PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War III - info thread

Pages : [1] 2

heavyness
01-30-2008, 04:26 AM
website - http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/
cgsociety feature - http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4375
announcement tread - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=581266

a lot of questions have been answered in the announcement thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=581266). any others, please PM me.

[more to come...very soon]

robo3687
01-31-2008, 03:41 AM
so when will the prizes and other info be announced?

originally it was mid january but thats come and gone...

then it was the 28th and that too has come and gone

TheBladeRoden
01-31-2008, 05:11 AM
Here's a question, do we know what we're doing yet?

blakbird
01-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Really! Duh!
Is there a financial problem?
Or wait for another expected but a latecomer forum to join?
Maybe they still could not decide what to do? (totally different era and subject).

Anyway, heavyness, do we have similar thread done before like this new one which i reply just now?

Asking just because, I am experienced in modeling and generating my own textures, amterials etc. but the last -game- mesh i produced was nearly 5 years ago. Since then, I generally do 3d work for recorded works like architectural renders or animated short sequences.

Will we exchange ideas, tips and tricks here? For example lowpoly-highpoly conversions, applying normal maps etc..

heavyness
01-31-2008, 10:12 PM
prizes announced!

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/en/prizes/index.htm#prizes

DMIII hompage (http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/en/index.htm) updated.

MAV4d
02-01-2008, 01:23 AM
ive never seen this before, im so glad ive stumbled apon it! i dont know about the rest of you but compitition brings out the best in me... im very excited for this to start.

ive read through the few pages, im not sure about rules or genre but im guessing they will be posted soon.

We have the best community, we have amazing artists, we have to kick some ass:D

-Mike

Swizzle
02-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Here's a question, do we know what we're doing yet?Nope. The theme will be ennounced when the comp starts.

eMysfit
02-01-2008, 01:37 AM
The always countdown too far in advance, the suspense is killing me!

jocz
02-01-2008, 06:39 PM
do we just have to create our own thread to participate ?

aeonseraph
02-02-2008, 10:23 AM
About the prizes...
Is it fair to other artists that the hardware prizes will recieve only winners from USA and Canada, all of the other winners who live in diferent countries will recieve only cash prizes?
It's not like i'm complaining or something, because i don't really think i will win anything at all :D
I'm just curious:)

heavyness
02-03-2008, 06:32 AM
ok, so here is the state of DMIII...

theme - the theme hasn't been announced yet
prizes - prizes announced right here [link (http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/en/prizes/index.htm)]
what do i do now? - wait, do some tutorials, learn a new 3d app. you do not have to sign up yet or make a thread on cgsociety yet.

keep checking back here...
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/en/index.htm
...for the latest and greatest news. i will post info as soon as i get it.

as for the prizes/money... it's hard to send hardware out from one country to another. it's a legal clusterf*ck [trust me]. a lot of contest actually do this, but don't advertise it [read the fine print]. the fact the DMIII guys are straight up with you from the get-go is nice sign. personally, i like money a lot.

blakbird
02-03-2008, 10:33 PM
do we just have to create our own thread to participate ?

I think yes, here we will have a thread of our own, later we will post the deliverables.

alechko03
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm in!
i agree i think we have some of the greatest artists in our forums, can't wait to see what other people will come up with.
See you in the competition! Good Luck!

kobi
02-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Count me In :scream: ROOAAAAARRRRRRRRR!

amrgets
02-08-2008, 06:48 PM
what is dominance war ?

could any one illustrate this

thanks

danb
02-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I've never seen this before so i'll ask a very newbie-like question: "How do i enter?". :)

heavyness
02-08-2008, 09:32 PM
what is dominance war ?

it's a bunch of online forums battling it out to create the best art. more here...
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/en/about/index.htm

I've never seen this before so i'll ask a very newbie-like question: "How do i enter?". :)

as of right now, you can not enter DMIII... it's just been announced. soon, the forums over at the DMIII site will open and you will register there. then you will create a thread on cgsociety and link both accounts [really easy to do, nothing to hard].

danb
02-08-2008, 10:20 PM
as of right now, you can not enter DMIII... it's just been announced. soon, the forums over at the DMIII site will open and you will register there. then you will create a thread on cgsociety and link both accounts [really easy to do, nothing to hard].

Ok thank you.

wild-brendan
02-09-2008, 10:24 AM
So what do we speculate the theme will be?

rheece
02-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Going by the splash image on the front page I'm thinking it could be a fantasy theme with magic, swords and shields etc, not robots, cyborgs and guns. Think LOTR/Warhammer/WOW. Plus Blizzard is a big sponsor for it. Just my idea anyway :D

eMysfit
02-12-2008, 08:29 AM
So close hope they don't randomly delay. I guess they're making us wait till the day it starts for the briefs eh?

XPOM
02-13-2008, 10:21 AM
How to register in Dominance War III?

fktt
02-14-2008, 07:32 PM
How to register in Dominance War III? currently iirc all you need to do is register at the GameArtisans.Org forum, and the same account will be usable in the war.

CoNSeptiC
02-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Whats with the countdown on the gameartisan's site its still saying 14 hours to go, when I looked yesterday it said 8 hours!?!

Whats with the delay? :curious:

Will there be more delays? :sad:

Is the countdown just broken? :cry:

Am I asking too many questions? :shrug:

CoNSeptiC
02-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Ok the organiser over at gameartisans has confirmed an extra day stuck onto the time but has given no clear indication of the why-for's. I think he was just teasing with the origianl kick off date, probably got roped into some valentines day based shannanigans, where as i for one had locked my girlfriend away in a dark room just so i could wait, un-nagged, with baited breath, for the GOD DAMNED BRIEF!! :twisted:

Anyhoo, meltdown over, 14 hours to go (again) :buttrock:

tvfunnyman
02-15-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm looking forward to it.

It should be fun.

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

BritBrit
02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Seriously! I was up all night, trying to pass the time, cleaning out my hard drive and here we are with another odd countdown change. I have lost faith in the counter...

And now I have to balance DW time with freelance project time. Oh the world is so cruel!

CoNSeptiC
02-15-2008, 03:11 PM
So what do we speculate the theme will be?

I'm hoping some sort of fantasy world/ tolkienesque/ Frank Frazetta/ WoW/ LOTR Kinda thing.

The medival fantasy genre has been the real winner over the last year or so in games what with WoW, Assassin's Creed, witcher etc.

But its gonna be strange as to how they further subdivide the spec among the many different forums. Last year they only split it three ways for the different communities this time there are 9. Are they gonna split it down by the RPG race/class divisions, different character types allegiances?

I suppose we'll have to wait and find out in 7 hours 50 minutes and I'm probably completely wrong but that would be cool, I'm sure whatever they come up with will be sweet!

DW ROX :buttrock:

inneractive
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I suspect you are right, the past two have been sci-fi so maybe it's time to change it up a little.

Anyway, I'm ready... been working hard the past month to up my skills for this event. Looking forward to getting started. Let's do this!

thejaybird
02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Seriously! I was up all night, trying to pass the time, cleaning out my hard drive and here we are with another odd countdown change. I have lost faith in the counter...

And now I have to balance DW time with freelance project time. Oh the world is so cruel!

I mentioned is the first DMIII thread that i "didn't have anything to do in Feb", so i was excited to get started with a clear schedule, but it looks like this will be going well into March. Thats a busy month for me...I feel your pain BritBrit.

i thought about staying up for the release at midnight, but after reading everyones posts...i'm glad i got some sleep.

tvfunnyman
02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Gameartisans.org states it will start roughly 11 hours from the time I'm posting this.

12am Midnight, Saturday, February 16th US CST (GMT -6hr).

I'm sharpening my stylus now...

BritBrit
02-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Gameartisans.org states it will start roughly 11 hours from the time I'm posting this.

12am Midnight, Saturday, February 16th US CST (GMT -6hr).

I'm sharpening my stylus now...

Oooh. That means 1am for us -5'rs. Yay, I get to nap after work then!

BritBrit
02-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I mentioned is the first DMIII thread that i "didn't have anything to do in Feb", so i was excited to get started with a clear schedule, but it looks like this will be going well into March. Thats a busy month for me...I feel your pain BritBrit.

i thought about staying up for the release at midnight, but after reading everyones posts...i'm glad i got some sleep.
No worries Jay, the force shall be with us

CoNSeptiC
02-15-2008, 11:03 PM
I just watched the countdown finish wheres the brief at???:bounce:

SinisterUrge
02-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Good question, I watched it too. Can't be long now

inneractive
02-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Says 7 more hours for me.

