PDA

View Full Version : Horse and Scientist Shots

jfalgout
01-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey animators,

These two shots are just about done. I want you guys to critique them so they can be that much better for my reel. Be as picky as you wish. Thanks for checking out my work.

Horse Shot (http://www.justinfalgout.com/Quadruped.mov)
Scientist Shot (http://www.justinfalgout.com/Lasers_Dialogue.mov)

Cheers,
Justin

I appologize if the download is a bit slow.

Saihtam
01-29-2008, 03:21 PM
for the galop, it's a really nice animation. Where I think you can improve (but i can be wrong) is for the jump, I find that there is a lack of anticipation, I would see the front of the horse goring more down before to jump. also the landing is a bit strange... I see that you show the impact by making it stumble but looking at this position, I don't see how he could not fall...

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=K5HxfUN6mXg

I think the second front leg should delay a tiny bit more before touching the ground and help the front part of the horse to go back up.

Hope that make sense

For the scientist animation, there is not enough facial animation.

Vidar3d
01-30-2008, 05:04 AM
Great job on the quadriped. I really like the gallop you had going but I agree that it looks like the horse would not have quite made the landing.

Really good start with the scientist. I would say all the posed could be pushed to show all little more exaggeration.

Great stuff though

jfalgout
01-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I was really surprised that horses could jump that high and make the landing too. Here is one of the references I used

Horse Jump (http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/SearchDetails.aspx?searchText=horse+jump&type=Simple&itemId=c02a0f8f-7276-4f21-8ecf-cd0d324293f9)
(www.bbcmotiongallery.com has some really great reference)

You guys are right about the antic before the jump though, it needs to be pushed a little more. I'll work on these shots some more and post some updates when I get the chance. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Justin

DavidWeinstein
01-31-2008, 07:52 AM
The horse gallop is awesome! I would pull the camera up on that horse and polish that off. That alone would be good demo reel material right there. Really polish that run off :)

The jump does need some work. Why don't you make life easier and lower that rock he jumps over. The anticipation and the landing needs work. Get the head to lead the anticipation - followed by the chest - then the hips. Dipping down - then rising up for the jump. Off set it all the way down through the body. It should have a loose and fleshy "wave effect" type feeling when the leap happens. It will roll through the body if you time it correctly. And the same when he lands.

You tried to make the horse look like he stumbled when he lands - the neck and head jerk down to sharp. Smooth this out, and make it feel loose and weighty. NOT floaty - don't fall for that.

I would remove the stumbling action a focus on making the horse look smooth and nice when lands. A clean landing. Get the neck/ head to drag and overlap and take the hit as the weight slams onto his front hoofs! Watch more reference, you'll get it. Keep that same weighty and loose fleshy feeling in the landing and ride it out.

If you really wanted to be creative and step up... make the horse fall on the landing. Not many people take the test of showing something like that. Try something different and stand out ;)

The acting piece needs a lot of work. I would again - pull the camera UP on the character. We are too far away. And also, watch some more movies of your favorite actors. Watch REAL actors - not Toy Story :)

Try to act more with the face, shoulders, chest and head... and less with the hands and arms. People don't talk with their hands like that. Try to really capture the dialogue - video tape yourself and watch yourself in the mirror as you act out the line - attitude - personality. Making a character wave his hands/ arms around looks like bad acting. Don't fall for that bag of tricks. It has to move for a reason! You should be able to sell the line with the arms/hands hidden. Try starting with the body/shoulders/neck/head only. If you can sell me with just those areas, then adding some nice facial animation - arm - hand poses will top it off like hot fudge on ice cream. Try it.

Kid-Mesh
01-31-2008, 07:47 PM
jfalgout - Dude...this horse is insane! I really love what you have going on with it thus far. The critiques you have are about spot on respecitively. My two cents is the same issue as everyone else. The jump. For me it all boils down to the basic fundamental of squash and stretch and anticipation.

FR 93 - Horse is basically squashed at this point. (weak)
FR 113 - Horse is stretched seemingly again after being stretched during the past frames
FR 166 - Horse should have fallen over. Also you could have used some overlapp and follow-through with the hind quarters playing catch up.

Basically, for the jump if your going to keep that rock in play. Concentrate on the anticipation and really squash the hell out of the horse so it's compact. Head down, neck tucked in and the hind quarters playing a roll in balling him up too. This is will make the leap seem more believable because we can watch the build up of inertia.

What was weird is that at FR 99 the horse is strecthed and then at FR 113 he is strecthed even more. I must of watched this 10x then scrubbed through it a number of times more to figure out exactly why it wasnt working for me.

Although, I whole heartedly agree with DavidWeinstein about the fall. That would really set you apart and show some skill. Go for it man. I'm envious as heck because overall this is one of the better horse animations I've seen.

Nice work!

oh and the scientist animation....dude your silly (rofl). My suggestion at this point would be this. If you have not acted this out yourself I would start there. Record yourself acting it out and see what you can come up with. Good luck!

jfalgout
01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
David - I can't say enough! Thanks for taking the time to look at my shots so thoroughly and giving some excellent feedback. Its funny that you mention having the horse fall because I originally wanted to do the fall, but I cut it because I wasn't sure I could finish it with my time constraints. But, I'm way ahead of schedule, so I'll give it another shot, probably in a seperate test or as a second horse in the scene.

Kid-Mesh - Thanks for getting in there and scrubbing through the horse frame by frame and outlining all the problems you saw. Its really helps having a fresh pair of eyes look at it. I got the same suggestion about the scientist from one of my instructors. I'll be making some major changes.

Again, I really appreicate you guys taking the time to help me out so much. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.