PDA

View Full Version : Maya's High Quality Rendering not working in viewports

john-o
01-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I work in game dev & need this option to be able to see normalmaps displaying on meshes.

Maya gives an error message that High Quality Rendering isn't supported by my videocard. And I get a similar error when I try to do Hardware renders.

Does anyone know of some way to configure Maya to get around the issue, or what specific deficiencies with my videocard could be the problem?

If not, I may have to return my machine, which I really don't want to do. :(

-J

P.S. My card is the Mobile Intel® GMA X3100 (& I have the latest drivers installed).
While it's not top-of-the-line, it is top-of-the-line for a tablet pc--which is what I’m using, & therefore cannot upgrade.The card specs look decent--pixel shader 4.0 support & such.....but I did read (on a non-Intel website) that while the hardware supports it, the software/drivers to support it won't be available til Q1 2008....maybe this is the problem...?

acidream
01-29-2008, 02:46 AM
The specific deficiency is your video card itself. It doesn't support the openGL features required for hardware rendering and the high quality shading view. Theres no way around it. Unfortunately your on a tablet with an un-upgradable video card so your pretty much out of luck with those features.

john-o
01-29-2008, 03:29 AM
Ok, so OpenGL 1.5 is not enough for Maya?

How the heck is anybody supposed to know? The chart describing the tech specs for the X3100 have 13 (thirteen) different categories of stuff I've never heard of & I've been working in computer graphics for over six years. Is OpenGL the important one? Another forum reply mentioned pixel shader 2.0 or higher (which my card supports along with DirectX 10).

I reeally just wat to get a handle on this stuff so I can get a machine powerful enough to make my art. But it seems like there are too many categories to anticipate incompatibilities betwen software & hardware.

Am I wrong?

MasterZap
01-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Vista? Drivers.

The X3100 is indeed supposed to support all this stuff, but "oops", under Vista, all those featuers are used for the the "Fisher-Price look" stuff.

So await the "drivers that actually work", or downgrade to XP.

/Z

john-o
01-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Actually, I am using XP. I avoided Vista because I figured tablet performance is strapped enough without the rumored demands of Vista.

Is it possible that Intel still doesn't have the driver support needed for the card even on XP?

DrYo
01-29-2008, 10:07 PM
It's not Intel's fault specifically... it's a vast conspiracy to bleed more money from professionals. For example, the GeForce and Quadro cards are basically the same, except the GeForce cards are intentionally crippled so they don't properly support "pro" features such as hardware overlay.

If you want to run Maya, you have to check the Autodesk compatibility charts BEFORE you buy any hardware. Forget about OpenGL versions, that's not relevant. The only thing that matters is that Autodesk has approved certain video hardware to run Maya. And the vast majority of all mobile chipsets are simply not up to the task.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=9683256

john-o
01-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Whoa! Are you saying that even if I get an alienbrain laptop with a top-of-the-line NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX, that it won't do Hardware Rendering?

I had looked at Autodesk's list of compatible pcs, & videocards, but it seemed kind of silly--there were so few items on it. I mean if you go by what it says, you're locked into getting 1 of 9 desktops, or 1 of 4 laptops! Plus they won't even guarantee that these few choices will work. =P

I doubt that these are the only computers that will run Maya's functions. Actually, my desktop at work ran Hardware rendering, & I think that was using a GeForce 6 or 7.

Thoughts?

DrYo
01-29-2008, 11:52 PM
If hardware is not on the chart, it's not supported. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. Try different drivers, etc.

john-o
01-30-2008, 04:45 AM
I hate computers. :)

DrYo
01-30-2008, 05:46 AM
It's not a computer problem, it's a capitalism problem. Maya's dependence on specialized hardware is by design. There is no technical reason why Maya shouldn't be able to run on consumer graphics cards. Like I said, it's a conspiracy to bleed the professionals, as if they weren't already paying enough. Don't forget, you have to pay an extra $1000 a year blood money just to get tech support for Maya.

P.S. If a particular hardware is on the approved list for an earlier version of Maya, that hardware will almost certainly work OK with a later version of Maya. In other words, if your card is on the list for 6.5 and you're running 2008, you will probably be fine.

john-o
01-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Software, hardware....close enough. I'll stick to my statement about hating computers. ;)

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they're just trying to make more $. Seems like everybody does that.

AFA Maya support, I want to go on record & say I definitely DO NOT recommend it. My company had Platinum support (the highest), & when I wrote to them with an issue, not only did they not solve the problem, but (after asking me a question or two) they never even responded to me--even after another ping.
Very weak.

Sharky0815
01-30-2008, 05:23 PM
I think it works fine for me, normalmaps and everything, although not on all systems. Linux, Maya 8.5, nvidia 7600GT. I believe it's a driver issue.

lollygag
01-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Software, hardware....close enough. I'll stick to my statement about hating computers. ;)

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they're just trying to make more $. Seems like everybody does that.

AFA Maya support, I want to go on record & say I definitely DO NOT recommend it. My company had Platinum support (the highest), & when I wrote to them with an issue, not only did they not solve the problem, but (after asking me a question or two) they never even responded to me--even after another ping.
Very weak.

Yea.. It is weak.. unfortunatly it is the only way to keep your sofware updated and current without stealing it.. even the updates and fixes within a purchased version (ie; service packs) are not available unless you keep up your platinum contract.

DrYo
01-30-2008, 07:06 PM
That assumes that keeping Maya current is a desired outcome. Ask around, you'll find that many individuals and studios prefer to hold out for service packs or point releases. Constantly upgrading to the "newest latest greatest" also means constantly fighting new bugs and trying to figure out why your overall workflow/pipeline is suddenly broken.

Platinum support is not required to download service packs. It's only required to download new features that are not included in the current retail release. For example, without Platinum support I can download Maya 8.5 SP1, but I cannot download Maya Muscle for Maya 2008.

CGOrange
02-01-2008, 01:32 AM
so, all the cards that are stated as recommended by autodesk can display high quality rendering in the viewports?

DrYo
02-01-2008, 08:12 AM
If it's on the list, it's supported. However, there will be performance variations among cards with High Quality Rendering.

Sorath
02-02-2008, 11:46 PM
displaying normalmaps in the viewport ist not only a hardware problem.
apply your texture to a surfaceshader, "delete or hide all lights!" and press shaded view. should work without high quality shading, shouldn't it?

Sphere♥
02-04-2008, 06:23 PM
It's simply a driver issue... yes, purposely limited drivers. For example, ATI wants you to buy their high-end (read "high-priced") FireGL cards for use with Maya (to support HQ rendering). However, you could easily patch their drivers (see: [HowTo] Ati Radeon -> Ati FireGL (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=23&t=227800)) to work with their consumer grade "gaming" cards, and then they worked perfectly in Maya. It's simply purposely unimplemented (in the driver's software) OpenGL functions, like per-pixel-lighting, etc..

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2008, 06:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.