Seems like the clock is based on our personal PC and timezone, so lot's of people are posting different countdown times on GameArtisans.org

Digiegg
02-16-2008, 07:24 AM
the heck is going on?
I'm like dying for the storyline here.

aeonseraph
02-16-2008, 07:32 AM
what's up with the timer? i waited all night untill countdown is finished but as a result it disappeared and nothing has changed since then. Is it another delay or what? does someone have a clue when it will Really start?

The site still says that contest will start februarry 15, but the funny thing is that it is already february 16.

Jassar
02-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Same thing with me. Waiting for too long is not good for my heart lol.

CoNSeptiC
02-16-2008, 08:42 AM
OMG, a timer should be relevant to the competition not to my system, otherwise its meaningless!

Some people on GA are expecting a monday start, but thats shit cos peeps gotta work!

I've lost my faith in humanity all over again!!

CoNSeptiC
02-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Anyone else thinkins maybe fredh has skipped south of the border with the cintiqs, ps3's, and $10,000 cash and is living the sweet life with andy dufraine?

SinisterUrge
02-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Won't be long now. He's no doubt snoring his head off right now

prayas
02-16-2008, 10:34 AM
patience warriors. time for battle will come soon.

I believe with a challenge this big there are some things to work out.

P..:

Grotesq
02-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Anyone else thinkins maybe fredh has skipped south of the border with the cintiqs, ps3's, and $10,000 cash and is living the sweet life with andy dufraine?

Wahahahahahaha guess I'll have to agree with this they are one day past the schedule and probbaly staring at the blue ocean right now.

CoNSeptiC
02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Ok the organiser FredH apparently lives in Montreal, Canada, which I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) runs on Eastern Seaboard time, which is like 7:34 am as I write this.

I'm gonna give it till 9 am EST If theres still nothing I'm gonna ................ wait longer!!

Skipping out for a wee mo though, need food, Don't start the war without me!!

thepineman
02-16-2008, 12:09 PM
probably they are adding a little bit - element of surprise and anticipation.

i would like to join too!

CoNSeptiC
02-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Can't help but notice those links below ur name go to some creationism lectures, Can't help but think a bit less of you for that!

Firerbert
02-16-2008, 12:38 PM
This really sux. :sad:

MAV4d
02-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Can't help but notice those links below ur name go to some creationism lectures, Can't help but think a bit less of you for that!

did u mum ( i say mum bc i see your in the uk) ever say if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all?

:D

CoNSeptiC
02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Sorry guy's my own oppinionated rage was slipping out will keep it to myself from now on!!

samarcbz
02-16-2008, 01:04 PM
damn cant wait !:D

joed8349
02-16-2008, 01:14 PM
If I want to enter the dominance war competition, do I need to sign up anywhere?
Or being a member of this website is good enough to participate on behalf of CG Society?

Thanks.

CoNSeptiC
02-16-2008, 01:23 PM
You need to register at http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/en/index.htm Then you link the profile you create there to one that you use here, it all sounds a bit strange i know but thee will apparently be further instructions once it all kicks off.

For now though just follow the link above and register

dale22x
02-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNSeptiC

did u mum ( i say mum bc i see your in the uk) ever say if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all?

well...if people where always only told nice things and negatives about what they put out in the open....the world would be a dangerous place

however on a more relavant note, ....=_= the site is down now......atleast...it's changed....so that must be a good sign.....

CoNSeptiC
02-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah just noticed that, I think war is about to break out. :drool:

TonyEdwards
02-16-2008, 01:48 PM
however on a more relavant note, ....=_= the site is down now......atleast...it's changed....so that must be a good sign.....

Or bad because servers are down due to site being hammered... :sad:

Xarxys
02-16-2008, 01:56 PM
I had the same thing last year I didn't even get to enter my finished project because their servers were down that day. You would think that they would expect there to be this many people wanting to join a competition like this. *Growls*

eMysfit
02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Fred usually puts up most of the prize moneys and stuff himself. I know those comments about him staring at the sun south of the border was a joke but I just figured I'd point out that it wouldn't make much sense for him to put as much time/effort as he does into the competition(gathering sponsers/his personal prize contributions/etc) just to take it all back.

And for those who havn't entered the previous two years....get ready for stuff like this haha. Despite being an awesome competition and everyone getting really into it and stuff the technical side is usually lackluster. There's always entry system problems, web site problems, deadline problems, extensions, etc...

...just thought I'd try and through some calm out there...

but...lets see that brief already!! jeesh!!

Aristas
02-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey, Thanks for the heads up. The suspense is killing me. And considering I haven't participated in the previous two, I have no idea what to expect.
I guess it's only natural for something like this with so many participants to encounter problems along the way.
But still!! So excited!! Can't wait ^_^

blastzone
02-16-2008, 02:48 PM
yeh iv been waiting since my timer ran out some 12 hours ago lol... i need a topic curse you!!!

inneractive
02-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Well, their servers are dead for me now. Hope it isn't anything major...

[edit]
Nevermind, just the GameArtisans.com contest page is dead. Looks like the main page and forum are working fine.

AndrewATL
02-16-2008, 02:57 PM
sites back up, nothing new though

inneractive
02-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Looks like the members at CGTalk.ru are biding their time working on some cool insignias and logos for their team. Seems like a good idea to spend my morning sketching...

http://www.cgtalk.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=19217

TonyEdwards
02-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Well, the site appears to be back up but still no brief. I was hoping the site being down was due to a flood of traffic after an update... still :sad:

kenjitsu
02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
inneractive: Shouldn't we be doing that too? I'm in on that... maybe start a thread?

inneractive
02-16-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure if CGTalk is planning on doing that this year. Last year I was on the CGChat team and we made a logo.

MatthewNovak
02-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I cant stand this, the timer is gone, it suposed to be started and im sitting here refreshing the page. lol..

TonyEdwards
02-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure if CGTalk is planning on doing that this year. Last year I was on the CGChat team and we made a logo.

Speaking of CGChat. Have you been there recently? What's going on there?*

*Sorry bout being off topic and if it's inappropriate to ask.

mxdirector
02-16-2008, 03:41 PM
things to do while waiting for dominace war to start.

1- watch blackadder on dvd and refreshing the dominace war page every time baldrick has a cunning plan
2- put blue paint on your face to make yourself look angry and agressive.

inneractive
02-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah I don't know. Seems like most everyone migrated to GameArtisans.org. FredH used to be a moderator at CGChat before starting up the new site. I have been spending most of my internet time here, so this year I'm with you guys :buttrock:

I'm definitely making the finish line this year! Last year about half-way through the comp I was contacted by Simutronics to do a world building art test and had to drop out, but my schedule is clear this year.

kenjitsu
02-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Some pople are waiting for the brief, before they choose forum and I think thats abit lame, should be a side picking before the brief... but I'm just being picky I guess. :wise:

SOuNDSNC
02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Some of us are using our dom war chars for our reel. I'd like mine to fit as well as possible with my 2 other reel characters. That's why I'm waiting for a theme before picking.

BritBrit
02-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure that it's too lame. I mean, I think it adds on an element of fun to the whole thing. Because there are so many different forums competing it's like now people have up to 9 different options of what they want to put there heart and soul into creating. The competition is set up for people to learn from each other and really have a great time doing it (I think, lol). But this is my first War so I might be missing something about the whole "loyalty to your forum" thing.

In the end though, I suppose it really doesn't matter sense I'm not rolling with any one else but the CGsociety crew (woot!). I kinda like the added anticipation of "Wow so I wonder what details will be be delegated to us specifically!"

kenjitsu
02-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Well, I'm not attacking anyone for doing this, but it would more fun if it was a surprise. An it is good to be able to handle surprises too if I'm going to be working as a concept artist or something else that line. You never now whats coming next. I'm sticking with CGsociety, don't care what they throw at me, if I can't handle it then I'm not ready for real work. Thats my plan, and hope I survive, haha.

