PDA

View Full Version : A couple of my pieces (LOTS of pics, you were warned)...

FrageNSTEIN
04-16-2002, 04:58 AM
Here are a few things I have made that people seem to like:

This is my JetBIke, it is usually everyone's favorite (1280x1024):
http://members.cox.net/fragenstein.d/folio/jetbike/jetbike_desk_lrg.jpg

This is my elise, rendered with a glassy material (don't tell me it looks metal, i know. hehe.)
http://members.cox.net/fragenstein.d/folio/elise/elise_glass.jpg

And my bass guitar (has some probs):
http://members.cox.net/fragenstein.d/folio/bbg/bbg01.jpg

And lastly a brazil glass test (after i got disappointed over my elise's glass errors):
http://members.cox.net/fragenstein.d/folio/brazil_tests/wine_field.jpg

Oh yeah, and a cel shaded Boxster wallpaper(comes in two other sizes too):
http://members.cox.net/fragenstein.d/folio/walls/boxster_cel/boxsters_cel_1024.jpg

There ya go, talk.

D

halo
04-16-2002, 05:04 AM
would be nice to see the elise and other stuff finished to the same degree as the first image :)

FrageNSTEIN
04-16-2002, 05:08 AM
Those are all older except the guitar which kidn of explains it, and the bass was only an experiment.

D

Korgath
04-16-2002, 01:26 PM
I like the Jetbike... :thumbsup:

Henrik Hörlin
04-17-2002, 02:28 AM
Alright.
First. If you reduce the imagesize you don´t need to warn people about lots and lots of pictures. attach a link if you want to show a larger pic. :)
Second. The reason the jet-bike is a fav is probably because it´s the most original of the peices. The rest is somewhat plain and ordenary.
If I were you (which I´m not, but anyway...) I´d make these models more interesting like this. I asume that you have modeled these yourself and want to show that you can do this sort of thing, and do it good.
The glassy (metal-ish) car. It looks like something my grandmother has in her cupboard. This has a complex shape that doesn´t do well in glass. Give it a real finish.
The guitarr (which looks more like a five(?) stringed bass) is nice and all but does not invite to enjoy the simplicety in the shapes. give the image more colour. Render in a wireframe and superimpose over the model or something flashy. Make it feel like it is a musical (rock?) instrument! put it on a stage or something.
The brazil glasses. (you like glass don´t you). Again this culd be from my grandmothers cupboard! Make the image more interesting. It´s a waste of time showing that your program can render caustics and refractions. You might do one of them pyramids they have on those glamour parties and pour wine (or bubbly) in them. Sugest you use a nice background picture from a party to enhance the effects.
The boxter. Very contemporary, I´ve never understood why this style is so hyped right now. I never liked the style so I won´t comment on this one.
These are all friendly advice given in the hopes that you read this with a smile and think: Next time, Gadget... next time. Or at least think: I´d might try this one day...
:D :wavey:

FrageNSTEIN
04-17-2002, 04:38 AM
Well, I DO have replies to your comments actually.

1. The image sizes are big because I did not want to take the time to reduce them, i just linked to my site.
2. I have rendered my elise plenty of times with real paint, i just wanted to do it with glass now.
3. The guitar was not supposed to look techy or wirey, just look like a bass. My bass in fact. I ahve one just like it, a Yamaha BB-G5S
4. The glasses were only a Brazil test to improve the glass I used on the elise, and uhhh, it does not even have caustics.

Don't mean to sound rude.

D

Henrik Hörlin
04-18-2002, 04:20 AM
You don´t sound rude. Just like someone who shuldn´t need to explain himself why his pictures look the way they do: :)
It´s just that we (I at least) see a lot of "plain" images here on the forum where people culd do alot more than they know. (Maybe that´s why they put it on the forum) :) But you have obviously experimented with some of the pictures a bit. And even if the models are technically good the picture does not (in my opinion) show this in an interesting enough way.
When showing something you´ve done:
½ of the work is technichal skill
½ of the work is esthetic skill
½ of the work is skill in presentation. This is what I meant you shuld practice on.
Given with an happy hart!
/Keep it up!

urgaffel
04-18-2002, 06:35 AM
No offense, but why post the glass test?

GRMac13
04-18-2002, 11:04 AM
Henrik, that's 3 halves. lol JK

Henrik Hörlin
04-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Henrik, that's 3 halves. lol JK

I know!
I kinda whated to emphezise (how DO you spell that?) that an image is more than the sum of it´s techneques.
If you want to say something, say it with presence or give people something to think/talk about. We have the power to create our own universe for god sake... (non intentional pun)
:bounce: :bounce: :thumbsup:

echo
04-19-2002, 10:11 AM
I have to agree about the presentation skill, if your images were presented with better renders, it would give a better impression.
The car seems well modeled, with nice textures and reflection material, I'm sure it would improve it a lot.
Keep it up ;)

FrageNSTEIN
04-20-2002, 01:13 AM
Hmm, i gotcha. Well, I am always open to learning something new, any specific advice for me?

D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.