PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray. Is it true that...

VirtualFM
04-28-2003, 04:48 PM
I am not fluent in Maya and I heard something that I just have to confirm with those in the know.

I know that the Mental Ray version that comes free with Maya 4.5 doesn't allow for network rendering. But you can network render with Maya normal render.

I heard that if the user tries to use the Mental Ray renderer, it looses privileges of network rendering of Maya's renderer itself. So from that point on it cannot render in a network neither with Mental Ray nor with Maya itself.

This doesn't make much sense to me but I would like to confirm with the experts.

Thank you.

jeremybirn
04-28-2003, 05:21 PM
"I heard that if the user tries to use the Mental Ray renderer, it looses privileges of network rendering of Maya's renderer itself. "

False.

stunndman
04-28-2003, 05:25 PM
I know that the Mental Ray version that comes free with Maya 4.5 doesn't allow for network rendering. But you can network render with Maya normal render.

MRfM 1.5.1 allows for network rendering - it just can't be a slave to other masters - but it can act as a master and integrate slaves running the mental ray standalone version

VirtualFM
04-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Thank you guys, for enlighten me in this matter and confirming that it wasn't making any sense!

Regards,

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.