TonyEdwards
02-16-2008, 04:27 PM
things to do while waiting for dominace war to start.
1- Laundry (so when the brief is announced my wife won't have reason to nag me)
2- Deny urge to put off doing laundry to play WoW
3- Deny urge to play WoW instead of doing practice sculpting

Some pople are waiting for the brief, before they choose forum and I think thats abit lame, should be a side picking before the brief... but I'm just being picky I guess.
I'm sorta doing this. Unless another forum gets a theme I'd rather work on I'm sticking with CGTalk. Kinda for what SOuNDSNC said, since I want this to go in my reel/portfolio.

kenjitsu
02-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Ok, I shouldn't have used the word lame, as it's abit harsh. But it's kind of cheating yourself kinda thing, yeah... I'll just be quite now. ;P Didn't mean to step on any toes. :)

XTitan
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM
It feels good to know I'm not the only one practicing my F5(CTRL+R) skills :) on the Dom War page. The timer did say approximately and not exactly so I guess we can't be too mad :/

I wish we had some info as to what the hold up is or at least when we can expect stuff to begin. If certain current US presidents *wink* were in charge of this war, it would have already started when the last one finished :thumbsup:

For now all we can do is wait and sharpen our skills.

As far as picking sides, I can understand people waiting til the deadline(picking anything else is picking the enemy and therefore asking for a buttkicking :P), but I prefer to pick now and fight for CGSociety regardless of what they throw at us.

Well enough about what I think, LETS FIGHT!!!

TonyEdwards
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM
You do make a good point here though. :thumbsup:
...don't care what they throw at me, if I can't handle it then I'm not ready for real work.

Thats why I like the idea of the various challenges... forces you to kinda stretch... that is if you're unlike me and actually finish... :sad:

kenjitsu
02-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Well I'm going against all odds here, I just hope I can handle it, it's all about priorities and discipline I guess, and to be able to compromise ofcourse. I have found out that I get jet fuel when I'm a underdog. I just burst in to flame and get busy. If I'm too free in terms of what subject and have too much time on my hands, I start to think... and the thinking never ends!.

Mike Kopa
02-16-2008, 04:58 PM
... You never now whats coming next. I'm sticking with CGsociety, don't care what they throw at me, if I can't handle it then I'm not ready for real work. Thats my plan, and hope I survive, haha.

Very good point. I'll be sticking with CGSociety as well on this one, no matter what it is.

izquierdo
02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
There's no details so far in the Dominance War Site. Anybody know anything?

veedubb
02-16-2008, 06:26 PM
yea this is redic, any guesses on this years topic of character?

Swizzle
02-16-2008, 06:33 PM
These are from the gameartisans.org thread:

Getting the brief up even if the submission system isn't entirely ready yet would be pretty awesome, too. I doubt that's going to happen, however.Actually, it will have to be done as you suggested... however, there is a cost to gameartisans.org Only gameartisans members will not be able to start their entries on the forum because we rely on the system to create threads for us. So GA warriors will have to keep their ideas in their head, on their computer, or in a sketchbook until Tuesday.

That said, the brief will be up in 2-3 hours. All translations are just about done

kenjitsu
02-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Try sketching all the possible themes you can think of before it begins, good training... that should keep you calm until it stirkes. It's more or less gonna be a warrior of some sort, that much should be true. A warlord I guess, it's just the time and place that will be the big surprise here, I assume.

Edit: Well, good timing from my part... haha 2-3hours, man, now it's starting to sparkle,...

mxdirector
02-16-2008, 06:42 PM
how long will the war go on for.
if it starts today, when is the deadline?

Digiegg
02-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Someone said that we might not be able to collab with other artists?
Is that true?
I think we shoud be able to collab. Like let's say Concept artist and a 3D modeler working together or something.
Last year's winner got to do it and look at the great pieces that came out of it.
Anyone know if this is true or not?

joed8349
02-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Someone said that we might not be able to collab with other artists?
Is that true?
I think we shoud be able to collab. Like let's say Concept artist and a 3D modeler working together or something.
Last year's winner got to do it and look at the great pieces that came out of it.
Anyone know if this is true or not?

I think you can collaborate, that is probably why there are separate categories for 3D and 2D concept. If I remember correctly I read on the site that collaboration is ok.

inneractive
02-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info Swizzle! 2-3 hours sounds good. Looks like he is waiting on translations.

inneractive
02-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I think you can collaborate, that is probably why there are separate categories for 3D and 2D concept. If I remember correctly I read on the site that collaboration is ok.

I read on the GA forums that there will be no collaborations this year. I think it keeps the playing field more even with the pros vs the amateurs. I mean, if someone could walk a few cubicles down to an awesome concept artist and convince them to draw up some concept art and model sheets, is that really fair to the amateurs and students out there going it alone?

Digiegg
02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
True but there's no reason why students and amatures can't go out and find a concept artist they can work with. Schools are a great way to network and collaborate.
Also the forums can be a good way to find artists out there you could be working with.

Obmoc
02-16-2008, 07:14 PM
I also read on polycount or another forum that teams were out this year. Just a heads up.

Obmoc

TonyEdwards
02-16-2008, 07:15 PM
how long will the war go on for.
if it starts today, when is the deadline?

Someone on gameartisans.org mentioned 2 months but we'll have to wait for the brief to be sure.

dale22x
02-16-2008, 07:20 PM
aw....i really hope collaborations are aloud..-_- i dont' think i'll be entering otherwise.....i don't think my concepting skills are not polished enough for this....

fktt
02-16-2008, 07:59 PM
aw....i really hope collaborations are aloud..-_- i dont' think i'll be entering otherwise.....i don't think my concepting skills are not polished enough for this.... if your going to enter the 3D comp then you dont have to worry about that.. what will be judged is the character model. :)

Obmoc
02-16-2008, 08:05 PM
I just found on another site's forum that teams are not allowed. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115778

There is the link to the forum it's in the first couple posts.

Obmoc

Digiegg
02-16-2008, 08:12 PM
if your going to enter the 3D comp then you dont have to worry about that.. what will be judged is the character model. :)

well yeah but characters have to have a great concept for it to be even looked at...

Xarxys
02-16-2008, 08:21 PM
*sigh* I wont be able to get started until late late tonight or tomorrow morning I have to work one of my two jobs tonight. Man trying to make rent is such a bother lol.

fktt
02-16-2008, 09:02 PM
well yeah but characters have to have a great concept for it to be even looked at... yes, but this is a great chanse to practice - how else will you become better at it?
and id say that having fun in this comp(well, to me at least) is more important than becoming the first. :D

(winning would ofc. be cool too, thoughi doubt i would) :p

Obmoc
02-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Do we have to registar on the game artisians page to participate? I haven't competed before and just thought the new participates like myself might want to know that. Thanks guys...

Obmoc

fktt
02-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Do we have to registar on the game artisians page to participate? as far as i know that rings true..

Obmoc
02-16-2008, 09:29 PM
So any idea whats taking so long? Shouldn't the translation be done by now? I think it's been 2-3 hours. Maybe I'm just overly excited and want the breif to be up. Either way I registered on GameArtisians so I am ready to go.

Obmoc

dale22x
02-16-2008, 09:32 PM
yes, but this is a great chanse to practice - how else will you become better at it?
and id say that having fun in this comp(well, to me at least) is more important than becoming the first. :D

(winning would ofc. be cool too, thoughi doubt i would) :p

yes, i dont diagree that it would be fun either way..and yes i would like to practis...however i was going to do this as one of the pieces for my demo reel too..and... ...well.. like the guy said...if it's not an interesting concept....i don't expect people to want to look at it....thats how it is with me any..i assume most other people aren't too different...

...but still..i really want to enter this year.......i guess...if i can get a great concept going

Mogster
02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Dont think you will need to register on game artisans, unless youre competing for them. Dom war should have its own registration page where you will be able to choose your faction and put the url pointing to your thread.

Obmoc
02-16-2008, 09:56 PM
When I just registered there was no spot for it. I did it from the Dominance War Page. Just wondering if i screwed something up.

Obmoc

Mogster
02-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Yea the homepage is still down atm. FredH is still working on it. eta I cant tell you im afraid. He did say he'll try get it running today. bug fixing im guessing since GA wont be able to use the system till tuesday but everyone else will be fine.

inneractive
02-16-2008, 10:06 PM
I think Fred said the brief would be up today, but that the submission system would not be up until Tuesday. That should be fine for us, because our competition threads will be hosted here and we will not need to post a submission immediately.

