PDA

View Full Version : constraining a billboard between 2characters hands

anthonymcgrath
04-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I have two characters that I've animated shuffling left to right. I now want to add a billboard between them and constrain it to each characters hand (one on the left and one on the right) so when they move, the billboard rotates and moves accordingly. Can anyone suggest how to do it?

I miss softimage... :(

cheers
ant
newc
uk

anthonymcgrath
04-28-2003, 02:49 PM
I think I've found a workable solution here:

parented a locator into the hand of each character.

took my billboard and grouped it creating an extra node/axis.

constrained this group node to both locators using point constraint. this got me the average position which was pretty cool.

constrained the same group node to both locators using orient constraint. this got me the average angle between both hands. bonus coolness.

I'm quite happy with this but would love to hear other peoples approaches. some boffin will probably suggest an expression here I bet. would love to hear it!!

ant
newc
uk

anthonymcgrath
04-29-2003, 03:14 PM
I've decided to post another reply to this thread thanking all for the wondrous and overwhelming response to this query. I realise of course I'd answered my own question ten minutes after posting the original poser, but I'd still love to hear any other peeps solutions to this? :p

alexx
04-29-2003, 04:20 PM
sounds a bit like all are doing it your way :)

anthonymcgrath
04-29-2003, 04:28 PM
hehehe! Its most likely that everyone is online squabbling to get their threads replied to and aint bothering to reply to others.

yeah, my method worked fine in the end. I didn't even need the orient constraint either as their hands hardly differed in height and it didn't really change the anim that much. hey ho.

by the way, love your avatar - geeeeeeeenius!!! *points to centre of head*

alexx
04-29-2003, 04:39 PM
wow, wow..
it is NOT mine!!

i got that image by mail.. i did not do anything else but cropping and resizing it (does that already give me copyrights? ;)

anthonymcgrath
04-29-2003, 04:49 PM
probably gives you 'cowpyrights' not sure about owt else heheheh!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.