PDA

View Full Version : Problem using CV curve as influence object

Kalledenandre
01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Hello.

I've run into a problem using NURBS CV curves as an influence object (using Maya 8.0).

I was following this tutorial on highend3d:
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/character/276-1.html

Everything worked fine and I really liked the results but when I saved and then opened up the scene again, the rig is broken.

The concept is using NURBS CV curves as influence objects for the lips and eyebrows etc. You create a curve along the upper lip and then paintWeight all corresponding vetices to that curve. When you deform the curve it will deform the mesh smoothly. The lip will take the shape of the curve. The problem is that when i reopen the scene and move one of the controlvertices on the curve the mesh is deformed like the whole curve was moving as a single object. It's like all the vertices of the mesh painted to the curve are affected the same and not deformed by the curves shape, but by its position only.

What bugs me is that it's working perfectly until i save and reopen. Something is not saved correctly, that must be a bug. I found a workaround which makes it even more obvious that something is wrong. If i select the skinCluster and click "update Weights" (this will screw up the weights) and then undo that action (!), the mesh deforms correctly again. I don't feel like this is a safe fix though, it's like using a bug to fix another bug.

I hope I don't confuse you all too much by this :P

Anyone has a clue? NURBS as influence objects = bad idea? Bug in Maya 8.0 ?

Thanks in advance
Kalle

Kalledenandre
01-29-2008, 04:51 PM
OK, I was googling the problem som more and found some clues. Apparently the "use component" option in skinCluster is borken in Maya 8.5. Sub-component deforming is simply not working as intended, including some double transformations problems and so on. This was fixed in 8.51 I read, but I'm limited to 8.0 in my school. Anyone know if these problems showed up in version 8.0 as the tutorial I mentioned above is intended for v6.0 and 7.0 ?

Xeash
01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
I didn't read tutorial but I may say you that use component work well in Maya 6 & 7 & 8... :)

Kalledenandre
02-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I have now tested the problem on some other computers. Same result, mesh deforms incorrect when scene is opened.

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2008, 08:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.