PDA

View Full Version : NPR techniques - good books?

Carina
04-28-2003, 12:45 PM
I've been slightly sniffing around this area a few weeks, and really want to find out more.

I am considering buying either:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558607870/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-8122803-8665415

or:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568811330/ref=sr_aps_books_1_2/202-8122803-8665415

does anyone have a view on any of these books, or perhaps a suggestion on other books on the subject?

Basically what I am looking for is something to comprehensively give me an overview of some basic techniques and some ideas how I'd go about implementing them.

jschleifer
04-28-2003, 08:41 PM
I own both those books. They're very interesting and have got lots of information about the subject.. but unless you're a math wiz & understand how to impliment shaders & stuff like that they may be a bit daunting.

I bought 'em thinking I'd write my own toon shader.. but.. ah.. that didn't happen. :)

-Jason

Scandell
04-28-2003, 09:49 PM
i found them daunting as well.

Carina
04-29-2003, 07:04 AM
I'm normally all right with maths..

hmm hmm.. I'm intrigued now, think I will have to buy them to see just how intimidating they are;)

Thing is, I've been kind of looking about for information on this sort of stuff online, but haven't found anything that I would consider to give me an overview of the subject. Most I can find is just papers which dig straight in and assumes you know exactly what they are talking about. Do the books actually introduce you to the techniques before they plunge into being daunting?

Would you say any one of them is better than the other? Cause I haven't found many reviews on the books as such.

playmesumch00ns
04-29-2003, 08:24 AM
They're both not bad, but all the information that's in these books is already on the internet. See if you can get your library to order them for you, find the things you find really interesting and just research it on citeseer.

All the authors of these books have done is taken a whole load of Siggraph, Eurographics and other conference papers, simplified them and made them a little more wordy, and put them in a book! I could have done that!

I'd seriously advise you to spend a bit of time doing some research, it'll be well worth the money you save.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.