PDA

View Full Version : Walk Cycle - WIP

barlim3
01-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Been awhile since I started doing some animation, so decided to start off with one of the basic things. A walk cycle.

Would greatly appreciate comments and critiques for improvements. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl8P6K-Iyzg

chewedon
01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Something looks off with the walk cycle.

It feels like the guy, when he takes the next step, takes it with caution so that he doesn't step on a land mine.

Maybe he isn't bending down enough or the legs need to be a bit more exaggerated (rotated more) during the "down" pose and the "passing" pose.

One more thing I notice is his chest doesn't bend forward slightly when he's taking the next step. It's either vertical or bending back, it never bends forward. That's probably what's making it look like he's stepping with care.

barlim3
01-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping to achieve a more realistic walk but not too cartoony. I did try to lower the down pose but it felt too much like sneaking. I guess I will explore an in-between of that and what's there now.
I too felt something was off, and i guess you see it too. Especially when both feet are on the ground, its like the movements are slower.

I'll add in the chest bits when I get the chance to after my work. Help is much appreciated. :)

NickGooch
01-30-2008, 10:03 PM
try moving the shoulders/upper spine more theres no swing or a very tiny amount. Look at the walk from top view, the shoulders need to point the arms when they move forward. This will help get rid of the stiffness.

goodluck :)

FattyGrissle
01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Looks good.
Something that sort of stands out to me is it looks like his upper body is too far back compared to where his hips are. Almost like he is 'creeping' forward (like he was sneeking up on someone, just dulled down a LOT). IMO it looks like he would tip backwards if he stopped.
But other than that its looking good.

Kid-Mesh
01-31-2008, 09:43 PM
barlim3 - Welcome back to the fold :twisted:

youTube vids are hard for me to C&C the way I like but...Overall this is pretty good. Why is the kid so sad? LOL

Anyway, what is probably throwing some people of is the hips. No that much in the shift of weight nor does it really go up or down during the transition of weight either. Aside from that, I cant really break it down how I want cause I cant scrub it.

Nice though. Keep it up...post more!

Capel
02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
his body looks "pinned". add more up and down. also, the legs are slightly lunging forward. i'd just even out your curves on the Translate Z channel. the overlap in the hands is a little much. i'd tone it down and actually try to get more overlap between the forearm and bicep.

this isn't terrible, though. just a few minor tweaks and it'll be pretty much there.

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.