Mogster
02-16-2008, 10:09 PM
true, but he said only GA would have that problem. couse Ga is directly linked to the system somehow. *shrug*

blakbird
02-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I'd like to hear about the brief soon; just to make up my mind clear and decide easier what to do at this very early stage of thy happening.
I want to imagine and dream.
Weekends are for that i think.
I do not prefer a kind of fresh monday start. I just dont want to try to imagine something whilst trying to tell someone totally not related matters at job.

fktt
02-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Dont think you will need to register on game artisans, unless youre competing for them. Dom war should have its own registration page where you will be able to choose your faction and put the url pointing to your thread. well, over a month or so ago when i went to the DW site to see if i can register,
following the register link it said that i can register on the game artisans site and then use the same account once the comp starts, and i can indeed login with the same account on the DomWar page.. :)

I presume that the account linking to your account here will be possible on monday or the day after then(guessing by what fredH said at GA).. :)

Obmoc
02-16-2008, 11:11 PM
So just passing the time. Waiting on the brief. So I made an Avatar. What do you guys think?

fktt
02-16-2008, 11:16 PM
i think it should also say: WAR!!! ;)

CGTalk to kick butt! :D

heavyness
02-16-2008, 11:21 PM
i would hold off on signing up any where. i know everyone is exciting to begin, but just hold tight and wait for official word. being the first to sign up really doesn't mean anything in this challenge.

and on that note, no one is stopping anyone from sketching and/or practicing some modeling techniques.

Obmoc
02-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah I also thought that quote was appropriate. WAR!!! Any one heard anything about the topic. Any rumors or such I read something on Game Artisians that kinda hinted at Vampires.

Swizzle
02-16-2008, 11:31 PM
HELLS YEAH!

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/rules/index.php

wild-brendan
02-16-2008, 11:37 PM
HELLS YEAH!

You rock Swizzle :applause:

laber
02-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Insignia and Colors:
Your character must possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia (if your team has one). If you don't have the colors or the insignia located somewhere on your character, your entry will not make it into the top 50. Please represent your team properly. This is a team event so make your team proud!
so what are cgtalk´s colors? and do we have a insignia from the last years challenge?

Obmoc
02-16-2008, 11:51 PM
I agree laber this is need to know kinda stuff. Colors and insignia would be perfectto know to start with.

aeonseraph
02-16-2008, 11:55 PM
I agree with laber's question... what is cgtalk's colours?
I suppose Red / Yellow / White
Or... Black / Red / White?
Which is it?

Necronomiden
02-17-2008, 12:20 AM
hey guys, the bastards over in GA.com say they is gonna pwndz us!:twisted:

kukut27
02-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi guys! I'm joining this team again, hope we can work together:thumbsup:

MatthewNovak
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Question: It says,

Insignia and Colors:
Your character must possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia (if your team has one). If you don't have the colors or the insignia located somewhere on your character, your entry will not make it into the top 50. Please represent your team properly. This is a team event so make your team proud!

Do they mean team as you have to make the character with a team and not by yourself. Or do they mean team as in what forum we are participating from, like were on the CGTalk team. And if so, our team colors are red and black right? or what and then insigna do they mean place CGTalk logo somewere on char or what?

Necronomiden
02-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Question: It says,

Insignia and Colors:

Do they mean team as you have to make the character with a team and not by yourself. Or do they mean team as in what forum we are participating from, like were on the CGTalk team. And if so, our team colors are red and black right? or what and then insigna do they mean place CGTalk logo somewere on char or what?

yeah. team means the forum you are siding with, and for what i understand the whole character also has to have the color theme of the forum

Digiegg
02-17-2008, 01:10 AM
could we make our own forum with our work and stuff now?

Necronomiden
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM
i think the war already started dude :D everyone seem to be asleep or sumthing

MAV4d
02-17-2008, 01:38 AM
i think we post in hte domIII forum, but new threads.... right?

Digiegg
02-17-2008, 01:48 AM
fairly quiet on this forum... :hmm:
Other forums are getting riled up about it. Come on guys.

danb
02-17-2008, 02:01 AM
So how does this whole thing work? Do we team up with other people or make our own creations?

LaughingBun
02-17-2008, 02:03 AM
everyone makes there own. But you will be "supporting this forum" and this time we have to work together even more and come up with a logo and colors that we all have to use. But all the work is done individually.

MAV4d
02-17-2008, 02:06 AM
is there a huge storyline that im missing for this? it keeps saying the ultimate weapon or somthing like that, made all electronics go byby, and now theres only magic?

danb
02-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Concept art is done by the individual too?

MAV4d
02-17-2008, 02:35 AM
yes, the idea is yours and yours alone

danb
02-17-2008, 02:37 AM
yes, the idea is yours and yours alone

I see. Thanks.

Digiegg
02-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Anyone intersted in joining Louis and I in Ventrilo?
It's a talking program mainly used for games but him and I just chat and crit each other on modeling most of the time.
Let me know if you guys want to chat about 3D stuff on it.
I'll send the vent information.

Xarxys
02-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Where is the Brief I can't find it on the page?

inneractive
02-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Just got in and check it out myself too. Here is the link Xarxys:

Digiegg: That sounds like a great idea. I have vent too, but am about to go to sleep. Would be cool to meet up with you guys sometime during the comp to exchange ideas and tips.

Danb: There are two competitions, one for concept art and one for 3D game art. I'm doing the 3D comp, so I would have to do the concept art, modeling, texturing, and presentation myself. But as a forum we can work together as a team to give advice, critique, motivate, and also come up with and share team colors and an insignia.

MAV4d: The storyline follows the 3 competitions, but it is only there to create a framework and universe for us to design our characters for. It seems the current storyline was designed to set up a competition geared towards designing magic/fantasy based characters, rather than the sci-fi themed storylines used in the last two competitions.

fktt
02-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Anyone intersted in joining Louis and I in Ventrilo?
sounds great, will have to see about installing it then i guess, cause i know ill be needing every crit i can get.. :D

edit: probably a no-go for me.

Digiegg
02-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Alright guys, if you want come on in and join us in the CG ROOM

here's the vent information:

cobalt.typefrag.com
pw: Thunderfury (Case sensitive)

We'll be in CG ROOM.
To download this voice program: www.ventrilo.com

Hope to hear all your sexy voices soon.
haha.

LavenPillay
02-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Right. Its on.:thumbsup:
Good Luck everyone.

Uhm..one thing though.

Wheres :
- The Excitement ?
- Our Logos ?

Searches for "Dominance War" dont bring up much on the forums here.

I really want to be the CGSociety team, but if theres not much support.....:shrug:

SheriffNotic
02-17-2008, 04:52 AM
@ Digiegg - That's cool, I might have to go get vent too.

Wheres :
- The Excitement ?
- Our Logos ?

Searches for "Dominance War" dont bring up much on the forums here.

I thought CGtalk was really good about feedback and support last year, I don't think you need to worry. You just have to give everyone time to get excited. The brief hasn't even been released on the main DominanceWar page yet, it's just really early. I'm already excited though, as is everyone else who has posted so far here, I think CGTalk will take it this year so come help us and be a part of it!

The WAR...IS...ON!!!

I'm excited, I'm going to go make my placeholder page!

LavenPillay
02-17-2008, 05:18 AM
Groovy!

Thats what I like to hear! ;)

Hey, SherrifNotic, just in case you haven't seen it, heres where you can check out the Rules.

I've been following the GameArtisan Forum, and there've been literally a few hundred posts since midnight on the 15th !

Dunno what the scene's like on the other forums, but CGSociety just seemed quiet compared to that. ;)

Lookin' forward to a great experience!

And with Sci-Fantasy theme ?! F'n AWESOME !!! :applause:

SheriffNotic
02-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Yeah, I'm sketching concepts as we speak. Although there have been a million posts on gameartisans, most have not been very constructive (Lots of pictures of kittens and ducks WTF?!) and amounted too a bunch of kids with ADD in a room full of bouncing balls. I think the CGsociety forums are just a little more reserved in that respect, if we don't have something to say, we don't say it. I think that's part of the power that will net us a victory!!!

LavenPillay, everyone, let's do our best!

Meotwister
02-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Yes, let's lead CGSociety to VICTORY!

Been watching inspirational movies and other idea-producing things in preparation.

I just to walk away feeling like I proved to myself I can do this.

Let's give 'em heck!

Jassar
02-17-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm with CGSociety :)
It's my first time, so correct me if i'm wrong, last time they gave each forum a race to create but this time we are free to choose right?
This is exciting!
Bring it on guys.

etd382
02-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I was wondering about the concept for your model. Does it have to be a very concrete solid concept or can it be loose and kind of act as a guide for your model?

Basically can I do some loose sketchs for armor and then as I model change and tweak stuff around as I see fit?

