PDA

View Full Version : how to invert an object

JDex
04-29-2003, 01:32 AM
Posted on behalf of Adobe_Wan_Kenobe, who for some reason can't visit CGTalk.

Okay, I have Blender 2.23 (I am going to get a newer version soon) and am having trouble figuring out how to invert an object. I have finished one side of a ship, and now I wish to duplicate and invert it so I can complete the other half without trying to remake the 2000 vertices exactly the same. So, essentially I need a mirrored duplicate of one side.
BTW, I recently aquired 3DS Max 3.1 but I wanted to finish this project before starting to learn how to use it.

Can ne1 in here help this fellah... if so, I'll be a medium (feeling especially nice today)

dreamsgate
04-29-2003, 02:38 AM
okay it is not too difficult.

1) Tab out of edit mode, with object still selected, push Alt + "D" key. (this gives exact copy)

2) Push either "S" + "X" OR "S" + "Y". (this will flip your object, which one you use will depend on what view you are doing it in.

3) Next your friend will most likely want to join it together. Line both halves up, with both selected (pink color) push Control + "J" key. and then tab into edit mode, box select the vertices on the seam and push the remove doubles key in the edit buttons window.

hmmm... I think that should about do it!:applause:

hanspb
04-29-2003, 12:08 PM
One more thing: To make sure the two halves are exactly lined up, you first (in editmode) select one vertice that is on the axis you will flip around. Then Shift-S and click on "cursor to selected". Then press "." (dotkey). This way you will flip around the 3d cursor, and your vertices are ready for the Rem Doubles.
Also you might just as well do the whole thing while you are in editmode. Then you don't have to worry about the normals. If you duplicate out of editmode, the normals will be pointing inwards and the mesh will look black in shaded mode.

Apollux
05-01-2003, 07:08 AM
I know you are only asking about meshes, but I want to mention that if you want to duplicate an armature (let's say that you did the right side of your character and want to duplicate it for the left side) doing it INSIDE edit mode IS THE ONLY way to do it right.

If you do the duplication outside of editmode you are buying yourself a one-way ticket to the Z-Axis-Misorientation-Hell for animation sinners.

You don't know what I'm talking about? them it is likely you don't need to worry about it.. but any seasoned character animator knows (provably learned the hard way) what I'm talking about.

:annoyed:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.