PDA

View Full Version : Animation - stepping through keys without Undo queue

gonzalimator
01-24-2008, 02:06 AM
I'm still pretty new to Maya and I found it frustrating that when I'm animating, all of my previous and next key actions were being recorded in the undo history. This was obviously very annoying when after toggling through several keys back and forth I wanted to undo a key that was previously set (or whatever action you want to get rid of...)

I searched all over for this information but I couldn't find it. I came across the mel command "undoInfo" here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4828096&postcount=2) and then created custom Next Key and Previous key Hotkeys to include it. I thought I would share this information in case people out there didn't know this was possible.

In the Hotkey Editor Window, go to Playback Control and add two new hotkeys. (I called mine "CustomNextKey" and "CustomPreviousKey". Place the following commands in each (not the underlined bit):

CustomNextKey Hotkey
undoInfo -swf off;
currentTime -edit `findKeyframe -timeSlider -which next`;
undoInfo -swf on;

CustomPreviousKey Hotkey
undoInfo -swf off;
currentTime -edit `findKeyframe -timeSlider -which previous`;
undoInfo -swf on;

Now just reassign the "." to your new Next hotkey and the "," to your new Previous hotkey and enjoy instant/predictable undos. Nice!

M.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2008, 02:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.