PDA

View Full Version : Animate fire hose

Ken Koala
04-28-2003, 11:23 PM
At first glace I wasn’t sure how to animate a fire hose being pulled of a circular reel (rotating as hose pulling off), especially with a massive handover from seeing the Datsun's last night

Anyway what would be the best way? Deformer or IK
Any suggestions guy/girls

Not drinking for another few days
Ken
:drool:

Irie
04-29-2003, 05:31 AM
:beer:

Ken Koala
05-01-2003, 12:55 AM
Come on guys/girls
Any suggestions?

Irie
05-01-2003, 01:21 AM
hmm..

just an idea. and untested.

if the shot will allow for some trickery, you might be able to have the hose grow along a path with an endomorf, maybe some dynamics to make it sag or something... and have the hose roller just be an animated texture map that with some sort of displacement to give it the appearance of unrolling?

that was probably all wrong. i apologize in advance

Hugh
05-01-2003, 02:04 AM
Not sure if this one will work, but try creating your hose originally as a straight one, and put a wire deformer onto it. Then bend your wide into the shape you want it to follow. If you now load up the hypergraph and show input and output connections on the hose, you'll see your original hose node in there. If you select this, and translate it along the axis that the straight wire pointed along, you'll get the effect of the hose following the path.....

I don't have Maya in front of me at the moment, so I can't check this, but if anything doesn't work, do say, and I'll check it out when I can.

Ken Koala
05-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Thanks guys for your prompt response

I found a mel script on Highend that will create a helix curve. Could this curve be made into the wire deformer? Its going to be a pain in the ass if i have to bend a wire around a reel.

My task is not really a fire hose real scenario. I need to produce an animation of a fuelling pod extracting from a wing of a fuelling plane to a fighter jet. Then zoom in close to the internal shot of the hose unwinding of the reel within the pod.

I have everything under control besides the close-up shot of the hose unwinding.
I will give these suggestions a-go.

Thanks again guys

Regards
Ken

Hugh
05-01-2003, 03:24 AM
Hmmm....

initial thoughts (again, without Maya here) on doing this one....

Create your hose path, as you want it to finally be.
Create another, straight, curve - try and make it the same overall length as the twisted one.
Rebuild your straight curve so that it has the same number of CVs as the twisted one
Add the wire deformer between the hose geometry and the curve
Morph the straight curve into the twisted one
Voila - you have your hose using your predefined curve....

Hope it works.... I'm off to bed now (just finished doing a write-up at 3:50 am), I'll check back in the morning, and if you're having any problems, I'll get Maya up and check it out for you...

Gremlin
05-01-2003, 06:06 AM
maybe this could help?
http://www.visualart.ro/tutorials/cablu/cablu.htm
Cheers,
:beer:

jadamburke
05-01-2003, 07:40 AM
The maya developers were thinking of you when they made the Flow Path Object. Sounds nifty no?
1. First create a big long straight nurbs or poly cylinder with plenty of spans - like 50 or more, freeze transform.
2. then make a curve that spirals around the reel and out to wherever you want the hose to go. Think of this curve as a motion path for the hose.
3. And now make it a motion path for the hose, animate->motion paths->attach to motion path with the follow option enabled.
4. select the nurbs/poly hose and apply the animate->motion paths->flow path object operation. Set the Divisions Front or U divisions to something like 50.

now the object moves along the path and is deformed by the lattice. If don't like motion paths then break the motion paths U value connection on the channel bar and animate it yourself.

-if your not using maya then this is useless.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.