Thanks, hope that made sense.

AlexNovo
02-17-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm with you guys, what mean [TBA] when we start personal thread for war???

BritBrit
02-17-2008, 10:10 AM
TBA means "To Be Announced". Means folks just want to claim a spot and will post up more details later.

mxdirector
02-17-2008, 11:14 AM
although i plan on being part of the cg society team (not out of loyallty, its just my friend is a 3dtotal man, i just want to beat him).

im am curious, if the best entry is made by a member of the 3d total or what ever then he/she wins it for that whole team? so all the prizes go to memebers of that team?
is that how it works?

mxdirector
02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
also what about nudity. on the breif it says not to have to much.

i ask, because the idea of a topless woman came in to my mind (which is a common event).

but seriously nudity within the art context is refreshingly mature. i would assume breasts would be allowed. but what about genitals? i personally wouldnt see that as off limits, although my views may be opposed to the contest at hand.

eMysfit
02-17-2008, 12:05 PM
although i plan on being part of the cg society team (not out of loyallty, its just my friend is a 3dtotal man, i just want to beat him).

im am curious, if the best entry is made by a member of the 3d total or what ever then he/she wins it for that whole team? so all the prizes go to memebers of that team?
is that how it works?

Teams by forums is just how the contest is set up. The individuals will win the prizes. In a sense we are all competing against each other even if we're on the same team, if you look at it as going for the prizes. They set up the team thing to help interact with one another more and drive the theme of message boards vs message boards.

So basically while we support one another on our own forum only the best of the individuals on the teams will come forth and claim the prizes.

Hope that helps. And good luck!

eMysfit
02-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm with CGSociety :)
It's my first time, so correct me if i'm wrong, last time they gave each forum a race to create but this time we are free to choose right?
This is exciting!
Bring it on guys.

Yeah it says that we're free to make 'any organic, demonic or undead race: Alien, vampire, angel, succubus, skeleton, mutant, elf, human, fish, pixy, treant, giant... Anything! Only exception: No robots, cyborgs, steam engines, or anything with electronics.'

Here's a question for you all though. If there's no technology now and has been so long since it existed how are we so effecient in space travel to be carrying out an intergalactic war? haha...just been wondering that since I first read the brief.

AlexNovo
02-17-2008, 12:21 PM
TBA means "To Be Announced". Means folks just want to claim a spot and will post up more details later.
Thanks a lot for description:)

LavenPillay
02-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Here's a question for you all though. If there's no technology now and has been so long since it existed how are we so effecient in space travel to be carrying out an intergalactic war? haha...just been wondering that since I first read the brief.

Hey, there eMysfit.

Don't sweat it, they've covered that with wormholes :

"Your mission, with the help of a powerful magical artifact (read below), is to enter an ancient forgotten world via wormholes, destroy all rival enemy forces sent by other planets, crush the awakening machines, and bring back the secret of technology in order to dominate all opposing forces, their planets and their wretched citizens once and for all!!"

TonyEdwards
02-17-2008, 03:05 PM

So what do I put in place of TBA now that I have more of an idea for my character?

Should it be "race/class/weapon"?

eMysfit
02-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey, there eMysfit.

Don't sweat it, they've covered that with wormholes :

I actually saw that now that you've shown me again haha. I guess that explains it then. I tend to forget small parts when I'm focused on others.

RedFish
02-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Wow am I glad I checked this thread to find the rules, the website still is not updated even though the contest started almost 2 days ago, I have been checking it regularly. Thanks for providing the link, now I can get started even if it is a day late!

inneractive
02-17-2008, 04:02 PM
So what do I put in place of TBA now that I have more of an idea for my character?

Should it be "race/class/weapon"?

You'll probably want to put the name of your character or title of your project that you will use when creating your submission.

RedFish: Don't worry it hasn't been 2 days. The brief just went up late last night. Been like 12 hours.

AlexNovo
02-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Guys how can i add name of character later to my name of thread??? Just i try today add TBA letters to the name of thread but it dont added, only in post topic added.

heavyness
02-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Guys how can i add name of character later to my name of thread??? Just i try today add TBA letters to the name of thread but it dont added, only in post topic added.

update: please visit this url for thread renaming...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=597308

don't PM me or any other mods to change your thread title for DMIII.

i need two things...

1] give me the direct url to your thread
2] new name of the thread

i'll try to change it ASAP.

AlexNovo
02-17-2008, 05:54 PM
please PM me [not the other mods] to change your thread title for DMIII.

Thanks you so much! As soon as i will finally decide i will PM you. Thanks again for help!

jocz
02-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Stalkers and warlords have to choose between magic weapons OR magic armor ?

There is a big disccussion about winning pose rendering on GA ... just take a look http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2171&page=12

aeonseraph
02-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey guys, i have one really lame question :D
Summoning weapon... it means that for example character can summon various mystic creatures using this kind of weapon?
Sorry, i guess my brains are offline for a moment so help XD

Wizdoc
02-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Anyone have a wireframe image of a character with 7000 tris laying around? I have never done a game res character and would like an idea how far I can push the base mesh.

Slux
02-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Anyone have a wireframe image of a character with 7000 tris laying around? I have never done a game res character and would like an idea how far I can push the base mesh.

You can check out entries form last year here
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/2/index.htm

but you need to be registered to see constructions shots

or you can just visit people's old threads from last year
for example here is the winner of the last competition
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=49528

budget was 6000 tris

prayas
02-17-2008, 10:04 PM
by the way. they upped the tri limit to 9.000. just for infomation.

P..:

SeanB
02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Very exciting, seems like a wide range of styles should come out of this one, assuming we don't ALL pick fire or void. Raising the poly limit to 9000 makes sense. Even 9000 isn't really nextgen, and once you figure in props, smooth facial deformation, and the all-important arifact, you'll need all those polys.

I don't exactly follow the rather heated debate on custom shaders over on GA. I understand that these guys have a workflow which they are used to, and which indeed may be more realistic in the current game dev biz, but if we have to dumb down the requirements in order to provide a level playing field, I have no problem with that.

I had a great time following everyone's work last time, and I look forward to seeing what you all come up with this time. Hopefully I can deliver a more compelling end result than my wrinkly pink warrior.

fx81
02-18-2008, 12:18 AM
nice theme this year! very tempting.

btw, what is the deal with people reserving their spots. its not like there are limited seats or anything :D

Rezeroth
02-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi guys, im kinda new around here. Just an enquiry, are there dates/timelines to meet up to? like the model sheets/ rough thumbs..is there a specific time and date to post that on your thread or as long as those model sheets are posted along with everything else before the final dateline will be fine?

Thank you..

joed8349
02-18-2008, 02:45 AM
Hi guys, im kinda new around here. Just an enquiry, are there dates/timelines to meet up to? like the model sheets/ rough thumbs..is there a specific time and date to post that on your thread or as long as those model sheets are posted along with everything else before the final dateline will be fine?

Thank you..

You have to update your forum thread as you go, and then have final images by the deadline. If you wait too long to put up information/images of your work in progress you can be disqualified. They don't want people waiting until the week before the deadline to start showing their work and ideas - it brings up the idea of cheating or using previously created work.

Rezeroth
02-18-2008, 02:52 AM
joed8349 - I see... Thanks there.. so just post it up as soon as possible and i assume that the judges will be around checking out the threads already? and one more thing.. about naming your own thread right? what does [TBA] mean...most of everyone has that at the end of their thread name? Sorry if i'm asking dumb questions but i really hope someone could clarify this so i dont make any mistakes... Go CGS!!! we can do this! :D

heavyness
02-18-2008, 03:25 AM
nice theme this year! very tempting.

btw, what is the deal with people reserving their spots. its not like there are limited seats or anything :D

first 50 people to reserve their spots in the DMIII get a year supply of "DMIII Chewing Gum" [the gum that tastes like blood, sweet, and tears!].

...no reason, people are just exciting and want to get going on it.

Rezeroth : TBA = to be announced.

TheBladeRoden
02-18-2008, 04:22 AM
Why can't I alter the title of my thread?

mestizo
02-18-2008, 04:42 AM
I just want to be clear on the polycount 7000 triangles or 7000 polys? Anyone know?

-mestizo

heavyness
02-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Why can't I alter the title of my thread?

you could never changed the title of your thread on cgsociety. PM and tell me what thread and what to change it to.

SheriffNotic
02-18-2008, 08:20 AM
I just want to be clear on the polycount 7000 triangles or 7000 polys? Anyone know?

