planned one that is ...

Zteif
09-11-2008, 03:57 AM
theres no way i'd make it to the Asia one, or even the LA one. Boston is not close to either of those ^^. but some of my peeps and I are doing a kind of Siggraph here in Boston! discussions and so forth, i've been told.

everyone have fun!!

darvinkmanwah
09-13-2008, 10:50 PM
hmm wanna share some more details on that Zteif .. sounds interesting ...

Fess
09-13-2008, 11:35 PM

sent u some email buddy...

Zteif
09-14-2008, 05:28 PM

looks like Fess beat me to it, but here in Boston the local art schools group up and have their own mini Siggraph. I guess we do the same things as the parent Siggraph, only local and (probably) with less booths and stuff. Kind of like a place to show off what you've been working on. I'll link you some stuff when I find it *roots around piles of papers*

darvinkmanwah
09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
K kewl .. sounds good .. will look out for the email ...

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.