PDA

View Full Version : pasting an image into the vector mask

wheelie
02-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Ive just rendered out a character from 3ds Max which i want to composite onto a photograph, and so I thought id use the alpha chanell from the render to separate the part of the image that i want to be composited on top of the photo.

SO i created the , layer, and then added a layer mask onto that layer, but i can only seem to paint in the layer mask, how would i paste in a black/white image into it? ie my alpha channel from my render

clicking and dragging doesn't work
copy and pasting creates a new layer when you paste with the vector layer selected

how do you do it?

Im using cs3

02-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't know about your vector mask but...

You could save your render as a 32bit tga file and photoshop will reconize
the transparncy, leaving you with just your charactor.

02-01-2008, 07:09 PM
double post sorry

SmallPoly
02-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi wheelie,

You seem to be confusing vector masks with the regular raster-based layer masks. The regular layer masks are raster images made up of pixels that you can edit with the various painting tools (brush, eraser, smudge, etc). Vector masks are based off curve equations and are adjusted through control points and tangents - like what you get when you're using the pen and shape tools.

Anyways, to answer your question, all you have to do to paste into the layer mask is to hold alt and click on it's image in the layers palette (which displays the contents of the mask), then hit paste. This will paste into it instead of into a new layer.

wheelie
02-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Hey, thanks that worked a treat, but for some reason, if i use a new layer to create my mask, and then draw somthing into it, and then press cntrl-a then cntrl-c, alt right click on layer beneath's mask layer, and then cntrl-v, its pastes it, but moves it as little.

And it does this every time, hmmmm

Ive enclosed the files, so you can see what i mean

SmallPoly
02-04-2008, 05:25 AM
Hi wheelie,

Two things are making the location change -

1.The text in your example is surrounded by blank pixels. Photoshop crops out any fully transparent pixels when copying selected areas to the clipboard.

2. When you paste something into photoshop, it is automatically centered.

To get your mask to paste into the exact same location, create a new layer, fill it with white, merge the text down, and copy that. To preserve the original layer, you can duplicate the layer by right-clicking on it and selecting "duplicate layer."

wheelie
02-04-2008, 12:51 PM

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2008, 12:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.