PDA

View Full Version : selecting components like in wings 3d/mirai

Levitateme
04-29-2003, 04:42 AM
I was wondering does anyone know of a script to select components in maya , like how you can in wings 3d? I belive its got a magnetic fall off to it? I hope someone knows of soemthing cause thast extremly helpful option. Thanks

michaelcomet
04-30-2003, 12:12 AM
You'd probably have to code a custom tool to move/adjust the verts probably a plugin.

Or a script that was only marginally interactive. The issue is something is either selected or not... so you'd have a selection, then you could figure out based on some change/motion it has done how to smoothly move the other verts, but I don't think it would be as easy as some simple tool. It may need multiple steps/button presses.

A cheat might be a tool that took a selection, then created a cluster of those points, and then added other points around to that cluster with a falloff type weighting, then let you mvoe the cluster. Then when done, you could delete history on the object. Kind of a poor mans magnet tool.

michaelcomet
04-30-2003, 12:13 AM
BTW one other simpler idea is to simply use a Lattice as a modeling tool... ie: select the area, make a lattice, and hten deform/model with the lattice, then delete history...not as clean as a true falloff/cluster weighting....but it might work for you.

rebo
04-30-2003, 01:54 AM
From www.Highend3d.com mirai-esque magnets

clay_dough.mel v1.5:: [ By Roger Klado ] - [ Home Page ] - [ README ] - [ Works on: 3.x, 4.x, Irix, NT ] - [ Updated March 5th 2002 ] - [ 1375 kb ] Send to a friend

A mel script for automating Maya deformer setup to emulate interactive Magnet fall-off assignment.
Support added for Nurbs, Lattices and Curves.

Levitateme
04-30-2003, 03:44 AM
Hey guys im just talking about the regular selection tools, like if your mouse is near a edge, vert, it selects it. i know about clay tools thanks, but i am justl ooking for a tool that will select like that.

sunit
04-30-2003, 07:46 AM
this isn't quite the selection tool you want, but here's an implementation of the cluster method - i'll be releasing this one soon. it uses the little known(?) percent command in Mel to calculate quick falloff's,

have fun,
sunit

softSelection tool (http://www.3dluvr.com/voltaire/techDirection/Scripts/spClusterFallOff.mel)

michaelcomet
04-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Well if you just want the selection,
just do `ls -sl`

however if you are asking how to take some point in the screen and then have it figure what object is now chosen, you will proably be out of luck or have to dig thru existing maya internal scripts.

Or perhaps you are asking how to make a "context" type script. Which lets the user pick objects interactively, and hit Enter etc...and then when done returns to your script with the selected items. Look up "Context" stuff for that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.