Check the updated rules mestizo, the count has been raised to 9000 polys. Polys pretty much always = tris in the game world (I'll be going by tris at least to be safe). I'm not sure what the 'official' word is though, anyone know for sure?

Slux
02-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Polys pretty much always = tris in the game world (I'll be going by tris at least to be safe). I'm not sure what the 'official' word is though, anyone know for sure?

Yeah these are tris for sure, it has been like that for all past competitons

-Slux

OKMER
02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
hi,thought i heard talking about generals?What is this and when do they appear,(if my brain isn't tricking me :D

riu
02-18-2008, 01:49 PM
i'm pretty stoked about this, I'll have a thread for my concept up later tonight after I get some revisions and scan it.

LavenPillay
02-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Hey guys, just in case you aint seen it, heres dome info from Fred :

Jassar, you were right about hand-held. I only read the seond post. Silly boy. :)

superclops, it should be a hand held weapon. It's true that an ultimate artifact can be anything that resonates power, but for this comp, it'd be better if you kept your powerful weapons clearly shown as something hand held and something everyone is already familiar with as being a weapon (sword, gun, scepter, mace, axe, staff, rod, wand etc).

superclops --> Interesting. Where did you find in the rules that says Invokers or clericons can not use their hands to wield or cast magic? Spellcasters do what they always do, use themselves to cast magic. Artifacts just give them additional powers. The artifact can be used to maybe enhance their spells, or it can be used to launch effects of their own. It's up to you

TheBladeRoden
02-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey guys, just in case you aint seen it, heres dome info from Fred :
superclops, it should be a hand held weapon. It's true that an ultimate artifact can be anything that resonates power, but for this comp, it'd be better if you kept your powerful weapons clearly shown as something hand held and something everyone is already familiar with as being a weapon (sword, gun, scepter, mace, axe, staff, rod, wand etc).

Jassar, you were right about hand-held. I only read the seond post. Silly boy. :)

Will this ring in doom for my endclock artifact? :sad: (no pun intended)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=596522

FrozenSceptre
02-18-2008, 07:59 PM
There was a rule update:

"The rules have been updated.

Additions...

Race:
You can create any organic, demonic or undead race: Alien, vampire, angel, succubus, skeleton, mutant, elf, human, fish, pixy, treant, giant... Anything! Only exception: No robots, metal constructs, magical golums, cyborgs, steam engines, steam equipment or anything with electronics."

found at: http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2206

aeonseraph
02-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the update ^^

heavyness
02-18-2008, 09:42 PM
please don't PM me [or the other mods] to change your thread title for DMIII. just visit the link below.

i need two things...

1] give me the direct url to your thread
2] new name of the thread

i'll try to change it ASAP.

update: please visit the below link for thread renaming...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=597308

XTitan
02-19-2008, 09:29 AM
it's 9000 Triangles now, it used to be 7000 if I'm not going completely crazy.

Also, it says:
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/images/ball.gif 1 x 2048 Color Map
*1 x 2048 Reflection Map
*1 x 2048 Specular Map
*1 x 2048 Specular Color Map
*1 x 2048 Normal Map
*1 x 2048 Bump Map
*1 x 2048 Opacity(transparency) Map
*1 x 2048 Glow map
*1 x 2048 Glossiness map
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/images/spacing.gif
*Optional
Important - You can not break your 2048 sheets into smaller sheets.

Does this mean you can use all the other maps as well? In accompaniment of your Color map, to make a total of 9 maps?

Just want to make sure.

Thanks

Slux
02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Does this mean you can use all the other maps as well? In accompaniment of your Color map, to make a total of 9 maps?

Yes you can use all 9 of them but only color map is required others are optional. Its quite a lots of maps.

- Slux

Prosvirnin
02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Question: If I drawing 4 different characters in 2D, I must start and keep 4 threads ?
Thanks.

MikeHill
02-19-2008, 06:41 PM
i have a question about weapons

i want my weapon to be made up of 3 seperate, floating objects, all will have the same design, and be the same object, i just want 3 of them, but there is a sentence in the rules that i'm not sure if i'm really breaking with this design

"Your character must wield a single artifact or a pair of similar artifacts (two scimitars, two daggers"

can anyone help?

thank you for any help :)

CompanionCube
02-19-2008, 06:43 PM
(Sorry Some one else was logged in on my computer, didn't realise and posted with thier account, its actually my question)

i have a question about weapons
i want my weapon to be made up of 3 seperate, floating objects, all will have the same design, and be the same object, i just want 3 of them, but there is a sentence in the rules that i'm not sure if i'm really breaking with this design

"Your character must wield a single artifact or a pair of similar artifacts (two scimitars, two daggers"

can anyone help?

thank you for any help :)

Slux
02-19-2008, 07:14 PM
i have a question about weapons ....

Well you have to have one Artifact OR two same artifacts as it says in rules
on top of that you can have umlimited amount of non artifact weapons but artifact need to be there and this artifact also have to use one of these energies that are in rules

So if these floating weapons are artifacts you can have only two of them and they need to be same.

I think that FredH said that artifact should be preferably some kind of hand held weapon and that it should be obvious that it is artifact (look powerful) but I'am not sure how important is to follow this

- Slux

CompanionCube
02-19-2008, 08:35 PM
thanks for reply slux.

but say maybe i have 2 gloves or a helmet as the artifact but i want show that they control these floaty objects, do the floaty objects count as artifacts or just as the magical, elemental effect of them?

thanks for any help :)

CompanionCube
02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
just to add, if my artifacts element was summoning surely i would summon something that would be whole seperate object, for example in final fantasy when u summon?

thanks for any help :)

Slux
02-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Hmm this little bit more difficult as far as rules are concerned. We could speculate what is and isn't artifact but it would be better if you would ask moderators of this competition if its ok or not.

You can go here and ask them
http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

- Slux

Alamus
02-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Is it against rules to use a pre-existing original character that is altered to fit into the rules of the contest?

heavyness
02-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Is it against rules to use a pre-existing original character that is altered to fit into the rules of the contest?

i would say yeah. most CG challenges want you working from scratch [that is why no one knew the topic... to give everyone a fair chance]. throwing a cape and a sword on an old character wouldn't be in good spirits of the challenge.

but, i know a lot of CG artists who have a stockpile of simple models/meshes that they use as a starting point... and there is nothing wrong with that.

Slux
02-20-2008, 07:28 AM

Yes its definitely against rules .... it says "All sketches, ideas, concepts, models, 3d meshes etc must be made specifically for this competition."

In other words everything needs to be build from scratch.

-Slux

Slux
02-20-2008, 07:37 AM
but, i know a lot of CG artists who have a stockpile of simple models/meshes that they use as a starting point... and there is nothing wrong with that.

Well this has been debated over GA and they said that some small stuff like bolts, nuts and cogs and other greeble would be ok but anything bigger would be against rules, that would include even so popular base meshes that so many people start with.

But I guess it would be fairly difficult to figure out if you have used some of your old stuff or not so they mostly relay on honesty of artists.

-Slux

prayas
02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
will there be a challenge page on cgtalk.com like the one GA.org is havin with this nice thumbnail gallery?

P..:

Leshiy3d
02-20-2008, 08:03 PM
the same question

is there any chance to view sweet thumbnail preview with each thread?
like here http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132 or at cgland site

and... split 2D and 3D to separated threads

that would be pretty good

chihiroko
02-20-2008, 10:25 PM
the same question

is there any chance to view sweet thumbnail preview with each thread?
like here http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132 or at cgland site

and... split 2D and 3D to separated threads

that would be pretty good

totally agree!!:bounce:

innactpro
02-21-2008, 01:36 AM
The rules for 3D state:

5. Concept Sheet
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/images/ball.gif Dimensions: 1000w x 1000h pixels - 350k file size
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/images/spacing.gif http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/images/ball.gif Any preliminary sketches, concepts, paintings, or photo references that helped you create your 3d character can be shown on this single sheet.

I am relying heavily on images from internet searches. I have asked permission form the various contacts of the sites from where images have been borrowed. Not everyone has gotten back with me. I wonder if it is alright to use images without permission, as long as credit is given and a link to their sites provided. This isn't for profit, but will be public display of others works. I'm just not really sure how this would work in a contest.

Slux
02-21-2008, 07:40 AM
The rules for 3D state:

5. Concept Sheet
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/images/ball.gif Dimensions: 1000w x 1000h pixels - 350k file size
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/images/spacing.gif http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/images/ball.gif Any preliminary sketches, concepts, paintings, or photo references that helped you create your 3d character can be shown on this single sheet.

