PDA

View Full Version : apha/transparency viewport/render paradox

womanonfire
04-28-2003, 01:22 PM
using Maya 4
-when i have a texture with alpha i cannot see the transparent areas when i do a render but i do see them in the viewport. In the render the areas that should be alpha render as white.
-if i instead use a separate greyscale image for transparency in the material node... i cannot see the transparent areas in the viewport but only when i render.

my question is this for those who know:
is there a way to view the transparent parts of my texture in both the viewport *and* when i render?

also:
can one use Maya's 3d paint tool to paint into the alpha channel of a texture as one can with the transparency of the material node?

thx

GrafOrlok
04-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Texture your geo with the file texture in the color channel. Open up hypershade and RMB over the file node and pick outAlpha and drag the rubberband to the material node and LMB and choose Transparency.

The renderer needs some transparency info in order to render it transparent. The hardware renderer however can use the alpha.

womanonfire
04-28-2003, 04:02 PM
thank you! that solves at least part of the paradox.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.