PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap im a newb at rigging! Please help me!

Irie
04-28-2003, 04:05 AM
What a generic thread title, right? well, sorry ;)

I just worked through a great little beginner rigging/setup tut and made it through to the end. However, the IK solver isnt working right... either that or my parenting of bones.

I'd explain everything, but i dont know where to begin. Its such a simple rig though, only Ik on the legs, not even on the feet. but the main problem is that i cant grab the hip joint and translate down on y while keeping the feet on the floor (bending the knees). instead, when i grab the hip and translate down, it just stretches the bone between my root and hip and the legs arent affected by IK at all?

thanks!
Matt

Irie
04-28-2003, 04:07 AM
p.s.

heres the tutorial page, in case you need it

Easy Character Setup in Maya, Theron Benson (http://enemy.mesmer.com/moebius/FMPro?-DB=article&-Format=free_tutorial_read.html&-Op=eq&ProductName=Easy%20Character%20Setup%20in%20Maya&-SortField=LearningOrder&-SortOrder=ascend&-Max=1&-Skip=0&-Find)

dmcgrath
04-28-2003, 06:55 AM
Hers some helpful advice to get you going in the right direction.

1) Create a locator and snap it to the ankle position, where the IK handle is. Then freeze transformations on the locator, and name it something you like, like leftLegControl_1 or something like that. POint constrain the IK handle to the locator (select the locator then the IK). Now hide the IK handle.
This makes the locator the control, and you can lock all the other atributes on it except for the translates.
Repeat this process for the other leg.

2)Unparent the back from the root. Whenever you see a transform node like the one you have there, then you know you have done something wrong. Not really wrong but unecessary.
I recommend point constraining the back to the root also. This lets you retain your independent rotations you want but still makes the back follow the root.

3)You have most of your joints only translated in teh x value, this is good. A couple are off a little bit on other values (I think Y), by something like .003 or so. You can take them back to 0's, it shouldn't hurt anything. If someting moves alot, then just undo the zeroing out and go on to something else.

4)You have a few of your critical joints locked on their rotates (neck, shoulders, and wrists) Why? These are very moveable joints and you will want a full range of movement on them.

5) Actually i don't think there is a 5. Do all this and see if it gets you to where you want to start playing around with animation.

If there is anything else, keep me posted.

-dan

Irie
04-28-2003, 07:30 AM
you are awesome.

thanks!

about point constraining, is it a matter of selecting the thing you want constrainted, then cntrl selecting the thing you want it constrained to, then using the tool?

or is it a bit more diluted than that?

ill let you know what happens!

I knew that darn transform was a screwup. I have taken some intro courses (more like: learn on your own because the teacher doesnt show up) and i recall the transforms showing up when i screwed up.

;)

Irie
04-28-2003, 04:52 PM
wow... so easy!

thanks dan! the locator works like a charm and i tossed out teh transform on the bones. now the root works as it supposed to.

i noticed yoru rigging tut, and once im competely through this one and have a good grasp on it, im going to move through yours. be prepared for my questions!

thanks alot man
matt

dmcgrath
04-28-2003, 10:18 PM
No problem at all, my friend. I'll do what I can to help you through the tut if you need it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.