PDA

View Full Version : Combining multiple fluid effect containers funkiness

acidream
01-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Here's the deal. I'm creating an ocean scene from an airplane with two fluid effects containers. One for the horizon fog, and one for the clouds. They both look great seperately, but when rendered together they don't look so hot. I increased the volume samples and that reduced the noise at the horizon, but created another problem with the alpha channel that causes them to be composited funky. I've attached images of the various renders so you can see what's going on more clearly. The first image is the ocean and sky. The second image is the ocean, sky and horizon fog. The third image is the ocean, sky and clouds. The fourth image is all three together, and the fith image is all three with volume samples turned up.

With the volume samples up the noise goes away, but the horizon fog is really dark on top of the sky. When you look at the alpha images you can see the difference that makes it not comp right. In the final two images the color channel is almost identical, it's just the alpha that is different.

acidream
01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Here's the next two images in a seperate post because of the three image limit.

acidream
01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
And finally the alpha images.

acidream
01-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I fixed the problem. If anyones interested about the solution, there seems to be an upper limit to the scale of fluid containers before there start getty wacky. We had a very large overall scene scale and when that was reduced about to about 10 percent of the original size everything started acting normal again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2008, 11:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.