PDA

View Full Version : Caching rig transforms for faster animator feedback

BenBarker
01-31-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm thinking about ways that rigs could be quickly evaluated to increase fps for animators. Increasing the speed of the rigs themselves seems like potentially a really difficult problem, because our rigs have an arbitrary complexity that is pretty much always increasing, and add to that an arbitrary number of characters possibly in a scene at once. It's a losing battle.

But if the animators could just play once, then have all transforms cached until they are dirtied, well, that would be really nice. Ideally the caching would be almost completely transparent to the animator, that is caching would be no slower that playing the scene (which rules out file I/O). The "caching" attribute that exists on every node in Maya, that seems to exist for this purpose, doesn't seem to be implemented. I don't see any change in speed or memory when everything has this enabled. Maybe am I doing this wrong?

If I was going to do this, I'm thinking maybe a custom transform node that repects the caching attribute. Is this built in already and I'm just spinning my wheels? Or has anyone that's done anything like this have any words of advice?

It's a decent chunk of work and I know people have done this before, so I thought it would be worth a post.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2008, 12:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.