PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix the GAPP warning

rolf
01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
GAPP 0.6 warn 092037: triangulation of polygon list from object polySurfaceShape3 failed

Hi,
When I render in Mental Ray I get the above warning message in the maya ”Output Window” what does it mean and how can I fix it, does it effect my render times? . The mesh comes from CAD that has been imported to maya via polytrans.

Bitter
01-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Sounds like something in the topology of the shape makes it fail. Select the object named and take a look at it. See if it is manifold, etc. Or try a poly cleanup in Maya. I have received illegal geo before that failed to render because of something stupid. :-)

rolf
01-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the tip. I tried what you suggested but with no luck. But here's the good news, to simplify the testing of your ideas I exported (Export Selection) one of the problem meshes and when I opened it and test rendered the problem was gone so I then went back to the full scene and exported it and all the render warnings were gone, funny eh! And as a bonus the render time was more then halved!!!
Thanks

note; I exported with the default settings

rolf
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Bad news.
The warnings turn up again when I change my Mental Ray primary render from Scanline to Rasterizer. So I will just have to stick to Scanline I think. I can live with that.

Bitter
01-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Sometimes importing it like that can clear up some garbage in the scene, especially if the mesh came from somewhere else. As for the Rasterizer, it can be driven by the shading samples for tessellation. Since it's a mesh from somewhere else the problem might originate from the starting point. That gets annoying to track down.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2008, 02:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.