I am relying heavily on images from internet searches. I have asked permission form the various contacts of the sites from where images have been borrowed. Not everyone has gotten back with me. I wonder if it is alright to use images without permission, as long as credit is given and a link to their sites provided. This isn't for profit, but will be public display of others works. I'm just not really sure how this would work in a contest.

Well concept sheets are optional not mandatory so its depends on you if you want to show them at all and what exactly you are going to show there. You could have done hundred sketches and show only one of them or non. Its has been also said that you could put there your character story (if you have one) because this year its not possible to have your story along your final entry because of some multi language problems.

Its also worth of noting that using pre-existing images is forbidden by rules. If you use images of other people just for inspiration and your final design will be your own you should be fine as long as your design is different enough.

- Slux

innactpro
02-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Well concept sheets are optional not mandatory...

I'm doing the 3D portion, and the 3D Guidelines (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/submissions/index.php)state, "The following images and text must be submitted to complete your entry:" The word must implies that a concept sheet, listed number 5 of the images and text that must be submitted, is mandatory. And nothing is mentioned of a back story. Unless there has been a rules change that hasn't been updated yet.

And yes, the images I would use are for reference only. I won't be modeling someone else's concept or design.

CharlesVarenne
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
I was wondering, can we participate in other forum.
I mean:

-can we create a 2d thread on 1 forum and a 3d thread on an other forum?

-can we post comments on any other forum beside the one we registered for the
competition ?

Didnt find any restriction on that.

Slux
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm doing the 3D portion, and the 3D Guidelines (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/submissions/index.php)state, "The following images and text must be submitted to complete your entry:" The word must implies that a concept sheet, listed number 5 of the images and text that must be submitted, is mandatory. And nothing is mentioned of a back story. Unless there has been a rules change that hasn't been updated yet.

And yes, the images I would use are for reference only. I won't be modeling someone else's concept or design.

Well I'am not sure how its handled technically, its possible that it would require to send all images for your final entry (last year it was like that) but you could always send just blank picture or may be just couple of stick figures or your back strory.

You certainly don't need back story but you can have one if you want.

anyway here is direct quote from FredH who organize this contest

concepts are not required for 3d entries. They are optional. Feel free to show your story on your concept sheet when you hand in your finals. Could be cool to see a little history on your creation

-Slux

BigErn
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I have a quick question regarding these regulations.

•No Teams or groups. Everything must be made by 1 person.
•All sketches, ideas, concepts, models, 3d meshes etc must be made specifically for this competition.

So, everthing has to be created for this comp, :thumbsup:
Does that mean that I, myself, me.. has to create the 2d concept also? I saw last years winner had at least 1 other person helping with concept, and the winner made the final model on his own.....

is that allowed or has that now changed?? :shrug:

innactpro
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Well I'am not sure how its handled technically, its possible that it would require to send all images for your final entry (last year it was like that) but you could always send just blank picture or may be just couple of stick figures or your back strory.

-Slux

Well, if that is what Fred says, then I guess that's ok. I don't really have time to look a too many posts, and never saw that from Fred. I had only the rules as they are posted to go by.

Thanks for the information Slux and good luck.

Slux
02-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Does that mean that I, myself, me.. has to create the 2d concept also?
is that allowed or has that now changed?? :shrug:

Yes it has changed now, you need to create everything yourself so no 3D artist + concept artist allowed. You need to create your own concepts and everything else as well.

-Slux

joed8349
02-21-2008, 01:38 PM

-Slux

More than likely, the judges will select someone with some decent concept art/sketches and background info than someone with out any of these. It may not be listed in the rules, but they'll want to know about the process that led to your creation, too.

danb
02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Where is the link for the info? Is CGSociety going to officially anounce this with a banner?

ronbravo
02-21-2008, 03:04 PM
This is fun. I was wondering, we have a post for spying on other forums, could we have a post on some of the more popular entries from this forum?

NoirQ
02-21-2008, 03:25 PM
do I need to do T-Pose's at all? I can;t see anywhere that mentions it, some of my stuff might be easier to do inpose that's all :)

Anitarf
02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
This is fun. I was wondering, we have a post for spying on other forums, could we have a post on some of the more popular entries from this forum?
Another useful thread would be one that "spies" on those who run the contest; basicaly, a thread with quotes and links to all posts where someone in charge of the contest explains in more detail what certain rules mean and what the judges will be looking for in submissions.

Edit: perhaps an addendum to the already existing "getting started/what you need to know about DWIII" thread?

Imagus
02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Good to finally find out, yesterday, that the contest had started several days ago... I had been naively relying on email notifications and a different Dominance War III information thread. Now that I know, I've pretty much gotten up to speed with what's going on.

I had originally planned to participate, but with a 9000 tri limit, it seems as though the entries will, of necessity, have to include a high-poly rendered normal map on a game model created with an industry-standard 3D application to even be considered for the competition.

I do not own zBrush, and the only decent 3D application I have is the non-game-industry-standard Lightwave 9. I do own both Photoshop and Painter IX/X, but recent feedback on my work has indicated that my character drawing skills are sorely lacking.

Given all this, I may have to give this contest a "pass". It feels as though I would be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Anitarf
02-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Given all this, I may have to give this contest a "pass". It feels as though I would be bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Hey, you could still participate; if not for the prizes then at least for fun. You could also do it as a learning experience; download the 30 day trial version of Zbrush and try learning enough of it to make the contest entry in that time; that's what I'm planning to do.

Slux
02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Another useful thread would be one that "spies" on those who run the contest; basicaly, a thread with quotes and links to all posts where someone in charge of the contest explains in more detail what certain rules mean and what the judges will be looking for in submissions.

Edit: perhaps an addendum to the already existing "getting started/what you need to know about DWIII" thread?

Well there is already thread like that on GA
http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2193

As far as judging goes rules for that are here
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/judges/index.php

officially they will look for:
3D judging is based on, but not limited to, the following criteria:
Incomplete
Incomplete entries can still be submitted, but they will not be judged.

Wow Factor
Is your entry eye catching? Does your entry look like it can destroy rival planet forces and at the same time, defend itself from machines? Is your entry liked by most judges?

The Silhoutte
Does your entry look good from all angles?

Technical
Does your entry look well made? Good texturing technique? Good polygon distribution? Nice lighting? Good details on the highres model (if normal mapped)?

Presentation
Are all your images presented well together?

But in the end its all matter of taste so I guess It would be very difficult to predict what will judges like.

-Slux

jamesylvester
02-21-2008, 07:52 PM
hi eveyone, this is my first time modelling a "game" character and i have a few questions

firstly the shaders
what are non node-based shaders? are they the max standard shaders? are they any good or will i be better using hl2 shaders? i own HL2 are the shaders in my file system somewhere and can i open them with max?

i was also wondering about smooth/meshsmooth modifyers, can i use them or does that increase polycount?

thanks alot

im using 3ds max if that makes a difference

Slux
02-21-2008, 09:11 PM
hi eveyone, this is my first time modelling a "game" character and i have a few questions

firstly the shaders
what are non node-based shaders? are they the max standard shaders? are they any good or will i be better using hl2 shaders? i own HL2 are the shaders in my file system somewhere and can i open them with max?

i was also wondering about smooth/meshsmooth modifyers, can i use them or does that increase polycount?

thanks alot

im using 3ds max if that makes a difference

As i understand it you can olny use these shaders that ships with MAX so something like Phong, Blinn or whatever else is in max by default i don't use max so i don't know what is there. Non node-based shaders well i understand it that you can't use any extra nodes that are not already part of that basic shader... lets say you take Phong shader and than connect to it some Fresnel effect node or ramp node or mix colors node or something like that, you couldn't do that you would need to use only Phong shader as it is and only connect to it texture maps that it allows.

-Slux

OKMER
02-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Do our creatures have to battle machines only on the other side of the wormholes?
Because if they do, dark & soul catching artifacts are not really a great help, are they?

Slux
02-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Do our creatures have to battle machines only on the other side of the wormholes?
Because if they do, dark & soul catching artifacts are not really a great help, are they?

"destroy all rival enemy forces sent by other planets, crush the awakening machines, and bring back the secret of technology in order to dominate all opposing forces, their planets and their wretched citizens once and for all!!"

