PDA

View Full Version : game engines?

ChrisBasken
04-28-2003, 05:30 AM
If I wanted to play around with game engines -- you know, using LW for the modeling and animation cycles, then fiddling with some basic game-like interactivity -- does anyone know of any that 1) have cheap/free demo versions and 2) import LW objects and scenes?

Just wondering... :shrug:

Shade01
04-28-2003, 05:52 AM
That's a pretty broad question. There's tons of different approaches to working with lw models in each engine, they are all different. You will almost always need some sort of 3rd party import/export plug in to get your models into the game. Right now, the only game engine that supports native lightwave files is the unreal engine, unless someone knows another. What exactly are trying to do?

ub52
04-28-2003, 06:03 AM
You should check out LostPencil here (http://www.lostpencil.com/). Look in the Training CD's section. He has one specific to modeling and animating for game engines.

-ub52

ChrisBasken
04-28-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Shade01
That's a pretty broad question. There's tons of different approaches to working with lw models in each engine, they are all different. You will almost always need some sort of 3rd party import/export plug in to get your models into the game. Right now, the only game engine that supports native lightwave files is the unreal engine, unless someone knows another. What exactly are trying to do?
Nothing, in the sense that I have a clue what it would take. It's just that I have some ideas, some 3D/LW ability, and some scenario/game-design experience (not really comp games, although I have put together a few plot-intensive Neverwinter Nights mods).

The Things I Don't Have: game-engine programming ability; a lot of money. Probably the same as all of us.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what the options are.:shrug:

I suppose I could narrow it down. What I'd like to do is put together some kind of cheapo proof-of-concept that showcases the game idea and involves at least limited gameplay-like interactivity.

Maybe this isn't the right place to be asking, so I apologize for the LW-topic-stray (although I ask here because my 3D skillset is basically limited to LW).

Shade01
04-28-2003, 06:58 AM
If you just want to get your feet wet, I'd suggest working with the Unreal2k3 engine. It's been out awhile, has a strong community, a ton of tutorials and supports Lightwave pretty well. Your gonna have to shell out about $40 for the game though, the editor comes with it. I find really easy to mod for once you understand the basics. Because the editor already has a game (UT23k), you don't have to do much coding for simple stuff. Another easy to mod game is Battlefield 1942, although you will have to do some extra work to get your models into the game. The level mapping is pretty easy though.

Delucubus
04-28-2003, 10:30 AM
There's always Quake 3! Ya, its a bit old but that was my first experience when it came to modeling for games and it was a bit tedious at first but once I figured things out it was great. By now there are tons of resources for modeling for games that it should be a lot easier to learn.

Check out polycount.com, huge resource for modeling and animating for games.

freerider
04-28-2003, 10:48 AM
For UT2k3 you should really check out www.masteringunreal.com . It's part of www.3dbuzz.com. There you will find lot's of information and hours of free video tutorials on everything from building game models and importing them into the game, to scripting for the unreal game engine. It is a great site for learning about the unreal engine.

mohh
04-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Don't forget about the Serious Sam engine. It supports LightWave objects natively.

Seriously! Tutorials (http://www.seriouszone.com/features/tutorials.php)

Tudor
04-28-2003, 02:14 PM
www.virtools.com

it's great.

ClingFree
04-28-2003, 02:59 PM
If you are just getting your feet, do yourself a favor and take ub52's suggestion about going to Lost Pencil.

ChrisBasken
04-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Wow, coolio! Thanks for all the responses. :beer:

I checked out lostpencil -- looks interesting.

I didn't realize the UT2003 level editor was so robust. $40 I can spare. $40,000 I'm a tad shy of...

:airguitar

Jockomo
04-28-2003, 05:00 PM
I have to second the suggestion to check out the Serious Sam engine. They have great lightwave support, and if you actually make something that you want to sell, you can turn around and license the engine for your project and sell it commerically.

There is supposed to be a new version of the engine coming out soon, I have a feeling it's release will have something to do with the release of LW8.

And to top it off, I think Proton used to work for them.

fourd
04-28-2003, 05:02 PM
you could check out www.garagegames.com as well. You can work on existing projects or start your own. Torgue game engine license is $100.oo USD.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.