PDA

View Full Version : Scaling a joint without moving others in chain

Monkeytongue
02-01-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem I'm having. I need to be able to apply a uniform scale to one joint while not effecting the translation of the joint below it in the chain. Thanks for your help.

LuckyBug
02-01-2008, 01:42 AM
You can visually make one bigger by chaging his radius in attribute editor.

Monkeytongue
02-01-2008, 01:45 AM
I need to scale the joint so that it changes the shape of geometry that is bound to it.

johnchuang
02-01-2008, 02:57 AM
uncheck the "segmentScaleCompensate" under "joint" for every joint in atrrEditor .
or select every jnt in chain then run scripts below:

string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;
string $singleJnt;
for ($singleJnt in $sel)
{
setAttr ($singleJnt + ".segmentScaleCompensate") 0;
}

hope this helps

scroll-lock
02-01-2008, 09:30 AM
As long as the lower joints are parented to the one you are scaling, they will be moving. You must search for other possibilities , for example, can you bind to another joints on top of these?

Geuse
02-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure if I undertsand it correctly, but as I read you want to scale a joint, but not affect it's length? So can't you just scale the y and z axis of the joint if z is pointing down the chain?

Monkeytongue
02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Well unfortunately the engine I'm working with only allows uniform scale but I think I found a solution. I'm just going to creat a locator which I'll parent constrain to the first joint then parent constrain the child joint to the locator. That way the joint will stay put and I can scale the parent joint without effecting the childs location relative to the parent. For some reason I think I was trying to make it more complicated than it needed to be at first but this solution is working so far. Thanks for all of the replies.

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.