PDA

View Full Version : EIM/EIAS request

cjberg
01-29-2008, 03:18 AM
Have EIAS use native EIM files... no export, no convert... just add EIM model. And I should also be able to edit the model in EIM, and have the model AUTOMAGICALLY updated in EIAS...

(save in EIM notifies EIAS that the file has been updated)

Cj

fantomaz
02-01-2008, 11:39 AM
That, of course, would be REALLY nice!

cjberg
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
It would also be handy, while we are talking... to have a path from EIM to EIAS so that I can add the current model in EIM to the active EIAS project, or add to a new project if there isnt one open.

Cj

nibeck
02-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I think what's common among a lot of these responses have to do with worflow and not features. Sure we all want a fully featurd tool, but we also want one that works seamlessly with EIAS. I really hope this is given a lot of thought when doing the development. Unfortunatelly, these workflow pieces are not nearly as "sexy" or probbaly interesting to write, so Kishore may not feel particularly motivated to concentrate on them. It's important we, as the ultimate consumers, are supportive and vocal about our desires.

This is also tough, becuase the worksflow sort of features aren't the kinds of things that sell apps, whereas the latest modeling technologies are.

I for one really miss modeler, and am anxiously awaiting it's return.

Just some thoughts.

FelixCat
02-14-2008, 11:21 PM
A good UVMapping would be very, very, very great.
Itīs about time

FelixCat

jimjam
02-14-2008, 11:59 PM
I agree. Without UV mapping, I'd imagine many people won't give the package a second thought.

Just a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be fantastic if FACT became a format you could model directly!

JM

kishorem
02-24-2008, 05:51 PM
FACT is not a modeling format yet. Being an IFF block format, it could be extended, without breaking support from other apps. Things like NURBS, ACIS etc could all be easily added to FACT. But to really benefit from this, apps reading FACT would have to add
the capability to understand these new blocks.

Certainly EI could do this across its apps. But it is a big step and needs a good deal of analysis and cost/benefit analysis.

As far as coupling the two apps (EIM and EIAS), such that editing in EIM would automatically update the model in EIAS. It is an interesting idea but it is something I would approach via some kind of scripting. There is an inherent danger and cost to couple two memory heavy apps and ramifications to maintenance and debugging will outweigh
any benefits. It also seems this "liveupdate" feature is really a "macro" of taking a saved file from one app and reopening in the other.

I agree. Without UV mapping, I'd imagine many people won't give the package a second thought.

Just a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be fantastic if FACT became a format you could model directly!

JM

nibeck
02-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Kishore, thanks for the input.

Although a complete "seamless" intergation betwen the two apps may not be the best solution, at least streamlining the integration would be a welcome addition. Some sort of intelligent "Update Model" button within Animator would be very welcome.

_mike

juanxer
02-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Perhaps it would be easier to replicate the relationship that exists between After Effects projects and Photoshop files in EIAS: the way one can relink, refresh and add specific layers from a PSD file to an AE project is quite flexible. The only thing needed would be, I guess, a way for EI to recognize FACT groups by name instead of by whatever indexing system there is, plus some add/replace/etc tools in the FACT Info window.

nibeck
02-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Agreed, just someting to be able to move changes back and forth. I realize that within Animator, this could cause all kinds of issues with textures, deformation, etc., etc. Esentially anything that's impacted by the geometry itself, but it would still be very usefull to simply "update" a model.

_mike

cjberg
02-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I was seeing this as more of an EIAS feature than an EIM... a preference that when "on-focus" of the EIAS application checks the loaded models(in RAM) with that of the model files(on disk) to check for updates... But a simple "update" button in EIAS would be leaps and bounds above today.

I like the idea of using the fac format for EIM files. That would make back/forth faster. Even if there were pieces that EIAS couldnt read, and EIM could... the ability for a single file to hold the standard fac info, plus the EIM asics piece. I would think something like a save option to save fac data with the file or not. (if this makes sense to anyone else)

Cj

Kishore, thanks for the input.

Although a complete "seamless" intergation betwen the two apps may not be the best solution, at least streamlining the integration would be a welcome addition. Some sort of intelligent "Update Model" button within Animator would be very welcome.

_mike

jimjam
03-25-2008, 07:18 AM
EIAS requests:

Ability to render selected window size in all world view windows

Ability to save view in texture info window of every group

Ability to show rotoscoped background image in all world view windows
(perhaps centered at aspect ratio of image...)

JM

paulchiap
03-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I'd like to see snapping tools similar to ViaCad and Rhino.

juanxer
03-26-2008, 12:57 AM
What I'd really want most is having some rounded capping tool: being able to select a capping face of some extruded piece or such and, instead of trying to round-bevel it (fighting the tool's parameters, as usual), just turn it into a perfectly rounded dome-like end, with some sort of pointyness control.

brianwhitecc
03-26-2008, 01:10 PM
EIM and EIAS really do need to work better together. All the previous suggestions would be great especially the ability to update a model without closing the project. Having EIAS read an EIM or SAT file directly may something for future versions. Something that might work within the limitations of the current workflow, is the ability to save multiple tessellation settings within the same exported fact file. Then select the desired tessellation in Animator for preview and different tessellation for rendering.

I wonder if this could be accomplished by a plug-in. "SAT Converter" I remember an older plug-in called "EPS invigorator". You could select to eps file from the plug-in interface and apply an extrusion. Any edits to the eps could modify the model by updating the link to the within the plug-in. All the tessellation settings could set in the plug-in interface. I'm sure that SAT conversion would be more complicated, but maybe possible??

bw

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2008, 01:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.