PDA

View Full Version : Type-in rotations != MAXScript rotations

Malkalypse
01-27-2008, 06:56 PM
I am really not sure what Max uses to come up with the numbers in the Rotate Transform Type-In box. They seem to be a real pain generally, constantly flipping back and forth between positive and negative XYZ values, but I had always assumed that they matched the values gotten with $.rotation.(x/y/z)_rotation.

However, I have just discovered that this is not always the case. I am looking at an object with the following transform data shown in maxscript:

...x_rotation = 92
...y_rotation = 89
...z_rotation = 91

However, the values in the Type-In box are flipped, showing

X: -88
Y: 91
Z: -89

So I have two related questions:

1) How does MAX arrive at the values shown in the Rotate Transform Type-In box?
2) How do I get MAXScript to show me the same values?

PEN
01-27-2008, 07:41 PM
The values that you are seeing are parent space quats converted to eulers I believe. Try using http://www.paulneale.com/scripts/activeTransformEditor/activeTransformEditor.htm this tool instead and it will return the values that are found in the active controllers track.

Let me know if it is doing what you expect.

Malkalypse
02-01-2008, 01:12 AM
I've looked at that one before, and I've learned a lot from it. However, setting the values in the active list panel to [92, 89, 91] still shows up in the Rotate Transform Type-in panel as [-88,91,-89].

Also, I'm not sure about the quats-converted-to-eulers theory. Wouldn't (quatToEuler $.rotation) give that result? If it does, then that is not it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2008, 01:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.