Well it says that you should destroy all forces from other planets (remaining 8 forums) + machine world. So there should be still enough souls to catch/destroy :)

Imagus
02-22-2008, 04:24 PM

i was also wondering about smooth/meshsmooth modifyers, can i use them or does that increase polycount?For game modeling, you absolutely do not want to use smooth/meshsmooth modifiers. These are used to create high-poly characters - think Pixar and the like. For game modeling, you want strict control over your polygon count. As such, keep the polygons unaltered.

That said, you can use the basic model with a Meshsmooth modifier as a starting point for a high-poly version of your model, which can then be rendered as a normal map and applied to your low-poly model. For reference, a normal map is the real-time equivalent of a bump map, and plugins exist to apply the bump map generated by a high-poly version of a model to a low-poly version of that model.

For now, just keep in mind that you should be working with the polygons as polygons, not patched/smoothed surfaces.

Hope this helps.

danb
02-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Woah, wait a second. Is this only open to max, maya and xsi users?

I model and rig with cinema 4d and texture with bodypaint. Also use Zbrush for nomal mapping. Is this ok?

Slux
02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Woah, wait a second. Is this only open to max, maya and xsi users?

I model and rig with cinema 4d and texture with bodypaint. Also use Zbrush for nomal mapping. Is this ok?

I'am pretty sure there are no application restrictions as long as you are not breaking that shader rule. So you should be fine with these applications you have mentioned above.

- Slux

Anitarf
02-22-2008, 05:04 PM
The entry system seems to be online. Here's a link to our forum's list of competitors:
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/team3/view_entries.html

It's still pretty empty, time to fill it up. I'll contribute as soon as I decide on a thumbnail image. :)

danb
02-22-2008, 06:06 PM
I'am pretty sure there are no application restrictions as long as you are not breaking that shader rule. So you should be fine with these applications you have mentioned above.

- Slux

How do i come up with the shaders then? Am i supposed to do a render with those shaders?

First time in this competition so lots of questions. :)

Do i just make my model in low polygon and submit textures, models and normal maps?

OmeN2501
02-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Any chances of creating 2D 3D subforums? its getting kinda messy now with all in one place

Gyorkland
02-22-2008, 08:04 PM
do I have to upgrade my acount to premium to participate?
please answer me I really want to enter DWIII

heavyness
02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
do I have to upgrade my acount to premium to participate?
please answer me I really want to enter DWIII

no, anyone can enter [if you pay or not]

heavyness
02-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Any chances of creating 2D 3D subforums? its getting kinda messy now with all in one place

i don't know. i wouldn't want to separate the 2 because that will decrease the amount of traffic every thread gets. more eyes on something, the better.

besides, you can go here and view the thumbnails by 2d, 3d, or both...

OmeN2501
02-23-2008, 12:22 AM
So how about thumbnails to the threads like in showcase gallery, that would help greatly in navigation (yea I know, I'm high maintenance :P)

SashaP
02-23-2008, 12:31 AM
I made a thread, but it hasn't shown up yet... do the threads have to be approved first? And if so, do I get informed on whether or not it was posted?

SheriffNotic
02-23-2008, 04:39 AM
No, it shows up fine. Here is a link, maybe you missed it because it got pushed off the page?

Sasha Placio DWIII 2D entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=599267)

heavyness
02-23-2008, 04:41 AM
I made a thread, but it hasn't shown up yet... do the threads have to be approved first? And if so, do I get informed on whether or not it was posted?

yeah, all new members have to get ok'ed first. shouldn't take to long.

So how about thumbnails to the threads like in showcase gallery, that would help greatly in navigation (yea I know, I'm high maintenance :P)

i working/looking into it.

SheriffNotic
02-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Ooh, sorry I was misinformed.

sakanagih
02-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi, guys. Can i enter in the D WARIII with more than one charater or its Against the rules?If i can i have to make thread for each one?

prayas
02-24-2008, 10:06 AM
just for info: how long does it take to get your entrance approved? Do i have to do more than fill in information and upload a thumbnail for a start? Right now i have been waiting 2 days and my post is not showing on the entrance page.

P..:

heavyness
02-25-2008, 05:43 AM
CGSociety logo/insignia poll is now open!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=600126

heavyness
02-26-2008, 07:48 AM
congrats to aeonseraph (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?userid=230924) and design #3...

http://www.heavyness.com/cgtalk/dmiii/logo/three.jpg

this logo will represent CGSociety in the DMIII contest! [downloadable version coming soon].

Insignia and Colors:
Your character must possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia (if your team has one). If you don't have the colors or the insignia located somewhere on your character, your entry will not make it into the top 50. Please represent your team properly. This is a team event so make your team proud! [link (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/rules/index.php)]

AlexNovo
02-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Super! My congrats to aeonseraph (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?userid=230924) too, waiting vector source:)

joed8349
02-26-2008, 04:24 PM
I like the design, but I hope only the center red has to be used, and not the background black and grey, because that wouldn't make much sense.

heavyness
02-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I like the design, but I hope only the center red has to be used, and not the background black and grey, because that wouldn't make much sense.

yeah, only the center red is going to be used.

XTitan
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I feel stupid asking.

How do I update my THUMBNAIL for my entry :D

Thanks for your help in advance :)

HELP HELP HELP

jocz
02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Your character must possess your team's colors and/or your team's insignia

so we can just put the logo somewhere whitout taking any specials colors. Or play with the cgs colors, without use the logo, Or put the colors AND the logo. All 3 option are ok. Am I wrong ?
Do the judges take into the count that we use both or just one of two ?

heavyness
02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
so we can just put the logo somewhere whitout taking any specials colors. Or play with the cgs colors, without use the logo, Or put the colors AND the logo. All 3 option are ok. Am I wrong ?
Do the judges take into the count that we use both or just one of two ?

correct. you could just use the logo, or the colors, or both. i plan on making the logo embossed on my armor. might not use the colors... but probably.

XTitan
02-27-2008, 05:04 AM
When it says double sided polygons are acceptible, does that mean we need two polygons back to back for a thin object on our charcter or does it mean we can use one polygon but have a double sided texture?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

House
02-27-2008, 05:11 AM
Just to make sure, can I have a summoned fire monster or does this count as mixing two elements?

Quote:

Artifact Weapon:
Powerful artifact weapons are needed to defeat all opposing rival forces and to destroy the awakening machines. Your character must wield a single artifact or a pair of similar artifacts (two scimitars, two daggers etc). Artifacts must possess one of these following magical energy types (no combinations, example, no Fire/lava + Vegetation):

SheriffNotic
02-27-2008, 05:37 AM
When it says double sided polygons are acceptible, does that mean we need two polygons back to back for a thin object on our charcter or does it mean we can use one polygon but have a double sided texture?

I'm no moderator but I'm pretty much certain this means you can have 2 sided textures (or if your taking viewport screengrabs in max, you can just turn off the normal check (Backface Culling) in the object's properties window. Two polygons back to back would go without saying (and possibly cause a zsorting mess >< )

Just to make sure, can I have a summoned fire monster or does this count as mixing two elements?

I distinctly remember a post on GameArtisans where fredH said the summoned creatures can be any element but I just tried to find it and I couldn't (there have been a LOT of rules discussions over there, and it's hard to find one singular post) so if anyone else also remembers that post and can have a bit better luck then me finding it, please quote it for House.

musk
02-27-2008, 08:43 AM
This may sound stupid but what are the official colors of the team? Is it the colors used in the logo or is the the white, red, black from the cgsociety logo? Or is it something totally different?

aeonseraph
02-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Thank you guys, im so happy about this :) I think everyone did great job.

Super! My congrats to aeonseraph (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?userid=230924) too, waiting vector source:)

Thanx Alex, i already sent vector version to Heavyness, so i think today it will be available for downloading :bounce:

Slux
02-27-2008, 01:25 PM
This may sound stupid but what are the official colors of the team? Is it the colors used in the logo or is the the white, red, black from the cgsociety logo? Or is it something totally different?

Its Red and Black

if you want to see colors for other teams as well just visit this link and with mouse hover over the logos and and it will show you right team colors

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/en/index.htm

-Slux

musk
02-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the info slux should have turned on javascript for the site to see the hover.:D

dmonk
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
i don't know. i wouldn't want to separate the 2 because that will decrease the amount of traffic every thread gets. more eyes on something, the better.

besides, you can go here and view the thumbnails by 2d, 3d, or both...

Does my entry not show up because I have been using attachments?

I could easily upload them to my server space.