PDA

View Full Version : Viewsonic monitors. VA vs VX vs VP series. Difference??

dododo
01-23-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi all.

My 8 years old 17inch LCD finaly done it's life. So now I have good excuse to replace it. :)

I have been using Samsung 171T and I didn't like its picture quality. Especialy the colours. Although I was told this was professional model the colours were not accurate, the contrast was too strong that I can't really see the details in dark areas. This also applies when I watch/edit movies/footages and gaming. This was also evident with other samgsung LCD monitors I have came accross(15inch and 17inch ones. No recent models) also had exactly same characteristic. This made me to stay away from Samsung monitors for this time.

So I started looking at view sonic monitors. First I was thinking of getting NX series, which is LCD monitor HDTV hybrid, but soon I learned this was TV first then monitor second. Having no DVI input was also big turn off.

Now the rest of their product lines are distinguished as VA(value models), VX(gaming models) and VP(so called professional models).

The question I would like to ask, is there actual difference in picture quality? Because VP models costs a lot more than VX models, where VX and VA models doesn't cost much different. I know you can tell difference from specs. But specs are specs. They dont always represent actual quality of the monitor, especialy the colour correctness and showing details in dark areas. I'm not concerned about resolutions, as all those offerings in 20~22inch sizes seems high enough for me.

Thanks in advance. :)

Signal2Noise
01-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Wow. Out of curiosity how much did you pay for that LCD 8 years ago?

Sorry but I have no comments on the Viewsonic LCDs. I use to swear by Viewsonic CRTs back in the day but I prefer the Samsung LCDs. I currently use a 245BW which is very nice (said Borat-style) :thumbsup: .

dododo
01-23-2008, 04:15 AM
[edit] Sorry never mind. Did some more search on Samsung monitors and it seems it still has that characteristics. I was looking at 204B as that's the only availble models for me localy here. Thanks. Back to viewsonic I'd say.

gamedeveloper
01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
It's probably based upon panel type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_film_transistor_liquid_crystal_display

biliousfrog
01-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm sure that I read somewhere that there's only two main LCD screen manufacturers, Samsung being one of them and the better one at that. That isn't to say that monitors don't vary but you can buy a pretty cheap LCD with the same screen as a hi-end "branded" model.

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2008, 07:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.